Reef Discussion

Which LED Brand are you running and for how long have you been running it ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
Led Light Poll
Just keen to see what kind of popularity and longetivity different brand name LEDs have

dazzamx

Feb 24, 2015
I run 2 X gen 3 pro Radions on my SPS Red Sea reefer, 12 months
An Illumagic blaze 90cm S series on my frag tank just over 2 years
An Illumagic blaze 60cm S series on my 120 lt Aqua reef 2 I/2 years

Last edited:

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I'd click GHL Mitras button however understand the awesomeness of this light would overshadow the competition, thus its not on your list.

PS only joking & wish I could go back to my ATI T5's

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Ran illumagic's for three years before moving to halides :) would 100% recommend them but if I went led again it would be Radion gen 4's

Wazza22

Oct 3, 2015
Perth
I got 3 of the Coral Box Moon LED's here for just on 12 months now (i got the older 53 watt model)
Decent light for the price

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I've had Maxspect Razor - not bad - limited spectrum and control
Then Maxspect Ethereals - loved them - slick, better spectrum and wifi control
Now running Radion Gen 4 pro's - absolutely brilliant - these are just a whole step above the rest.

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
I've had Maxspect Razor - not bad - limited spectrum and control
Then Maxspect Ethereals - loved them - slick, better spectrum and wifi control
Now running Radion Gen 4 pro's - absolutely brilliant - these are just a whole step above the rest.

Jeez Dave ..sounds like you change lights every 6 months mate :eek

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
I also went from Maxspect Razor to Radion.

Maxspect Razor for 3.5y, still packing a punch, the spectrum was good, but inferior to Radion.
Radion Gen3, less than 6mth, spectrum is great.

Most LEDs, with the correct cooling, will last 5y or more...

Jake89

Aug 17, 2016
Nowra
I'm all for DIY. With the right skills and knowledge you get exactly what you want and can build it to suit your tank. I've got 6 panels of 12 3w LEDs to cover 3x2 feet. Love the colour and it cost me less that half of what one half decent off the shelf light would cost and I would probably need 2 of those to get the same coverage.

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
I'm all for DIY. With the right skills and knowledge you get exactly what you want and can build it to suit your tank. I've got 6 panels of 12 3w LEDs to cover 3x2 feet. Love the colour and it cost me less that half of what one half decent off the shelf light would cost and I would probably need 2 of those to get the same coverage.
With the right skills and knowledge is the keyword. Quality DIY kits barebones cost around 200 bucks cheaper than a equivalent. But I am not sure the effort involved is worth it ..Mileages may vary though

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I have to say the DIY unit I built a couple of years ago with top quality Crees from the States and Arduino run were a great set of lights and worked a treat.
I only moved to the commercial lights when I went to a bigger tank and wanted something that was more controllable and wifi.
I've always been convinced you can build a killer set of DIY leds.

Jake89

Aug 17, 2016
Nowra
My knowledge and skill is pretty crap and my light is pretty basic. Didn't want wifi or any fancy disco effects so there was no point buying something I didn't need.
Would love to get readings once the tank is set up.

I also like the idea of being able to replace components alot easier as well. No need to replace an entire led puck because one is blown or have to replace the entire light if a drives fails or something like that and also the possibility to expand if the need arises.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Currently using Ethereals thanks to a recommendation from @daveH :confused:

Previously made my own LED lights which was fine when they were hidden away behind a hood but now I have an open topped tank and you can't beat the look of a nice commercially made product.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside

Previously made my own LED lights which was fine when they were hidden away behind a hood but now I have an open topped tank and you can't beat the look of a nice commercially made product.
How about some pics of your new tank and lights?

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017

Not every commercially made product looks good IMHO but would be hard to make something like the ethereal the DIY route unless the housing is made available. Having said that..maan those coral box LEds that Waaza pointed out look sweet ..perfect for the price and value.. seems just the right mix....Not as nice looking as the ethereal but substantially cheaper with quality ingredients if the seller was to be believed and the you tube reviews

Last edited: