Tank Journal Archive

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Got some cable duct and other bits mounted in the cabinet on the weekend. All of the wires go up behind the battery backup in to the duct. Ill put on a powerboard vertically next to the equipment where all the plugs are hanging out of the duct.
cabinet1.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Over the last week I have picked up about 30kg of live rock and 27kg of base rock. Im keeping the live rock in a spare 3ft tank to keep the bacteria going until the tank is set up. Averaged just over $2kg for the lot.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Great deal, I asked the lfs how much for a box to top up the mt and start off the nano and they wouldn't even give me the usual discount on a box. It is $18 a kilo here or $270 a box.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
About the same here, about $200 for a 20kg box. People shutting down their tanks saves me a lot of money haha. I will probably get another 20kg of rock and that should be more than enough hopefully.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Hi all. I got my baffles cut by the local glass mob and put them in to the sump today. I ended up going for a simple three chamber design, I was thinking of trying to fit a DSB/frag/? section in there but it was going to be a hassle and not really enough room to be useful.
The sections are refugium - return - skimmer. I took out the brace above the skimmer section so the skimmer will fit, I will probably move the brace over a little bit where it will fit. I have about 90L of room for a power outage above the sumps normal operating level.

Checking the spacings between the skimmer and return pump
sump.jpg

Middle baffle in
sump1.jpg

Refugium baffle
sump2.jpg

All baffles in
sump3.jpg

sump4.jpg

I left 50mm in between each baffle in the bubble trap to fit the heater(s). The skimmer operates at 250mm - 280mm, so I made the skimmer side 280mm. I can always raise the skimmer if I have to. The 280mm also just covers the heater inside the bubble trap.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Very clean looking build work, I'm a bit jealous now! My attempts look like kids have thrown clag on it (lol is there such a thing as clag now?)

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
All I do is run a bead of silicone up each side of the glass and run my finger along it to smooth it out. It's only the sump so doesn't matter if it is a bit smudgy. Priscacara as long as it holds the glass then its all good lol. Im pretty sure clag still exists!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Leak tested the sump... I forgot to silicone the bottom of one of the bubble traps :banghead No big deal though. Hopefully I will get the glass cut for the weir this week.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Nice work on the sump

1. Not sure if you are aware or not but you can remove the outer cage for the Laguna and make the footprint significantly smaller. Issue is they don't have a stand and the bottom isn't flat.

2. Are you going to feed the ref and skimmer chamber independently. I'm a little confused as to direction the water will be going through the sump, with the return chamber needing to be the last.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Hi Buddy,
Did you do a calc to ensure you have enough capacity in your sump above the buffles to hold the DT drain on power fail, they camera angle the height looks quite high.

I battled with bubbles in my return section, and I had a three piece bubble trap like yours. My problem was that the last baffle (on the return section) was too high and the water cascaded over it like a water fall into the return, then the pump would suck the bubbles in. So if you plan to keep the return section level at a ~height close to the top of the baffle its OK. On my system with the ATO in the return section, the level was set to about ~100mm lower than the baffle. I have a mini sump so I may have different issues。。

Going to be a great setup, If you need a hand on final setup singout

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Nice work on the sump

1. Not sure if you are aware or not but you can remove the outer cage for the Laguna and make the footprint significantly smaller. Issue is they don't have a stand and the bottom isn't flat.

2. Are you going to feed the ref and skimmer chamber independently. I'm a little confused as to direction the water will be going through the sump, with the return chamber needing to be the last.
Thanks!
I saw that you could remove the cage but I wanted a decent volume of water in the return section so I decided to leave it, The pump not laying flat and causing vibrations would have been an issue anyway.

The display tank will flow in to the skimmer section and then in to the return section. I am going to tee off the return to the refugium, chiller, reactor etc, so the flow from the refugium will flow in to the return section.

Hi Buddy,
Did you do a calc to ensure you have enough capacity in your sump above the buffles to hold the DT drain on power fail, they camera angle the height looks quite high.

I battled with bubbles in my return section, and I had a three piece bubble trap like yours. My problem was that the last baffle (on the return section) was too high and the water cascaded over it like a water fall into the return, then the pump would suck the bubbles in. So if you plan to keep the return section level at a ~height close to the top of the baffle its OK. On my system with the ATO in the return section, the level was set to about ~100mm lower than the baffle. I have a mini sump so I may have different issues。。

Going to be a great setup, If you need a hand on final setup singout
Yup I have ~70 litres to spare in the sump at its operating level. If the power went off I calculated that the top 6" of the weir (the height of my syphon drain) and the height of the water of the display tank was at the top of the weir comb (it won't be this high but just for a safety margin) ~40 litres will drain in to the sump.

The laguna pump needs a minimum 200mm depth to run properly, so I made the baffle 280mm high with a plan to run the water level 250mm in the return section. The skimmer operates at 280mm so it should balance out well. There is going to be a bigger difference in the refugium to return baffle so if it is noisy/bubbly I might have to reduce the flow in the refugium.
Thanks again for the heater!

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
The amount of thought gone into planning and the numbers seem to add up.

Anyway, great DIY skills and keep up the TJ - keen to see how this one works out.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks @macca_75
A dosing pump came up at a good price and was only around the corner from me so I picked it up today, it is only a couple of months old with very little use. When I picked up the pump the guy chucked in two bubble magus dosing containers, a bubble magus hose holder for the dosing hoses and enough calc and alk to last me about 33 years haha so I was pretty happy about that! I've got the pump set up on my nano until this tank is ready for it.
dosingpump.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Would have been interesting getting pulled over by the cops with those bags in the car lol...it's all for personal use!!
Anyways... the leaky sump baffle is fixed and I have ordered the glass and acrylic for the weir, I should be able to pick it up next week.