Tank Journal Archive

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Lighting Choices..
So as you might be aware I have cancelled my order for the Giesemann Futura at this point in time as I wont be receiving the tank as soon as I thought i would, with this I would like to congratulate @NiCd on his new fish as a result of me losing a bet lol.

I was looking at a few options, on the cards are:

-Giesemann Futura (if nothing comes out that strikes my liking between now and reciving the tank)
-Giesemann Matrixx II - although I would like to have a T5/LED Hybrid, i may even grab some elos e-stripes so 6 T5 bulbs and 2 e-stripes
-ATI T5/LED hybrid
-...... - your thoughts?

ati_sirius_x6.jpg

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
for the moment i have the Elos Light stands on order still they're curved stainless steel poles.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
To be honest, I think you need to wait until closer to the time to make a call. I mean, think about the GHL ... they were the HOT light of the moment, and yet now I see quite a few people selling them. Likewise T5-LED hybrids are all the rage right now, but who knows in 6 months. We might even have Plasma by then :D

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
yeah i agree, its ok to have a plan but i would be very flexabile with it

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Adam you know me i am really flexible ;)

Chim youre totally right but as ads said its good to have a plan and right now the plan is Giesemann Matrixx II with 2 elos estripe tubes one actinic one white or both actinic, i mean you have a fair point but t5 and halide arent crazes as such so i think the led hybrids will be something that will stick around, who knows..however i do know i plan on running an 8-12 week cycle so ill have plenty of time to decide/wait for a light :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Adam you know me i am really flexible ;)

Chim youre totally right but as ads said its good to have a plan and right now the plan is Giesemann Matrixx II with 2 elos estripe tubes one actinic one white or both actinic, i mean you have a fair point but t5 and halide arent crazes as such so i think the led hybrids will be something that will stick around, who knows..however i do know i plan on running an 8-12 week cycle so ill have plenty of time to decide/wait for a light :)
Yes you have lost the plot , lol

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
well i should get some form of confirmation late this week, early next week but i.d say possibly march?
starting to run out of days to associate the delivery date with to keep it exciting, was meant fo november (my birthday) march...my gf's and sisters birthday? lol

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
@leodb89 So what is the plan?
Are you planning a banging SPS reef or a mix ? What are the tank dimensions of this Elos? Tell me your proposed equipment list, I want to know what's making you froth :)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
pricing is a little more expensive than an ATI T5LED Hybrid and i hear the Matrixx II is not dimmable however it can be custom ordered to be

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Reme
pricing is a little more expensive than an ATI T5LED Hybrid and i hear the Matrixx II is not dimmable however it can be custom ordered to be
Remember that dimming T5s f's them up and reduces per and life. I'm in the same boat as you but am using ghl simu sticks for dimming and colour adjustment for my viewing pleasure. T5's and the balsl and brains while LEDs are just prettyness on my system cause a shallow tanks with 6-8 T5s are ample in most cases

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Reme

Remember that dimming T5s f's them up and reduces per and life. I'm in the same boat as you but am using ghl simu sticks for dimming and colour adjustment for my viewing pleasure. T5's and the balsl and brains while LEDs are just prettyness on my system cause a shallow tanks with 6-8 T5s are ample in most cases
hmmm interested to know about these, the elos estripe uses its own powersuppy so if you're saying the GHL sticks use the controls and ballast of the light unit itself rather than being independent i think id be more inclined to go with those...can you post a link or some details on them here?

hmm didn't know that about T5s thanks for that info, last thing i want is to be replacing these guys sooner than they already do need to be replaced lol however i would like the ability to at least ramp the LED tubes up and down