Tank Journal Archive

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Major Change To Scape.
So 1 week ago i placed the blocks into a bucket of tank water (from water change).
I tested all the parameters that i have test kits for.
KH, PH, calc, mag, nitrate, phos, nitrite and ammonia.

There was nothing different from my own tank water. So I took the plunge.

Its been 2 days now. SPS and other corals had polyp extension straight away.
Fish swam and normal even picking at the rock.

Tested water again today, everything normal and sill healthy.

I was REALLY surprised to see no phos!

Even though i had always praised myself on a clean tank i was shocked at how filthy it was when rocks were moved. They are real garbage collectors.

60% of the live rock has been moved to the sump and i will slowly remove most piece by piece.
The sand bed will seed the concrete and also having a zeovit system i imagine that when i pump the stones more bacteria will be released and they will start to colonise the concrete.

I am also so impressed with the zeovit system. My sps is sooo bright and happy even the stags i got from
@Buddy have come back to life more than ever and growth is crazy.

The zeo supplements i use are,

sponge power for a healthy system 3 drops every second day.
coral vitalizer 4 drops 3 times a week
and amino acid 4 drops twice a week.
pohls extra 2 ml twice a week.

I am surprised that this has been enough to get the blue to really come through. I have had a few sps frags for a while that have never had colour maybe a brown green. Cant believe they turned out to be blue or a purple green.
Anyone getting into zeovit will be totally surprised how many corals are hiding behind a brown skin.
Not sure on the sand bed display. its very pixie garden lol

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Is that how much your monti has grown??? lol that's insane!

looks different but no doubt will look amazing when everything grows out, props for taking a different approach :)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
So 1 week ago i placed the blocks into a bucket of tank water (from water change).
I tested all the parameters that i have test kits for.
KH, PH, calc, mag, nitrate, phos, nitrite and ammonia.

There was nothing different from my own tank water. So I took the plunge.

Its been 2 days now. SPS and other corals had polyp extension straight away.
Fish swam and normal even picking at the rock.

Tested water again today, everything normal and sill healthy.

I was REALLY surprised to see no phos!

Even though i had always praised myself on a clean tank i was shocked at how filthy it was when rocks were moved. They are real garbage collectors.

60% of the live rock has been moved to the sump and i will slowly remove most piece by piece.
The sand bed will seed the concrete and also having a zeovit system i imagine that when i pump the stones more bacteria will be released and they will start to colonise the concrete.

I am also so impressed with the zeovit system. My sps is sooo bright and happy even the stags i got from
@Buddy have come back to life more than ever and growth is crazy.

The zeo supplements i use are,

sponge power for a healthy system 3 drops every second day.
coral vitalizer 4 drops 3 times a week
and amino acid 4 drops twice a week.
pohls extra 2 ml twice a week.

I am surprised that this has been enough to get the blue to really come through. I have had a few sps frags for a while that have never had colour maybe a brown green. Cant believe they turned out to be blue or a purple green.
Anyone getting into zeovit will be totally surprised how many corals are hiding behind a brown skin.
Not sure on the sand bed display. its very pixie garden lol

View attachment 42350
View attachment 42348 View attachment 42349
have you stopped using ZeoBak and ZeoStart?

what do you use to maintain Cal/Mag/Alk?

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
No I still use bak and start.
Sorry I could have explained that better. The others are coral food sups.

For kh, mag, calc
I use redsea powders.
Kh n calc 1/4t morning n night.
Mag 1/2t once a week.
have you stopped using ZeoBak and ZeoStart?

what do you use to maintain Cal/Mag/Alk?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
WOW :D I love it, I think going the cinder blocks is an amazing idea!! :) I would have gotten a couple extra's and broken them a little to create a little more area and coral spots but your tank is going to look soo amazing once it all grows out! Not that it's not looking amazing already ;) Can't wait to see how this turns out :)

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
WOW :D I love it, I think going the cinder blocks is an amazing idea!! :) I would have gotten a couple extra's and broken them a little to create a little more area and coral spots but your tank is going to look soo amazing once it all grows out! Not that it's not looking amazing already ;) Can't wait to see how this turns out :)
i actually tried the breaking idea but i broke the hammer instead lol