Tank Journal Archive

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Yup I move on sunday :) In the same boat also things were looking good and everything was going great and now fingers crossed nothing bad comes of it!

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
How did the move go? Heard that Ken fucked off early, lazy bastard :rolleyes
decided moving a tank is a bad idea lol.
Stock started going back in today as the water was too cold. It's a little murky atm, but it's not too bad,

One fish loss. Blue tang is also on it's side, but that's hardly uncommon when he's a bit stressed. Most of SPS don't look good, but everything seems ok.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
You have the start of a nice scape going from what I seen the other day mate :)
Hahaha, I hope so, though not much effort went into that. I still haven't got an image in my head of where everything's going to go yet. Hopefully something will come to me over the weekend.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I might get to posting some new pics soon lol.

The monti has come back to life. The rest of the SPS never recovered after the move :(

Everything else is largely OK. Added a few more additions to to the tank (and no I'm not saying what, someone will call the tang police lol).
The alk is still quite low, which has always been a problem, but back to working on getting it levelled out again.
Have been more focussed on @Loony's Frags lately than anything else. I need to do a lot more fragging, but I'm out of space already with the frags I have.

2013 Objectives:
- Dosing pump. Time for the calc, alk and mag to get under control properly.
- Decent wavemakers.Current ones are too noisy, and I want some control.
- Replace return pump for the DT. The Red Devil I use doesn't quite have enough head for my liking.
- Replumb the frag tank. Largely using hoses right now, but they're a problem when there's air in them, so I need to something a little more permanent.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
First 2013 update. Woot!

Object one achieved - finally have a dosing pump in. Grabbed a Kamoer 3 channel from @K&J Aquatics gave it a test then rigged it up.
Need to get a pipe holder to hold those pipes in the sump.
This was a pretty easy set up, but I did need a bit more hose than what comes with it. No big deal - I used some air hose I had for the outlet pipes. I kept the inlet pipes using the supplied hose as it's a little narrower and should stop the hose sucking in air and otherwise stressing the pumps.

My mounting job is a little average just at the moment. I really need to re-work my entire cabinet as it's really not doing it for me, so in the mean time I've gone with a quick solution with bits laying around the house.

Currently programmed for 72ml calc/alk a day over 24 doses, and 20ml mag a day over 24 doses. All are a bit low at the moment, so this should help get them back up to a reasonable level, then I'll start trying to fine tune. My dosing calcs were based on the Maintaining calc/alk guide in the Wiki, converting to litres (I worked off 550l) and rounded down for calc and alk. The mag I just took a stab in the dark with as I'm too lazy to do the maths just yet, but the mag is low, so this might help work its way up.

dosing1.jpgdosing2.jpg

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Waiting to be taken.. one day. Really hard to get the lighting right at the moment. I get a lot of reflection while it's daylight, and it gets dark so late the lights are going off, and you know I'm way too lazy to change the light cycle :P

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
uploadfromtaptalk1364112614650.jpg

New toy from @K&J Aquatics. Running Reef Octopus biospheres.

Almost out of NPX biopellets in the TLF reactor and never been super happy with the movement in it regardless of hiw big a pump I hook up. The Avast MR5 holds more media and gets better movement. Got it fired up while the TLF reactor is still going given the new pellets will take a couple of weeks to work.
Once its empty I might run GAC in it.

Ken mentioned he is going to get me a new return pump which will be good. Decided to rig up something in the sump with PVC that the reactors can all connect to so I can cut down the number of pumps. Will use the old return for that and put in a ball valve tap setup so I can connect a hose and use it to drain the sump as syphon is a pain and I like to flush it every couple of months.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Last FTS was September, ffs! :rage

That media reactor looks great, will definitely be on my list when/if I ever upgrade.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Last FTS was September, ffs! :rage
Here you go you bloody big sook! :D
FTS2503.JPG

Um, it's not really a scape as much as just where everything landed after I moved house. Things just kinda stayed in the same spot after that. Apologies for shitty photo. My tripod blew to pieces yesterday so I had to take that handheld.
You can see a few zoa colonies that I keep up in the top left to get the out of the way and otherwise let them grow out. Not really planned and not easily scapable given I'm moving stuff up there a bit. The rest of the colonies are elsewhere :P
You will notice the makeshift frag rack up the back. It's for real strays that I just throw up there and forget about.

Waiting on a Tunze 6095 to replace the JVP on the left as it makes a fair racket. Eventually both will be 6095s.
Been mentally revising the plumbing for this tank and the frag tank as it was largely hoses thrown around because it was quick and long term thought wasn't high on the agenda at the time. Decided my current return pump when it's moved to handle reactors can do the frag tank as well, which is good.. gets me down to two pumps running for it. I've been debating halving the return section of the sump once it's plumbed properly then stick in a little refugium and get some macro going.

Also been strongly debating solutions for frag grow out systems as space is a problem (just like the money to build this stuff). I keep thinking about it. Luckily my wallet isn't facilitating such things right now :P

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
That's a beasty frag rack! haha.
Yup, it's damn ugly, but it suits it's purpose. It's a pain in the arse to get to as well which is actually kinda good. Occasionally I actually get to it and find some zoas that have grown out nicely..... or I find empty tiles! Great place to stick single polyps though! Anything I frag that I don't hold out much hope for usually winds up back there.
Normally I shoot from higher so you can't see it (I did that with my last FTS I think), but the bloody tripod fell to pieces on Sunday. First I hit a kangaroo coming home and dinted my car, then my Manfrotto tripod fell to bits (Manfrotto are like the Aston Martins of the pro tripod brands). I don't want to know what the hell is going to break next!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Hopefully not the glass ...

I actually like the frag rack, as you say serves a purpose and nicely tucked away most of the time.