Tank Journal Archive

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Here is the reason I chose an 18" wide tank. The door opening is 460mm so the 450mm wide tank just fits! Then I can just push the sump to the back of the cabinet.
sumpdoor.jpg

The sump in position.
emptysump.jpg

First full tank shot?? As you can see, I have chosen to light with tank with natural sunlight.
Current inhabintants
1x a lot of crap from my shed
1x some sort of dog fish
:D
fts12.12.12_1.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Unfortunately I can't get it wet till I move house, not even for a test run! The floor in my shed isn't level by a lot.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Chock it up on some folded up beer coasters it will be fine ;)

How long until you move house.... It would be painful staring at it and not being able to use it...

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
From back to front its out by about 20mm and from left to right its out by the same. Would it put too much stress on the stand to chock it? Should be moved out by the end of Feb, hopefully closer to January. I wont have my lights sorted out until then so it doesn't really matter, it would just be nice to leak test it for a couple of weeks in the shed.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Once you have it at the end chocked at the right level just stick some stuff in between I'd just use folded cardboard it only a leak test for a short period. The floor in my place back in brissie was out by around 10mm and I had my 6x2x2 chocked up and it was fine.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Well I built the weir a couple of weeks ago and forgot to put up a pic.... so here it is.
I built the whole thing out of the tank and then just plonked it in once it had all dried. I made it from 10mm glass and then stuck some 3mm black acrylic to it. I wanted to just get black glass but couldn't get any when I rang around. I made the acrylic 5mm shorter than the edges touching the tank so when I put it in the tank the silicone would bond to the glass and not the acrylic. I don't know if it makes it any stronger but it cant hurt. Pic still has the protection over the acrylic...

weir_1.jpg

I will get a pic of it in the tank tomorrow. I should be giving the tank a test run tomorrow since I got talked in to it at the last vic meet :p even though the tank isn't sitting level, so I will get some pics of that too!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Alright most of the plumbing is done and dried so I filled the tank up this morning and gave it a test run and I am pretty happy with it. After a couple of minutes of adjusting the syphon I got it nice and quiet, just a slight hum from the return pump. I will finish it off and change a couple of little things but apart from that all the plumbing is done! Sorry about the dirty glass!
I have made two drains and a return in the weir. The return and syphon are 25mm and the backup is 40mm. I figured that if the 25mm syphon gets blocked then it would be better to have the larger pipe as the back up. I just need to add the strainers (on order) to the drains and I will shorten the 40mm drain by about 20mm or so. I put the comb on the inside of the weir and will make the water level about 20mm lower than the comb so the water can fall freely without having to go over any edges and make splashing sounds.
weirfull.jpg

Here is how I have the return plumbed back in to the tank. I saw a lot of pictures and videos where people had cut some teeth out of the comb and had the return going through that. The problem I saw was that water would run along the underside of the pipe and trickle in to the water in the weir and make an annoying noise. This way there is no noise at all. I will probably change the elbow going in to the water to black pipe or some loc line if I can get hold of some.
weirreturn.jpg

Top view of the weir. You can see the cap with the hole on the backup drain that stops the slight amount of noise that it made. I could easily turn the backup in to an automatic syphon if the water level ever got too high for some reason. The back up can easily handle the flow with the syphon line closed off anyway.
weirtop2.jpg

Here you can see the water level is about halfway up the comb.
weirlevel.jpg

Now inside the cabinet... It is pretty tight where the bulkheads but it keeps it all tucked away in the corner. The clear vinyl is the return going back in to the tank. Instead of it going directly to the bulkhead, I will put a 90 degree elbow on the bulkhead and just have a straight bit of vinyl connecting from it to the main plumbing.
bulkheads.jpg

Here is the return section of the sump (this isnt the water height it will be running at). The pump is about 20mm off the bottom which makes a huge difference in the amount of vibration going through the stand. The pipe goes around the brace and tees off in to the rest of the plumbing. The tee on the left is just blocked for now but this will be going to the phosban reactor. I had to hang the plumbing to get rid of any vibrations going through the stand.
returnsection.jpg

On to the skimmer section. The main syphon is just straight down in to the water. I kept the back up drain at 40mm the whole way to the sump just incase the syphon got blocked. There wasn't enough room to go straight down with the 40mm pipe so just added a couple of 90's. The pipe isn't glued after the valve as I will be using that for waterchanges. When the syphon is tuned properly, the backup doesn't produce any bubbles and is silent.
skimmersection.jpg

You can see here I still have plenty of flow left in the syphon if I ever need it. I put a sock on there for now cos there were a few spiders, snails etc living in the tank which I didn't want going through the pump!
skimmersection2.jpg

This is the refugium section, I am still thinking of how to do the plumbing past the valve. Maybe a spray bar to randomise the flow in the refugium and make sure there are no dead spots. The valve on the top left will most likely go to a chiller at a later stage.
refugiumsection.jpg

Normal water level with the tank running.
poweron.jpg

Power off.
poweroff.jpg

I am pretty impressed with the little laguna pump. Even with all the bends and valves etc there is still a heap of water flowing back in to the tank.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Nicely executed. Will be much better with the 90 fittted instead of bending the clear tubing.

I also don't like the idea of hanging the return pump like that long term. Thats a lot of stress there with the vibrations (the vibrations from the pump are still there, so if you don't hear them, where are they? Shaking the plaumbing around? What happens if soemthing does fail here? A little water under pressure goes a long way quickly.

Overall neatly done and well thought out.

Do you know if the skimmer section is the correct depth - looks a little deep to me but I don't own that model skimmer.Doesn't look like a lot of room to lift the skimmer if required.

Also what are the drops on the return (clear tubing) from? A leak?

Nice work overall though.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I'm happy to leave the pump how it is, I don't think there is any chance of it coming off. I set the skimmer section to the maximum running height of the skimmer. The minimum running height is only 5cm less, so I can raise the skimmer if I have to as there is heaps of room above it. I can lift the whole skimmer out of the sump for maintenance. The drops are from my wet hand putting the cable tie on, I knew someone would ask about that haha.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Not much to report this week. The tank has been running the whole time and everything looks good. I got the strainers for the drains and also put a 90 degree fitting on the return bulkhead. I took advantage of the discount from re-signing for my Reeflections membership and bought 125kg of sand, ended up getting about 70 bucks off. 125kg should hopefully be more than enough.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Well I have given my property agent my one months notice to move to I hope I will be moving on the 1st 2nd or 3rd of March. Soooo who wants to help move the tank? I will probably need 3 helpers :D

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
Well I have given my property agent my one months notice to move to I hope I will be moving on the 1st 2nd or 3rd of March. Soooo who wants to help move the tank? I will probably need 3 helpers :D
more than happy to give a hand :) just let me know closer to the time!

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
With notice I could probably make it :)

Get one of those swirly things that go on the pipe to randomize the flow for your refugium.