Tank Journal Archive

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
What would be your main reason for this?
Based on my all time favourite tank in the world called "a reef in the sky" version 1 was insane and version 2 was bedlam!
I credit the success to high quantity of multiple T5 high quality photons and diet of Zeovit. Andrew lives in Hong Kong and goes by the avatar name of "V1 rotate"

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
If you wanna keep SPS nothing compares to an ATI hybrid, both my brother and VPreef ditched the Mitras for the ATI and wouldnt look back. If you dont like the look of the T5 run them when your not at home for SPS health and growth and view under LED.

If you are keeping LPS full LED is a better option.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
If you wanna keep SPS nothing compares to an ATI hybrid, both my brother and VPreef ditched the Mitras for the ATI and wouldnt look back. If you dont like the look of the T5 run them when your not at home for SPS health and growth and view under LED.

If you are keeping LPS full LED is a better option.

thanks for that info....im curious to know how ou run yours, is it as described above your you have a mixture all through the day/night?

do you dim the T5's or leave them as on/off?

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
thanks for that info....im curious to know how ou run yours, is it as described above your you have a mixture all through the day/night?

do you dim the T5's or leave them as on/off?
i used to dim them but changed recently i currently run the following if i recall correctly
LED 0700-2200 ramping up and down
t5 bank 1 - 1400-1900
t5 bank 2 - 1600 - 1800

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i will keep this in mind...one thing i sorta was starting to dig was the pic of that 3 radions because they dont distract your eyes in a bad way, i feel the ati is a little chunky however ive only seen a sun power and power module in person so not sure if the combo is slimmer?

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
hybrid are same size as a standard PM. I personally hate the modular look, it looks messy to me but thats just personal preference.

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
im the same with pubenator, hate the modular look. IMO get the light which is best for your coral health and vitality IF you can afford to.

Alot of the LED lights on the market are designed to wow people in style and looks, but are rubbish for optimal coral health. I have personally tried radions, mitras, Orphek's, chinese 120w and Aqua illumination Led units and they dont come near Metal halides or T5's. I know they cost more to run (T5's are debatable) but its the most important thing in a reef tank.

If you want LED's, The best of those units I would recommend are the Orphek V2's, corals seemed the happiest and most colorful under them :)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Those hybrid ATI units are massive! Don't forget about space to mount above tank and also leaving room to work on the tank.
Plus your 6-12 monthly bulb change.

This is another reason I like a hood, you can mix up lighting sources in there! I may add a basic T5 unit down the track to supplement my 4 Mitras if I feel it's needed. Will fit in hood easily :)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
im the same with pubenator, hate the modular look. IMO get the light which is best for your coral health and vitality IF you can afford to.

Alot of the LED lights on the market are designed to wow people in style and looks, but are rubbish for optimal coral health. I have personally tried radions, mitras, Orphek's, chinese 120w and Aqua illumination Led units and they dont come near Metal halides or T5's. I know they cost more to run (T5's are debatable) but its the most important thing in a reef tank.

If you want LED's, The best of those units I would recommend are the Orphek V2's, corals seemed the happiest and most colorful under them :)
Hey thanks for this I know yourself and @thepubenator have tried a few different things between yourselves and people you know have tried others also so I will take your word for it.

I felt like that from the beginning about the health of the corals I guess at the end of the day that's what's most important.

In your opinion does the hybrid perform better than the PM?

I'm all for the health and at the same time I would like to have something that aesthetically looks the part, there's the giesemann matrix that certainly looks the part but is not a hybrid, I guess if its 300w of t5 or LED there's not a whole lot differences in power consumption although the bulb replacements must become annoying?

There's a video of a really successful reef tank you've probably seen its "Peter's Reef Tank" he uses like 30 orphek modules but obviously he has a hood to hide it all too.

For the dimensions 120lx80dx50h which hybrid would you guys recommend

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
The 3 or 4 foot model would be fine. I would go the hybrid which gives you a little more flexibility with your sunset and sunrise effects.
I also run the blue leds just on for the last hour of the day as i love the pop they give the corals.

It does cost to change bulbs every 12 months which is a pain but its an expense of our hobby if you want healthy corals. Fwiw my bulbs are nearly 14 months old and still kicking ass :D. I will be changing them very soon though.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
What corals are you planning? The led is great for dimming etc t5 for punch
Hoping to be mainly SPS and as I type this I know that means sticking to t5 so then the question is 3 or 4 foot 4, 6, or 8 globe?

The 3 or 4 foot model would be fine. I would go the hybrid which gives you a little more flexibility with your sunset and sunrise effects.
I also run the blue leds just on for the last hour of the day as i love the pop they give the corals.

It does cost to change bulbs every 12 months which is a pain but its an expense of our hobby if you want healthy corals. Fwiw my bulbs are nearly 14 months old and still kicking ass :D. I will be changing them very soon though.
So you don't run the LEDs other than at night? Do you dim the t5s or are on/off?

Stupid question but what's the easiest way to tell when a bulb needs replacing

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Yeah i keep the leds on during the day too but keep them around 60% intensity when the t5's are all on. I also run the whites very low as they throw out alot of green/red which too much is bad for acros.

I dont Dim any of the T5's as this decreases the life of the bulb. Knowing when they need changing is usually seeing a change in your corals or spectrum becoming yellowish and dimmer. Every 12 months is usually good practice, those that do it every 6 months are throwing money in the bin imo.