Tank Journal Archive

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Illumagic Combo Ray 30 Thread
Looked what arrived today. My illumagic combo ray. Everything was packed nicely and snugged. First impression.. the unit itself is so well built and looks very elegant. The DIY part of this fixture was actually my favorite part. Having to actually take apart the unit to install the leds made it a fun experience. (Im no DIY guy). The fixture only took me to build from start to end in about 10 minutes.. note I couldn't take pictures in between as my hands were covered in thermal paste. Lastly id like to say that unit offers nano tank keeper's like myself a very affordable sleek unit with that no hassle DIY feel.

Here are some pictures of the box and its contents. The light fully put together and it running on 10% just to show the colours ive chosen. CW, RB, CW, UV, CW & B.

Cheers guys, if you guys would like to know anything further. Drop @dalua_australia a quick message and hell sort you out with anything you need to know about the illumagic led fixture range.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Looks like it comes with remote control these days. Mine is a 60cm joined to a 30cm - I have changed LED colours out over from a marine set up to a freshwater set up as my needs changed, great light and slick product. Go Illumagic ;)

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Looks like it comes with remote control these days. Mine is a 60cm joined to a 30cm - I have changed LED colours out over from a marine set up to a freshwater set up as my needs changed, great light and slick product. Go Illumagic ;)
Yeah dude the controller is cool as, set the intensity and has sunrise and sunset function. My only slight disappointment was that I was given my silicone optics in the parcel.. Really wanted to see how much brighter they make the light.

Yeah they're a very nice looking unit man. I like the rotatable legs a lot.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Well... Optics won't make the light brighter to your eyes as the beams are more concentrated toward the object you wish to illuminate. The optics however concentrate the PAR and PUR . Please don't ever look into these LED as you will see stars in your eyes for a long time after.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Well... Optics won't make the light brighter to your eyes as the beams are more concentrated toward the object you wish to illuminate. The optics however concentrate the PAR and PUR . Please don't ever look into these LED as you will see stars in your eyes for a long time after.
Yeah dude thanks for clearibg that up. I need the par to be more concentrated as my corals have been adapted to bright light and look their best under it too. Hence why I ordered the silicone optics.. just woulda been so much easier on both parties if they were sent together.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Put the new light over the tank. Its pretty bright with the silicone optics. Love how it looks and nifty using the controller to turn on and off the unit. Only issue is that I've gotta change the normal blue which you see on the left for a royal blue to even out the color to a 50/50 white and blue ratio. But none the less. Really like how this unit feels and looks.

image.jpg

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
What about white ( no optics) royal blue optics , blue no optics , UV or violet ( no optics) royal blue optics, white ( no optics)

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
What about white ( no optics) royal blue optics , blue no optics , UV or violet ( no optics) royal blue optics, white ( no optics)
Ive tried all the combos you can think of and the blues do not mix. Looks retarded to be honest. Even with both white and blue on 100% you can see the two different blues divided into two sides of the tank and with just 100% blues.. the tank is clearly divided by two different shades of blue. Waiting on the royal blue to arrive but I face another dielmma.. dont know what type of thermal paste im suppose to use. As I threw out my old one as I didn't think id have to replace the leds.. any one have left over or know the actual type of thermal paste

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Ive tried all the combos you can think of and the blues do not mix. Looks retarded to be honest. Even with both white and blue on 100% you can see the two different blues divided into two sides of the tank and with just 100% blues.. the tank is clearly divided by two different shades of blue. Waiting on the royal blue to arrive but I face another dielmma.. dont know what type of thermal paste im suppose to use. As I threw out my old one as I didn't think id have to replace the leds.. any one have left over or know the actual type of thermal paste
Well, you don't need to worry so much, the lights don't need thermal paste to work effectively. I have run my combo ray for one and a half years without thermal paste. Have you tried my configuration / lens recommendation?

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I have seen your original configuration set up at a LFS and I agree it looks out of place , you kind of have to work on a set up that suits your taste. I have all the available colours going in my light and don't really notice any blending issues.

Are you doing this in a water filled tank?

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
I have seen your original configuration set up at a LFS and I agree it looks out of place , you kind of have to work on a set up that suits your taste. I have all the available colours going in my light and don't really notice any blending issues.

Are you doing this in a water filled tank?
Yeah it looks really out of place but im just waiting for my royal blue chip to arrive and also hear back from anthony what type of thermal paste they supply with the combo ray as I need to buy a generic version to glue the chip down and I dont wanna use the wrong paste.

Would you know by any chance? I did want the original supplied glue but he doesnt have spares....

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Your Royal Blue LED's should be arriving by Wednesday @JimmyDang, as for the thermal paste i'm getting a response tonight.
Yep like I keep telling everyone. Such good customer service with dalua.. Try dealing with other companies.. Takes a very long time. And thanks dude. Just here awaiting for your reply man. Keen to get the tank up and running with the combo ray by next week or this week even.

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
I can post you my Comboray paste but I don't get back from holidays until Monday.
Yeah I would appreciate that very much dude. It's just one of things you know. Abit OCD. The rest are thermal pasted on so I'd like the idea of them all being. Monday sounds cool dude.

I'll cover whatever it cost to post it. A couple bucks for a little postage thing. Just inbox me dude and I'll send through what you want