Tank Journal Archive

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Not much to update, but for what it's worth.
All my params seem OK on paper and heading in the right direction - last tests on 22/2 were
  • Temp: 27.8 (seems to swing between low 26's and high 28's during the day - once the Halides are out this shouldn't swing so much)
  • pH: 8.49
  • Alk: 10.52
  • Salinity: 1.026
  • Ca: 432
  • Po4: 0.06
  • Mg: 1230
I've backed the dosing on the Alk down a touch to try and get it back to 9ish.
I've done a couple of big weekly water changes and have been syphoning what I can off the rocks and sandbed. Fingers crossed I am getting on top of it. It does come back, but each time is a little slower.

Visually the corals aren't thriving, but they are surviving.:(

I also spent an hour and syphoned both sumps clean and cleaned the return pump back at the start of Feb (see 5 posts back). Since cleaning the skimmer the anti over foam function of the skimmer has been working better and I am getting a dark tea coloured skimmate out of it, about 1/2 a cup daily. I've also noticed the filter socks are catching a lot of the cyno/dyno/whatever it is (which indicates to me it might be ding and coming off - this definitely wasn't the case previously).

I added a Bangaii way back on the 19/01/2013 - a little something for myself to start the New Year. I also had a small Powder Blue Tang on hold at Reeflections, but it passed before I picked it up. The Bangaii has been eating Mysis like a pig but still refuses to eat the pallets. Hopefully in time she'll (a little hard to tell, but I suspect a female) get the idea. For what it's worth here's a shot. I know the rule about cleaning the glass, but I haven't cleaned it in about 2 weeks. I'll try and get a few betters pics by next weekend, including cleaned glass

Bangaii Fish.JPG

And last night I picked up a small Powder Blue from Reeflections. I had it in my Ghetto "cage" in a tank to try and help it eat, let the other tangs get used to it, etc. Turns out it constantly tried to get through the bottom to swim down and the other tangs didn't pay it any attention (it is significantly smaller than every other tang in the tank). I decided to bite to bullet and throw it into the DT. I watched it for a good 20 mins and nothing even bothered with it. It's swimming with "the big boys" fine, not showing any signs of wanting to hide, etc. Here's a pic of it, complete with dirty glass. The clowns in the background give you an idea of size.

PowderBlue.JPG

The spots on the fish aren't actually there - that’s my dirty glass. I have noticed a "tiger like" stripe pattern of lighter blue - I'm assuming this is an indication of a little stress (being added to the DT just now) and hopes it will disappear by night’s end.

It looks very thin in the body, but the stomach seems to bludge a little. Who knows maybe it did eat a bit of the nori whilst in the Ghetto cage for the day. Ernie seems to think all smaller PB's are thin so I'll trust him. Also seems consistent with @Rob PB and his has survived a while.

I dumped a heap of feed into the tank (Vegie mix, brine shrimp and NLS pallets) but it doesn't seem interested in anything as yet. Hopefully it gets the idea in the next few days.

Anyway, off to do a little work on my DIY LED's - maybe the longest build out there. Hopefully I'll get it all finished tonight (or tomorrow at least)

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Good to hear this blue is doing well, looks a nice fish! Hope the one I'm getting next week does as well and doesn't stress too much in transport.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Bad news on the PB tang - passed away after about a week or so (from memory). I'll try a larger, fatter one next time I think.

Now onto what has been the major Bain of my tank for the past (as long as I can remember) - damn algae.

I think I have made progress. I have been keeping my PO4 at 0.05 (or lower) with regular water changes and nothing else. My nitrates have been somewhere between 0.75 (Red Sea Ultra low kit) and 7.5 (Salifert). Either way I am not to concerned as both are acceptable numbers - reminder to self to get around to @Elias as he has offered a 3rd (and different brand) kit to figure which was correct.

So what's happened recently

1) Summer is over. This means my tank is now more stable (in terms of heating during the day). I have always been able to control to *low* temp accurately but during the summer it could raise by as much as 3 degrees over a day (although this would be the extreme number).
2) I have started using Rowa Carbon (thanks @Rob)
3) time.... oh so much time.
4) Regular 25%+ water changes (going through a lot of water here at 250L + per change)

Anyway, I no longer have any algae issue on my sand bed. Some rocks still continue to have the issue but there are to many and they are towards the base of the structure so I can't just remove them. I guess I just need a little more time and keep doing the things I am doing.

I WILL WIN THIS BATTLE.

So, starting yesterday I

1) Did a 30% water change, syphoning out what I could from the rocks.
2) started a "blackout" for 5 days. It's not exactly black, but there are no lights and the room curtains are remaining shut. Let's call it a brown out. It's fairly dark during the day and very dark all other times.
3) Added what Rowa Phos I had left. Let's see if I can get it below 0.05ppm
4) Changed out Rowa Carbon for a new batch. Was due for a change anyway
5) Temp is staying a stable 26.1 (now summer is over and the lights are off, the heater is on often to keep it there)

I suspect this won't fix the issue but won't hurt. Maybe I just need to give the rocks more time to leech their crap. Also going to give some Coral Snow a try as a *fix* in the hope that the water conditions are now OK and good enough to keep it at bay.

Stock wise, nothing else has been lost (other than a few Xenia frags @Rob gave me - they literally melted in a day - no idea why). Everything else is looking good (although I can't get the green weed to come out ;) )

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
No worries Ad... any time. you know where I live. Just a question. I know you're intently watching your nitrates and phosphates and are comparing kits for results but, have you thought about checking/comparing pH/Alk kits/results? If these are actually low and your kits are missing it, it may explain par of your struggle. Just a thought.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
No worries Ad... any time. you know where I live. Just a question. I know you're intently watching your nitrates and phosphates and are comparing kits for results but, have you thought about checking/comparing pH/Alk kits/results? If these are actually low and your kits are missing it, it may explain par of your struggle. Just a thought.
My concern is only trying to ascertain which kit is correct (there is a factor of 10 difference between them). We did both tests from the same water sample at the same time and got 2 vastly different results.

My pH, Alk, etc seem to be correct. (Separate test kits had results within an acceptable tolerance of each other) The parameters move around a little, but remain fairly consistent. If I do something silly (like dump a little extra Alk mix in the DT) I see the swing.

For the record I think my water is pretty good and the difference between the 2 Nitrate kits is the only question.

Oh - and I think the results are finally starting to show (in a positive way)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Only just noticed my last update was lost when there was a slight outage to the site.

Oh we'll - in short.

I left the tank for nearly 2 weeks while we went on a holiday. Learnt a few lessons but in short everything seemed to come through OK.

my nitrates shot up to around 100ppm, but everything else was good. Issue was I left a filter sock in place for 2 weeks without being changed and the skimmer was off for the same 2 weeks (didn't want to ask the tank sitter to empty fish poo every 2nd day.

Maybe before my next trip I can try and hook up a avast skimmer cleaner and the cup to auto drain (collects about a litre per day).

Anyhow I also got a PowerderBlue from @chruchy - well a few weeks on and it seems to have settled in nicely. Got a few small battle scars as it fits in with all the other tangs but there appears to be no aggression now and everything is almost healed (they were next to nothing anyway).

Just did a water change and will check the params either tonight or tomorrow.

Algae seems to be all but cleared up and softies are looking really fast and plump.

As soon as the tax man is nice the DIY LED's will be next ;-)

Until then - happy reefing......