Tank Journal Archive

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
tested it all again last night

Ph 8.2
ammo 0
nitrites 0
nitrates cant tell if it's 0 or 5ppm API kit sucks for this one

Dont think I can ask for much better then that, although that does seem awful fast compared to what some people say to expect to wait, I'll give it another week before anything goes in just to be safe.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
put a stromb in today, it's loving the amount of crap on the sand, also did a 10L water change and added a couple of small mushies which I think I have too much light for

they are ugly little buggers

ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x146_DR_JOSHUA_P1210040.jpg

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
So one of my rocks is getting pretty bad hair algae, but none of the others are. Will doing a couple of decent water changes this week help in stopping it before it spreads too much? Pretty sure the main part of the cycle has been and gone

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Almost 4 weeks since start up, only extra thing I have added in the past week is a hammer which is loving life. The couple of mushie polyps I added at the same time as the stromb have all but dissapeared.

This pic you can see the hair algae I was talking about in the previous post, but I went away over the weekend and came back to find it all but gone (along with an almost over flowing skimmer cup). However there are some other patches popping up on some of the other rocks. So another 10L water change was done last night and will do another later in the week

ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x146_DR_JOSHUA_P1210037.jpg

The Xenia also needs to be trimmed back majorly, it has gone from the 4 heads I started with to 9 now. I can see why some people would call it a weed

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I had the same issue with mushrooms for the first few years even though they are supposed to be amongst the easiest to keep. I would try again in a few months once things are more established and the tank is producing higher levels of nutrient.

Love the aquascape!

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Bought a red sea reef foundation test kit over the weekend, and found cal= 480 , dkh= 6-7 mg= 1600

That would be cal is good, alk too low and mg slightly too high?

I tested kh in my freshly mixed water for a change and it was showing 5 dkh ????? It's only a cheapy brand ASW ocean pure which I was just using to cycle it with but maybe it's already time for a change in brands. which sucks as I have heaps left still but with any luck most will be used while cycling the big tank

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
yea thats what i have done for now, added half a tea spoon of baking soda to my next batch of water mixing, 20 L enough for 2 changes, and will slowly bring the tank itself up with my top ups through the week

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I must say this exactly why I started up this tank before my 4fter, so I could get my head wrapped around these type of things. As I have been reading so much and it wasn't making too much sense the more you get in to it. But now I am actually experiencing it it's all so plain as day.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
wooo going to pick up more free corals tonight from the same guy who gave me the xenia, gotta love freebies. Just some fluffy morphs and and some zoas

This is his tank BTW, he just sent me a pic of his slight rescape. Just ignore the cyano, he had a pretty big outbreak when he changed to LED and has been fighting ever since, this in an RSM250

[Broken External Image]:http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x146/DR_JOSHUA/IMG-20120204-00193.jpg

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
freebies, like always excuse my crappy photo taking

bright green fluffy opening up nicely
ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x146_DR_JOSHUA_P2080053.jpg

bright orange zoas, which are taking there time to open up but he said they were really picky and would take their time

ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x146_DR_JOSHUA_P2080051.jpg

and this stick of zoa's I bought but got a lot of polyp, been in there about a week now
ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x146_DR_JOSHUA_P2080052.jpg

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Hey Josh, nice zoos, I found the red ones like yours tricky too, mine died out a year ago... Nice eagle eyes in the second pic. They are a great zoo to have in the collection as they glow under blue lIghts.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
VaultBoy I have a couple of heads of xenia here if you want them they are just sitting in the sand bed resting on a small rock hopefully which they should soon grab, I trimmed it all back only keeping a small amount for myself