Tank Journal Archive

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Introduction:

Reefing Since:
2000 (ish) - Geez I can't remember back that far - to many drinks have passed my lips since then.
It all started when I caught a few yabbies at a local golf course in 1998. Bought a little hobbie tank. Form there it was only a few months before I decided they needed something a bit bigger and along came a 4x12 x18. This of course got turned into a Tropical FW with the usual guppies, Angels, Mollies, sordtaiols, you name it and it was in there. Wasn't long until I decided I wanted the "awersome looking fish" and bought my first 8x2x2.

System Objectives:
Ideally I want to be able to keep LPS with a lot of Flubber. I like the movment. My favourite "must have" fish I will eventually add will be a Powderblue tang and a pair of Bangaii.

Type of reef:
Softies/LPS.

Display System:

Initial Fill Date:
Lets pretend we are talking about the tank in it's current location - that would be....
I've had this "glass box" since I had an issue with my previous one (which was also my first). It was replaced on ...
When I first started reefing (the rock I have now, some of the corals and believe it or not I still have one of my first fish - a Pyjama Cardinal) the tank was located at my parents house. It has since moved to my house that my wife and I built, was replaced by the current "glass box" (same dimensions so I could re-use my stand), the current glass boxed moved and lived in the garage for about x months while the wall was built until it was finally moved into the position it's in now.

Display Tank Dimensions:
8x2x2 (old school). Euro braced 10mm with 2 additional cross braces. Corner wier with 2 x 40mm down to sump and 1 x 25mm return (through wier). PLumbing is a 40mm with a valve acting as a "tuned drain" and the other 40mm a backup.

Display Lighting:
Currently I am using my 2 x 250W halidea I first started with (new bulbs of course) but the same ballasts and reflectors. Since moving the tank into the wall I have lost my actinic suppliments.

I also have a Fishbowl Moonlight system with 3 Moontubes (and love them ;))

Stand:
Built out of 4x2 as built into the wall as part of the wall (as you can see in the pics below)

Hood or Rimless:
I'm not sure how you can have a "rimless" tank but it has no hood.

Sump Design:
Well this was a screw up to say the least. I have ended up with a 2 sump system.
1 houses the skimmer and reactor, which feeds into the other. The other has the return pump.

Filtration:
KISS. There is a filter sock that filters both the output from the reactor and the input to the skimmer sump - other than that everything feeds straight into the return sump.

Support systems:

NSW or ASW:
NSW stored in 2 x IBC's under the garage. These are hooked up to a Spa pump which is switched via a key lock switch inside. The outlet is a cam lock on the wall which I can attach a hose to and feed into the DT. Pumps around 200 litres in about 40 secs.

Display Water circulation:
4 x 6105's controlled by a 7096 controller.

Return Pump:
Laguna 11,000 LPH (returns about 8,000 LPH when you take into consideration plumbing, head loss, etc. I also feed my reactor off this.

Skimmer:
Tunze 9420 tuned to "wet" skim. Pulls about 500ml per day of tea coloured skimmate.
Evaporation Top Up:
Tunze 3155 ATO. Currently pumped from a 20l drum, however I use about 15-20l per day so I need to look at getting a bigger reservoir.

Chemical additions:
Randies Reciepe #2

Calcium Addition:
Damprid.

Alkilinity Addition:
Baking Soda

Magnesium Addition:
Epsom Salts

Prodibiotics Addition:
Nil

Coral Food Addition:
Nil

Target Water Chemistry:
Nitrates:
Unknown - haven't checked in about 5 years
Phosphates:
0.04 via TLF Phosban 550 running RowaPhos (Hanna Meter)
Alkalinity:
9.0 Dkh (Hanna Meter)
Calcium:
480ppm (Hanna Meter) - this is about 430 on my old Salifert kit
Salinity/Specific Gravity:
1.025 (Refractormeter)
Magnesuim:
1300 ppm (Salifert test kit)

The only stable foods are NLS pallets feed 7 times daily using a Ehiem autofeeder. 2 or 3 times weekly I also feed a sheet of Nori.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
1x Kliens butterfly (Chaetodon kleinii)
1x Orange Shoulder tang (Acanthurus olivaceus)
1x Scopas Tang (Zebrasoma scopas)
1x Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavesenes)
1 x Pyjama Cardinal (easily the oldest fish - I've had this one for 10yrs+) (Sphaeramia nematoptera)
Pair of Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) in their BTA
1 x Kole Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus) (added 12/5/2012 from MASA member ildanach)
1 x Flame Hawk (Neocirrhitus armatus) (from vpreef - added 15/6/2012)
1 x Bangaii Cardinal (Pterapogon kauderni) - Bought from Reeflections 19/01/2013

1x Six line wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia) R.I.P - carpet surfed 28/10/2012
1x Foxface (Siganus vulpinus) R.I.P
1x Chromis (Chromis viridis) (eaten alive by worms/CUC as it hid to rest for the night - 08/08/2012)
1 x Cleaner Wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus) (from vpreef - added 15/6/2012) (traded to ssscuz 1/08/2012)
1 x Solaris wrasse (Cirrhilabrus Solorensis) (from vpreef - added 15/6/2012 and never seen again). R.I.P
1 x Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon) - Bought from Reeflections 28/02/2013 (Eutheniased as it was very sickly - 14/03/2013).

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Geez - getting there :)

Largely ripped from my MASA TJ and condensed into a few posts....

A mate helped to build the wall after hours.

A Blank Canvas (3/12/11) - note the mark on the floor from where the tank had been for about 6 years.
View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1323207217_IMG_5444.JPG

(7/12/11) - Small update - the wall is started
View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1323286624_IMG_5449.JPG

Pics from 13/12/11
Front all plastered up.
View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1324122146_IMG_5470.JPG

And the Stand is started (from the left, then the right)
View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1324122147_IMG_5471.JPG

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1324122147_IMG_5472.JPG

And we'll need a door in here for access
View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1324122147_IMG_5473.JPG

I've also roughed in the wiring for power and lights.

And pics from (17/12/11)

The walls have all been lined with insulation and then tile underlay on top. This will be coated with a few coats of paint.
View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1324122147_IMG_5476.JPG

And from the front (the 2 boxes are really like in built shelves). Room for the new TV in the centre (you can see the outline of where it will go if you look really, really closely). The shelves also have hidden duct to the lower white box behind the TV for connecting Wii, etc). Each shelf will have 1 x 240v outlet and 1 x CAT6 patch point. TV also has CAT5 run to it. Using the inbuilt wireless struggles when streaming full HD movies.....
View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1324122315_IMG_5478.JPG

And we have access now - a $22 special. (Also had to have a slightly different door handle so I could get one with a lock to keep the little people out). I'll also need to fix the mounting for the light switch first thing in the morning.
View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1324122315_IMG_5479.JPG

And last but not least, the base of the tank stand extends past the tank. Thought here is I can run the sump out the end if I want to allow for a large (internal) skimmer or place a large external one -for now my RO 3000 will fit nicely. has since been replaced with the Tunze 9420 - pics should come further down in aother post on another day ;)
View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1324122316_IMG_5480.JPG

This was about midnight. Forgive the colors of the photo - it's point and shoot time. Nothing better this time of morning...

Anyway - 22/12/11
View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1324474131_IMG_5484.JPG

And the TV is in, working and the Wii was connected for Xmas eve - objective met with less than 12 hours to spare.

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1324703251_IMG_5486.JPG

by 26th Jan I managed to give every bit of exposed wood inside the tank room 2 coats of paint. So it went from
View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1327528899_IMG_5529.JPG
to this (not really that exciting :-( )
View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1327528899_IMG_5534.JPG

The shelf was also up and painted.

Original plan for sumps was

1 x Refugium. Approx 560(W) x 490(D) x 500(H)
1 x DSB Approx 390 (W) x 490(D) x 400(H)
1 x Return approx 400 (W) x 490(D) x 300(H)

These will all be fed by the return from the wier. The ref will flow into the DSB, which it turn flows into the return. All return water (including from the skimmer, "backup" from the wier and DSB will return via a section in the return which will have 3 x 4" filter socks.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
12/3/12

I picked up the sumps after the minor issue had been fixed last week.

Gave them a quick clean out and leak test.
View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1329010579_IMG_5537.JPG

ALL GOOD !!!! (or so I thought at the time)

I had to empty the return as I didn't have plumber tape so the seal for the cap in the bulkhead leaked - but I figure if there was a leak in the silicone seals it would have showed in the first 5 mins.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
as of 23/3/2012

Firstly a massive thanks to everyone who helped. I couldn't have done it without their help !!!
The tank is finally back in the house !!!!!

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1332494630_IMG_5549.JPG

The move seemed to go well, although I was so focused on the task at hand I forgot to take pictures along the way

Anyway, it went from something like

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1323207217_IMG_5445.JPG

to

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1332494630_IMG_5549.JPG

Started to prepare the holding tubs, empty the stock, empty the fish, corals, rock, (save what clean water we could) and sand bed at 7am. The tank was empty by around 10:30am

Next we moved the tank, removed the plumbing and rescued what parts I could re-use.

We cleaned the inside of the tank (why not take the opportunity) and prepared to move it back inside.

Moved the tank in and slotted it into the wall - this went a lot smoother than I anticipated. There was a gap of around 10mm each side and it went straight in. Once in we notice 1 corner of the stand was approx a few mm out although the tank was level - inserted a shimmy under the foam and presto - the tank is level and all the foam had weight on it.

Next all my helpers did an ace job on scaping the base layer of rock into the tank, followed by the sand bed and then the remainder of the rock (I bury some rock to add stability to the structure so sand sifters and alike can't shift the structure by burying under it).

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1332912749_IMG_5561.JPG

We tipped what water we had saved and filled the rest from the storage tanks below - this was completed by about 2:30pm.

I finished the plumbing at about 6pm and had to take a break. Got back into it and transferred the fish and corals. I gave the system a test run at about 8pm. 2 issues - 1 major and 1 minor.

The temp seems to be running nicely around the 25/26 mark even with the lights on although I have been running a fan in the room as I have now discovered I don't have enough (any) ventilation. Until the sparky comes this week I guess it will be door open and fan on.

The minor - small leak from the isolation ball valve to the skimmer - I think it may have some crud in the actual valve. Thank god for double union ball valves.

The major- it seems my 3rd sump (the return sump) doesn't have enough volume to run - basically it runs dry. I have fixed this by moving the second largest sump there – it now has enough volume to run and handle a power out.

More luck than skill I managed to get the drain/backup tuned almost perfectly.

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1332431142_tuned.jpg

I have basically run the tank for 6 days now without a skimmer and am getting a bit nervous. I have since completed a 30% water change just in case of any ammonia spikes - all fish and coral seem to be OK. I will do another on the weekend, making it a total of 60% in 7 days. At least the plumbing is all in and with the exception of the small leak everything seems fine. I just want to run it for a few hours while I can keep an eye on it before I leave it to run overnight.

When giving it a test run I need to have a fair amount of water in the sump or else it sucks air

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1332431142_sucking_air.jpg

Currently running with all 3 x 6105's (looks like I have blown yet another of the transformers) and a heater in the DT.

Hopefully everything will last until I can get the skimmer on.

Livestock transferred to tank (Happy to be correct on the scientific names)

1x Six line wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia)
1x Kliens butterfly (Chaetodon kleinii)
1x Orange Shoulder tang (Acanthurus olivaceus)
1x Foxface (Siganus vulpinus)
1x Scopas Tang (Zebrasoma scopas)
1x Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavesenes)
1x Chromis (Chromis viridis)
Pyjama Cardinal (easily the oldest fish - I've had this one for 10yrs+) (Sphaeramia nematoptera)
Pair of Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) in their BTA

Tasks still to do
• Pull valve to skimmer apart to see why it is leaking. It only leaks when the valve is open, and on the pressure side. Close it off (so there is pressure) and it stops – go figure. At the moment it only leaks into the sump so it’s not super urgent, but still needs to be fixed and/or replaced. Done - skimmer replaced
• Get ventilation fan installed. Done
• Hook TLF 550 up so i can run Rowaphos. Done
• Think about how I could get a refugium under there – maybe the existing big sump will be OK. Maybe not. Refugium (if I ever get one) will be mounted above skimmer and gravity feed back to DT.
• Tidy up power cables and get everything mounted and off the floor. Done
• Start adding some new stock (in a few weeks). Started - better late than never
Get powerhead/s rotating for a more true “Random” flow. I have programmed a PICAXE to control a Futaba s3003 servo. Works well in theory. All I need to do is mount it into a case and mount the servo onto the bracket and attached the pump. Controller finsihed. Just need to purchase a bracket.
• Get a second magnetic cleaner for cleaning front glass. Thanks Rob - scored a Tunze cleaner.
• Fix trimming to wall at the front of tank and paint. Half done. Trimming fixed. Holes filed. Needs snading and painting.
• Think about some sort of backing instead of see through to wall. A few options here:
o Paint wall behind the tank
o Mount some painted 3mm MDF sheet to back of tank
o Sign writers Vinyl
o Do nothing (definitely the easiest)

And way of in the future.
• Replace MH’s with LED’s to save a few $$$ on electricity
• Downsize skimmer. Done - now running a Tunze 9420
• Get a Reef Angel or similar for online monitoring. Control of all equipment remains on separate components/controllers – 1 to monitor and a separate one to control. At least if something goes wrong with a controller I have a better chance of picking it up. Wating to copy Rob's DIY Pi
• Did I mention adding more stock. Never ends ;)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
29/3/2012

I was a happy man - it looked like we were going to have a good year..... Oh if I knew then what I know now..
Footy & Fish - does it get any better? (Especially when the Tigers are winning !!!)
Laying back on the couch and this is what I see

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1333012912_photo.JPG

And for the record it was 21-18 - the scoreboard was updating

PS. The drink is on the coffee table beside me - it truly doesn't get much better.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
22/4/2012

Well it's about time for an update. Not a lot has gone on, but at the same time I feel like I've been pretty busy at it.

Let’s start with a few front shots.

This on is before we had the architrave put on (the front arc's have now been completed - I just need to fill the nail holes and paint).

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1335088970_IMG_5667.JPG

and the left

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1335088970_IMG_5668.JPG

and the right (excuse the bit I missed this morning with the magnet
)

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1335088970_IMG_5669.JPG

Today the Electrician was around so I now have a wall mounted exhaust farm. It's rated for over 200m3/h so I figure that’s a little over 10x. At the moment it's on a manual switch, but the plan is to hook it up to a thermostat, humidistat or similar eventually.

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1335089111_IMG_5674.JPG

I still need to work on a mounting board to tidy up all the pump cables

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1335089111_IMG_5670.JPG

but over the past nights the pumps have all had a clean and Vinegar bath where needed.

I did manage to add a valve so I could get the TLF550 hooked up and the Rowaphos running again - but I didn't have any 12mm hose handy. Another trip to Bunnings I guess

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1335089111_IMG_5675.JPG

A few shots or various corals and I don't know why I like it so much, when trying a little top down photography I accidently caught the MH doing it's thing. I love it - as boring a shot as it is. Lucky I use point and click so the camera did the rest in terms of exposure, etc.

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1335088835_IMG_5653.JPG

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1335088835_IMG_5655.JPG

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1335088835_IMG_5656.JPG

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1335088836_IMG_5657.JPG

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1335088836_IMG_5658.JPG

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1335088970_IMG_5663.JPG

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1335088970_IMG_5665.JPG

And last but not least I am not sure why but some of my Coralline seems to be going brown/black. I'll need to do a separate post and figure out why - I haven't had a chance to run tests but when I last checked everything seemed OK. But on a positive note the algae doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1335089112_IMG_5676.JPG

That reminds me - my Alk kit is out so I need to buy another egg - more money - Arhhhhhhh. It never stops.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
7/5/2012

Small update:

I finally have my dosing pump and ATO mounted.

Here’s a shot from the “front”

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1336357526_photo2.JPG

The board is mounted on hinges (all SS screws and Hinges) so I can open it and access what’s behind if I ever need to. I’ve mounted the power board behind to try and keep the cables tidy. Couldn’t mount on the front as the stand isn’t very high (due to the fact the tank sits under the TV). When it’s opened you can access everything.

All the cables and dosing pump tubes are routed via cable tidies so opening them has no effect.
The spare points will be used by the return pump (currently running to another power point) and the skimmer (currently also running to a separate power board)

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1336357527_photo3.JPG

And finally a shot going down the length of the tank underneath. I’m still leaning towards putting a long (4’ to suit off the shelf lighting) narrow (about 25cms is all I can fit with the current dosing tank drums) for a refuge.

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1336357526_photo1.JPG

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Picked up a few fish from vpreef

1 Cleaner wrasse, 1 flame hawk, 1 solaris wrasse

Pics to come, but I never saw the Sloaris after it went in the tank.

The Cleaner would be in the wier at least 3 or 4 times a day, the flamehawk 2 times every 3 days. At least the flame is getting better.

In the first 2 days I had to get fish out of the wier 14 times. Crazy crazy stuff.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
And last night I got my first clam from Rob - what a nice one to.

Will try and get a pic tomorrow and update this post.
have dropped this week for some reason.
tested water tonight and came up with the following:

Temp: 25
pH: 8.4 (API)
Alk: 9.688 (Hanna)
Salinity: 1.025 (Refractometer)
Ca: 428 (Hanna) - a little low has been steady on around 480-500.
Mg: 1320 (Salifert)
PO4: 0.00 (Hanna) - kit is working as RO tested 0.03. I might need to turn the reactor off for a week to get some Phos into the system now my algae issue is fixed

Everything is steady expect the Ca which seems to have dropped for the some reason this week. I will test again tomorrow - this might have been my first "inconsistent" reading which many users say they have issues with the Hanna Ca eggs.

Other than that the tank is coming along nicely...