Tank Journal Archive

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Lol, you'll never tell the difference if I take a photo of it.

More importantly - just used 18 frag tiles. Mostly on one morph that split a million times over a bit of rock I don't want in this tank, a couple of zoos and some random stuff. Some of these morphs might be destined for the Vic meet I think... along with some palys and anything else I get too much of between now and then :D
A lot of this stuff is destined to be stuck in unusual places around the rock work,

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Latest FTS (a bit lousy, I did this handheld):
DSC_5557.JPG

Looks a little blue just to the left of centre; it isn't quite that blue when you're in front of it. Excuse the mess on the back glass, I really need some snails, so I'm letting those eggs grow :D
I didn't think that the reds made much difference until I stuck my finger over one and actually saw the difference.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Dave, Dave, Dave. looking good my friend. what optics are you using seems to be spotlighting rather badly! things are starting to improve! whats the next step?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Matt, I have found the same colour banding when taking photo's but you don't notice it in real life. My thinking is that the shimmer effect created by the water movement on the surface focuses the different colours which is captured by the camera when using fast shutter speeds but is not something seen by our eyes.

That's my explanation anyway :rolleyes

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
^What MagicJ said. I notice the spotlighting if I've just done a water change and theres a bit of crap around the water. As the cycle winds down to just blues, you see it more, though I'm changing the layout which might improve that too.
I'd just done a water as well, so that doesn't help the water clarity :D

Initially the outers were all 60s and the inners were all 80 degrees, but since I've moved things around, who the hell would know what's where. Seems to make fuck all difference, but at least it's keeping the algae on the glass down. Those lights are also about 3 inches above the water surface, so some spotlighting is gonna happen. Even before I put optics on that happened!

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Playing around with one of dad's macro lenses yesterday - was a 50-70mm, though one of these is recording it was shot at 105mm, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Played around with white balancing and worked out how to get a closer to acceptable result with the D70. His D200 is a lot more functional for this, but I managed to actually see coralline in its true colours without a flash.
Neither image has been modified, both shot at 1/60th second.

zoas.JPG
mrt.JPG

There were a stack of pics taken with the d200 as well, of which I don't have. Dad wants to have a play with them. He even managed to get some shots of my CBS, but they're hardly post worthy as there was no where near enough light. His photos were a lot better than mine, though it was his first experience shooting completely through glass, water and under this type of lighting.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Latest FTS:

may27fts.jpg

You really can't tell from the pic, but the rock on the right has been moved back into the corner (plenty of room for water to get round though), and I pulled about 8kg of rock out. It doubled the usable space on the sandbed which was my objective. The move was only made a couple of hours ago, so a few corals haven't quite gotten over that just yet.

Getting close to getting the lighting finished. I'm working on trying to raise the LED runs a bit higher. Hoping to have a dosing pump in soon as this tank is chewing alk and calc.

I'll post pics of the frags from yesterdays meet once they start to recover.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
When you see it looking down compared to what it was, it's even more obvious. Front on shots miss a lot through the centre - you can't see the elegance or the scolly...

I can get more if I moved the bit of rock just left of centre, but that piece is seriously structural, so moving it will be a butt load of work... which won't be happening any time soon.

The fluffy on the left (below the hammer) is well inflated today :D

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Tanks looking mint lots of nice pretty coraline going on!! and you DIY LED guys are doing some good work with your light setups!!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
whats the current led mix dave? looking good! little spotlighting going on atm what optics are you using?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Matt, I can't even recall my LED mix any more. There are 2 reds, and 4 violets in there - there's also some whites and blues on that channel, though running at 500mA. The front ratios are about 2:1 blue to white. 3rd channel is 1:1, though it's going to loose some whites soon.
The spotlighting you mentioned in post 284 lol. See Shane's response :D
My spacing has them quite far apart, and they're quite close to the water so the spotlighting is a little more pronounced than it would be if they were either closer or higher up. I am going to raise them up around 100mm, which won't get rid of the spotlighting much, but it might take the edge off it.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I so need to stop shooting handheld... just realised how grainy and out of focus that pic is at full size :D
Pot shots without adjusting the settings don't help lol

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I dumped the excess rock into the sump.. no room in the rock section, so theres some in the return and some in the skimmer section. That caused some changes to how much water sits in the weir.. it had been noisy as there was never much in it, and the bunnings ball valve is hard to tune. This change seems to have pushed the volume in the weir up dramatically. It's still below overflow. If I add more water to the sump, it just winds up increasing the overflow height.

Not too worried - the flow seems to be about right, but at least it's shut the damn gargling noise up that was happening every few minutes :P