Reef Discussion

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
It has settled in now. The skimmer definitely is not silent, just makes a hum as you would expect from the bubbles being produced.
My tank is 260L and I would have preferred the D500 but who knows how long it would be for them to have stock. But the little D300 is doing a good job so far.
If you aren't heavily stocked then I would say the D300 will be fine. It is much easier to clean and maintain a skimmer that isn't shoehorned in to your sump.

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
It has settled in now. The skimmer definitely is not silent, just makes a hum as you would expect from the bubbles being produced.
My tank is 260L and I would have preferred the D500 but who knows how long it would be for them to have stock. But the little D300 is doing a good job so far.
If you aren't heavily stocked then I would say the D300 will be fine. It is much easier to clean and maintain a skimmer that isn't shoehorned in to your sump.
Thanks heaps for that buddy. Amazing how people can interpret 'silent' differently. I find my current aqua one HOB quite loud but I do believe the noise is bubble noise. If you were standing 5metres away from your tank do you hear the noise?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks heaps for that buddy. Amazing how people can interpret 'silent' differently. I find my current aqua one HOB quite loud but I do believe the noise is bubble noise. If you were standing 5metres away from your tank do you hear the noise?
Oh yeah for sure. If my house is silent I can hear the skimmer in the next room easily. But as soon as the tv, fan etc is on then I can't hear it.
If I am in the next room but the door is closed then I can't hear it.
If it was in a bedroom I would be putting it on a timer so it is off when I am sleeping. But you would probably need to do that with any skimmer...

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
Oh yeah for sure. If my house is silent I can hear the skimmer in the next room easily. But as soon as the tv, fan etc is on then I can't hear it.
If I am in the next room but the door is closed then I can't hear it.
If it was in a bedroom I would be putting it on a timer so it is off when I am sleeping. But you would probably need to do that with any skimmer...
Awesome. I'm currently about 10 metres away and can heary skimmer over the microwave and dishwasher which are currently on so I think that's sold me....thanks again for all your help. Appreciate it :&

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
Well anyone following this....skimmer arrived a couple days ago and I'm very impressed. So much quiter than my aqua one!
Big thanks to @Buddy for all your help. One thing I've found so far is it's overflowing like crazy with water level at the recommended mark...anyone else experienced this?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Can't go wrong with the CoralBox skimmers. the only one of mine that makes a lot of noise is the DC900s at the shop and I'd have to do something about those if they were in my house. Just make sure all of the silicone feet are on the skimmer and it's not touching anything.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Well anyone following this....skimmer arrived a couple days ago and I'm very impressed. So much quiter than my aqua one!
Big thanks to @Buddy for all your help. One thing I've found so far is it's overflowing like crazy with water level at the recommended mark...anyone else experienced this?
mine overflowed like crazy for a few days before it settled down. How is it going now?

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
mine overflowed like crazy for a few days before it settled down. How is it going now?
Probably took 2 weeks to settle down but I Am finding I have to open it open every 3or4 days as it starts getting really loud, I re-seat the impeller then it's all good again for another 3 or 4 days....emailed Eric couple days ago so hopefully I hear back from him soon with a solution

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Probably took 2 weeks to settle down but I Am finding I have to open it open every 3or4 days as it starts getting really loud, I re-seat the impeller then it's all good again for another 3 or 4 days....emailed Eric couple days ago so hopefully I hear back from him soon with a solution
Bugger! Mine has been going great after the initial break in period.

Fats

Jun 18, 2017
@Buddy @ReeferRob what have you got your water levels at? I'm like A couple mm under optimal mark, gate wide open and currently on 70% power....would rather run it higher power but it just overflows way to much

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If you go over that mark, it will overflow. I keep mine the same as you, a few mm under the mark. if it goes a few mm over, boom, I have a mess.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I just put stuff under the skimmer till it was high enough that it wasn't overflowing. I am not exactly sure of the water level.