Tank Journal Archive

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
After doing a lot of reading and speaking to the guys above and some others I think t5 + led supplements is the route I'm going to be taking. I will still keep my options open until interzoo as I got a funny feeling something will come out that will wow us, we've had innovative year the last couple years with macna but this year should have more evolution so might see some more hybrids or a newer design, hoping so because its the one thing I don't like about the ati.

Does anyone know if giesemann reflectors are as good as ati or are ati just in a league of their own?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Hey Guys....so tank arrived in customs...so i assume ill have it soon.

Lighting..

PANDORA HYPERION R2
awww.pacific_sun.eu_new_images_pandora_r_main.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blo...d-t5-fixture-is-an-absolute-beast/image_large

Combo unit T5+LED
Pandora Hyperion uses 8 channel LED panels with T5 fluorescents in one modern, sleek and powerful lighting fixture. Pandora Hyperion incorporates fully controllable T5 fluorescent technology into this series in combination with their powerful, 150W 8ch LED panels offering 10 CREE LED chips including CREE XM-L. Pandora Hyperion comes in 4 sizes, 24″, 34″, 49” and 65” with 1x150w, 2x150w, 3x150W and 4x150W LED panels respectively. These units are the widest available fixtures from Pacific Sun measuring in at 16.5”, yet still only 2” tall. Pandora Hyperion is perfect for the extra wide reef systems (up to 36” wide) where extra coverage provided by the T5s is necessary. Control with Bluetooth (R2 WIFI computer coming soon) via PC, Mac and Android.
Pacific Sun lamp has been designed as a pendant lamp for open aquariums. It must not be used in enclosed aquariums below the canopy.

Size/power and coverage area
awww.pacific_sun.eu_new_images_r2_panel.jpg

Models with 150W LED panels:

• Pandora Hyperion R2 150W + 2x24W T5 - cover area up to 100x80x80cm
  • Pandora Hyperion R2 2x150W + 4x39W T5 - cover area up to 125x80x80cm
  • Pandora Hyperion R2 3x150W + 4x54W T5 - cover area up to 165x80x80cm
  • Pandora Hyperion R2 4x150W + 4x80W T5 - cover area up to 225x80x80cm
Available in colors: pearlwhite

LED panels
The Hyperion R panel includes the following LED colors:
awww.pacific_sun.eu_new_images_hr_r2.jpg

• Cree XM-L Neutral White&Cool white
  • UV (400 and 420nm) - Made for Pacific Sun
  • Royal Blue 450nm - Cree
  • Royal Blue 465nm - Cree
  • Blue 475nm - Cree
  • Green 530nm- Cree
  • Orange 610nm - Cree
  • Red 630nm - Cree
awww.pacific_sun.eu_new_images_hspec.jpg

General Specifications:
  • Size: 600x320x50mm(single LED panel) ; 900x450x50mm(two LED panels); 1250x450x50mm(three LED panels) ; 1650x450x50mm (four LED panels)
  • 8 independent LED channels + independent T5 programming(10 LED colors in 8 channels)
  • LED panels - maximum power(electronic + led panels) - 150W
  • 2pcs / 4pcs T5 bulbs with parabolic reflectors.
  • Light coverage: see charts
  • Built-in light controller that can be accessed wirelessly via bluetooth. The fixture also includes a backlit blue LCD Display. Users can simulate sunrise / sunset, clouds, weather special programs, etc.
  • Supported software: Win 7/Xp/8, Mac OS X, Android (More informations about app: About our software )
  • External control (PWM or 1-10V signal) - on request(regular model - not include active port)
  • "Ultra Quiet" 80mm fans controlled by a temperature sensor.
  • Mounting: Hanging kits or Pacific Sun "Spider" mount
Light coverage for Pandora Hyperion R2 (different models)

awww.pacific_sun.eu_new_cache_preview_285a1456e9fe2e17859f8636bb98f6cd.jpg

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
ATI Sirius LED

areefbuilders.com_files_2014_06_ati_sirius_led_4.jpg

ATI has a long and storied history of thinking differently when it comes to their marine aquarium products and the ATI Sirius LED reinforces that legacy very well. Built from multicolor LED clusters that straddle the line between a strip light and a cluster array, the LED Powermodules powering the ATI Sirius are also differentiated by the use of custom made reflectors where others mostly use primary optics or secondary lenses to maximize light emission.

When first examining the ATI Sirius X2 with its two LED strip-clusters, it’s hard not to notice the huge empty space in between them which surely should leave a gap of illumination directly below it. This is where the reflector-backed LED strip-clusters work their magic, overlapping in the middle of the aquarium just so, creating a surprisingly even and homogenous light field in both color and intensity.

areefbuilders.com_files_2014_06_ati_sirius_led_5.jpg
Where most LED fixtures of this sort would employ a single cluster of LED colors and encourage their optics to shine outwards, the ATI Sirius LED places its LED clusters on the edge of the fixture and encourages them to shine inwards. This LED arrangement creates an impressively great light spread and coverage, not unlike the T5 fixtures that ATI has much experience in building and designing.

Another notable difference that makes the ATI Sirius LED stand out is that not only are the colors controllable for at least five channels, each clusters of the Sirius LED light are also independently controlled as well. Since ATI is making the Sirius LED in multiple lengths with 2, 4, 6, 8 and ten clusters you can get a fully integrated control over brightness and color from one end of the tank to the other.

The only area of the ATI Sirius LED that leaves something to be desired is in the control and programming of the overall unit which for now is only Windows compatible, and could use some polishing in the graphical user interface department. While some ATI products can fall on the pricey side considering its German construction, other products are actually quite reasonably priced and we look forward to seeing what this new product will sell for when retail pricing is announced.

areefbuilders.com_files_2014_06_ati_sirius_led_7.jpg
areefbuilders.com_files_2014_06_ati_sirius_led_3.jpg
areefbuilders.com_files_2014_06_ati_sirius_led_1.jpg
areefbuilders.com_files_2014_06_ati_sirius_led_2.jpg

Read more:http://reefbuilders.com/2014/06/05/ati-sirius-led/#ixzz34EixHkRx

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I always thought Pacific Sun are vastly underrated and are awesome looking lights. If I were after top of the range I'd be giving them a look.

Their doser looks pretty schmick too.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I always thought Pacific Sun are vastly underrated and are awesome looking lights. If I were after top of the range I'd be giving them a look.

Their doser looks pretty schmick too.
Just see myself saying "i should've got something that there is more info/support on"

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Just see myself saying "i should've got something that there is more info/support on"
Fair point. I wonder why they've never taken off. Maybe lack of US/international distribution agreements? I bet if MarineDepot or similar stocked them, they'd take off in the US and then elsewhere.

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
after seeing pacific sun in the flesh i was so dissapointed in how "cheap" the units looked in the flesh.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
after seeing pacific sun in the flesh i was so dissapointed in how "cheap" the units looked in the flesh.
Really? They look solid enough but I guess you can never tell until you see/feel them.

@leodb89 have you thought above a custom hybrid unit from the likes of Nanobox? This one is probably not 'slick' enough for what you are going for, but perhaps with the right $$ and guidance they could house it in something.

Attachments

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
im quite shocked to hear that, in pictures they look so nice and well built :/ but you have seen it in person so i can't comment on that...is it the drilled parts of the casing or just overall? it seems like very thin material and i could see how it could possibly look cheap in person but some up well in pictures, i would need to try see one.

another issue is i dont think they have as many LEDs as the ATI.

@leodb89 have you thought above a custom hybrid unit from the likes of Nanobox? This one is probably not 'slick' enough for what you are going for, but perhaps with the right $$ and guidance they could house it in something.
im open to ideas out of the main stream, im actually notoriously guilty for being a bit mainstream when it comes to certain products, however im looking for a uniform look, either a single long fixture or multiple fixtures with sleek mounting options for example multiple kessils or radions with the new mounts they have

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
im quite shocked to hear that, in pictures they look so nice and well built :/ but you have seen it in person so i can't comment on that...is it the drilled parts of the casing or just overall? it seems like very thin material and i could see how it could possibly look cheap in person but some up well in pictures, i would need to try see one.

another issue is i dont think they have as many LEDs as the ATI.

im open to ideas out of the main stream, im actually notoriously guilty for being a bit mainstream when it comes to certain products, however im looking for a uniform look, either a single long fixture or multiple fixtures with sleek mounting options for example multiple kessils or radions with the new mounts they have
Nanobox can do bigger - they just posted up a 5ft LED unit they built.

4x Kessils could be an option too. The main thing I don't like about them is the wires, but if you used a sleeve or something, they could look slick.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Nanobox can do bigger - they just posted up a 5ft LED unit they built.

4x Kessils could be an option too. The main thing I don't like about them is the wires, but if you used a sleeve or something, they could look slick.
+1 on the wires, they need to make the cable come from the centre of the light and allow it to run through the gooseneck...can u pm me the link to the 5ft

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
it looked cheap, it is only steel powdercoated, material is thin, you can see the reflectors etc.

I PAR tested kessil and they only got reading of 80 on the sand bed in 2ft deep

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
it looked cheap, it is only steel powdercoated, material is thin, you can see the reflectors etc.

I PAR tested kessil and they only got reading of 80 on the sand bed in 2ft deep
wow...thanks for the heads up...i can see what you mean from looking at the fixture i think i can see it slightly but again taking your word as youve seen it.

what are your thoughts on choosing a fixture? i definitely want to keep SPS and definitely want the shimmer effect...i seen a power module yesterday with 6 globes that were probably 6 months old it was quite dull, i havent seen a proper set up before, maybe i need to pay you a visit to see yours lol

Mar 15, 2012
Don't forget to always look at the energy output, remember LED's were made to be more energy efficient not just brighter!

Looking great though for both review and tank pics

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I think I have found the light I will be getting. ATI Sirius X6. Very fairly priced. However not a fan that it is slightly shorter than I'd like and its max spread is 70cm so I dunno if that means that it is poor PAR at the 70cm mark or if it is 100% because the LEDs are on the edge of it so would make sense for it to be 100% at the edges.

Interesting that there is only 2 white LEDs per cluster lol. I actually really like that :)

ati_sirius_x6.jpg

Product Specifications:
- LED Layout: 6x 75W LED Clusters
- LED Configuration (Per Cluster):
6x Cree XPE Blue
2x Luxeon M Royal Blue 450nm
2x Luxeon M Cool White
2x Cree XPE Red
1x Semileds Violet 420nm
- Dimensions: 39.0" x 14.2" x 1.6" (L x W x H)
- Weight: 20.7 lbs
- Power Consumption: Up to 435W at full intensity
- Warranty: 1-Year Manufacturer Limited Warranty