Tank Journal Archive

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i did use LR rubble from fresh rock and my fuge to seed my roche. but I had the six months and no scape to weed out any nasties
get some rock in your sump and tank and start seeding those bad boys for me lol.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
This will be available in Aus shortly, thinking about stocking some on naqua when it does - depending on price of course.
http://www.reefrocks.net/
But I agree, if I was starting a tank again, I would do 95% of the scape with this kind of dry rock and seed.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Perhaps that lovely naqua place could look at importing and distributing CeramEco?

I know myself and quiet a few other reefers would be keen on the frag stations for our displays and the bonsai tree's for our nanos

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Re-visiting this thread.

I am primarily waiting until interzoo but if i dont see anything that grabs me then ill go with one of these options.

Radion or GHL Mitras...in similar mounting

$T2eC16VHJH!FFmNboD)ZBR1Grsqfd!~~60_35.JPG

Chris' Elos 160.jpg

dsc03011.jpg

Giesemann Futura

514914bacPVs.jpg

IMG-20140221-WA0015.jpg

Elos Planet Pro

IMG-20140221-WA0017.jpg

ATI T5/LED Hybrid

a6cd8857-3248-b33b.jpg

Personally i like the Giesemann and the Radion style...i think because how that Elos 160 looks minimalistic it just looks really neat...are there any other lights out there you know of and suggest? anything you've heard is coming? anything you think on the above lighting styles?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Only major release recently has been the Radion, which seems to be the current pinnacle of LED lighting for me.

This looks pretty sexy though: http://reefbuilders.com/2014/01/02/ati-sirius-led-light/
View attachment 38052
ok....i have to disagree on the pinnacle...i still think it's the mitras...not a fan of the batmobile look to the radion however the top-side looks really nice.

i saw that ATI and figured....well if they make pretty much the best T5 fixture, for them to go into complete LED is a big statement because they have so much of the market share...and it kind of slapped me in the face because i was saying to myself im gonna go T5/LED on this one because its a proven method but still have my love for LED's in there...but now its like saying...LED is the new way, obviously it is...but most are saying "it's just not there yet" so does this unit mean, it is?

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
ok....i have to disagree on the pinnacle...i still think it's the mitras...not a fan of the batmobile look to the radion however the top-side looks really nice.

i saw that ATI and figured....well if they make pretty much the best T5 fixture, for them to go into complete LED is a big statement because they have so much of the market share...and it kind of slapped me in the face because i was saying to myself im gonna go T5/LED on this one because its a proven method but still have my love for LED's in there...but now its like saying...LED is the new way, obviously it is...but most are saying "it's just not there yet" so does this unit mean, it is?
Leds for life bro. ;) haha

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
are you running 2 of them?
Yes I am running two Blaze - they are the original S model with 1: 2 1blue 2white ratio . That ratio was replaced by 1:1 blue white. At the time when my reef was created the 20cm legs had not been invented, so using 12 cm legs at that depth did not give enough light spread. That's why I have two lights. With 20cm height you could cover the 60 cm width with one Blaze.
I also run them at about 75 percent .

Led In general have many limitations in terms of light spread.
Leo- my two cents worth on your tank if it was me I would choose T5 and forget LED.

Last edited:

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham

They are just wanting a slice of the LED pie I recon. If they ever start discontinuing some T5 fixtures that's when I'd say they are thinking leds are they way forward. If you were thinking t5/led go for it! Nice sunrise and set and T5 spread during the day!