Tank Journal Archive

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
what about putting a hansen ball valve on it?
One day. After I take that excess rock out and the weir volume goes back to normal.
I'll probably worry about it when I get around to frag tank time, as I'll buy a batch of decent fittings all in one go - I'd have to order a hansen, so might as well wait until I can do the lot.

V

'vspec'

I think your doing well brother.

Hell ~ doubly good, your from the country:p

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
One day. After I take that excess rock out and the weir volume goes back to normal.
I'll probably worry about it when I get around to frag tank time, as I'll buy a batch of decent fittings all in one go - I'd have to order a hansen, so might as well wait until I can do the lot.
your local plumbing or irrigation supplier should stock hansen valves. Dont bother looking at bunnings.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
clowns.jpg

My latest additions. Think I'll call them Jack & Jill. Only because calling them Ken & Jen occurred to me after I named them :D *ducks for cover*

They've been in since late last night. They came out of different tanks when I bought them, so I figured I'd release them at opposite sides of the tank. First thing Jack did was swim over to Jill, and they've been hanging around each other ever since.

Photo is shit. Hard to focus in the dark lol.

View attachment 4264

My latest additions. Think I'll call them Jack & Jill. Only because calling them Ken & Jen occurred to me after I named them :D *ducks for cover*

They've been in since late last night. They came out of different tanks when I bought them, so I figured I'd release them at opposite sides of the tank. First thing Jack did was swim over to Jill, and they've been hanging around each other ever since.

Photo is shit. Hard to focus in the dark lol.
lol must of been love at first sight hehehe:p

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
New FTS
june16fts.jpg

Excuse the angle - taken from above shooting down.

Added a fourth row of LEDs at the weekend, and mixed some of the blues and royal blues up. Every LED row now has all 5 LED channels running across it. A little extra wiring, but a lot easier for me to make changes later. Took around 10 hours to rebuild it. Wired in a plug and socket set up so I can easily disconnect the whole build and remove it from the tank.
Still to do: put some ali strips across the runs so they all become one whole unit. Stops me from moving individual rows when I need space, but at least I'll be able to just pick the whole thing up and get it out of the way. Also waiting on some angled pieces so I can mount the runs up higher than they are.

Next on the list: Frag tank. Waiting on pricing.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
That angle changes the whole look of the tank in a picture mate! We like this shot :)
Hahaha - trying to make it different from different angles and directions was sorta something I was aiming for :D
At least looking down you can see quite a bit of the stuff that you won't see straight on.

The gully area is up for a re-work at some stage... when I have more stuff to put in there. :P

The duncan is starting to open up a little more where it's sitting now. Has taken a while to find a place it likes. :confused:

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Looking good David, well done :)
Thank you. Bit of work to do yet with the lighting. The camera is lying a little with the colour temp. I think I need a little more white up the front in the middle as it has a very cold feeling. The further back you get, the warmer it feels. Just a couple of minor adjustments I think.
I'm not super concerned by it, but it's a little bug bear.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
A couple of people already know, but most don't. I've caught the frag tank bug - mostly because I'm sick of frags vanishing down to the back of the tank where I can't get them!
So:
3x1x1 frag tank to be hooked into this system. It will sit on the bottom shelf of an adjacent tank stand with the plumbing running back over to the sump. They're quite close, and it's not up very high so it shouldn't be an issue. This size should fit the space I have for it quite well. It's probably overkill, but I'm wanting to focus on establishing colonies of things like zoas before I put them into the DT. Locally, no one sells coral either, so perhaps there might be some market down there later on for local trades or making a few bucks to cover the cost....

The tank has been ordered. Going for pretty straight forward approach. Ideally, I want to have it two tiered - basically sand base with egg crate in it, Back half of tank will have a shelf that'll be about 15cm or so up. Under it I'll have some broken up live rock and a heater back there. Hard to explain, will make more sense when it's done :p
Ideally, it'll be something that I can isolate and run as an independent (though sump and skimmerless) system if necessary. The live rock hidden under the back shelf will help with that, and will let me get rid of some of the excess out of the sump. Will also be a good ready source for rock to grow things on.
The idea of the heater at the back is to assist with reducing heat loss. The room is typically cold, and the main tank heaters run off a single controller. This way the system will have an independent heater as well.

Plumbing: I've ordered hansen bulk heads, ball valve and some elbows. I prefer to avoid 90deg, but I won't have a lot of space behind this tank, so 90deg it is. These should be here tomorrow. The rest of it will be stuff either laying around or will be bought from Bunnings.

Return: I have a spare Hailea 1000l pump kicking around. Used to use it on the nano, and it managed to maintain some pretty decent head when it had to push over 6 foot up, so it should do the job. Only 2 foot of head on this, so should be fine.

Lighting: Just built a 24 LED Aquastyleonline job - 10 x 10000k whites, 10x royal blue, 2x red, 2 xUV, 2 x meanwell drivers. Mounted on the old heatsink from my nano LED build and currently using a RapidLED controller. Ordered from them Saturday. FedEx tried to deliver to me Monday, so can't complain about turn around time.

Flow: NFI yet. I have a spare JVP kicking around. Probably way too much flow in a tank with 100l~ water, but anyway. I have a smaller one in the DT that I may swap it over for if it's a problem.