Tank Journal Archive

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Mitras Lights Have Landed
Got a couple of second hand lights from a Sydney reefer. they are a pair of LX6100-HV's, so I have replaced my DIY units.

mitras.jpg

Have not really played with any programming however just loaded the "Great Barrier reef" profile. It certainly a lot whiter than I am used to and the time period is longer than my 11:30-10 old program.

Its really cleaned up my wiring in the cabinet now as I only run a power cord to them. Have the wifi profilux card on my Christmas list so I can tune then through the profilux which is wifi to the home router.

DSC_0192.JPG

I have my electric light frame extended and will slowly lower it over the coming month. Although my old light had heaps of HV LED's so dont think these units are significantly any more powerful than my old unit.

I really wanted these to complete my GHL Profilux addiction.

Last edited:

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
You'll love the Mitras mate, nice light. Let me know how you go with the programs, dial the White out and blue up - that is why the 6200hv has more blue :p

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
That acrylic food "dispenser" above your powerhead, did you make or buy that? Details needed, looks like an ideal way to feed frozen cubes :)

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
@Sam Parker

.ms_fd-50_1.jpg

You could easily make one or buy it from Guppy's.. I eventually plan on printing one which has a holder for the ehiem feeder say 50mm above the ring. so the food drops into the ring but high enough to not suffer too much from condensation. Even printing the holder I still plan on using a small piece of clear acrylic tube.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
@Sam Parker

.View attachment 44774

You could easily make one or buy it from Guppy's.. I eventually plan on printing one which has a holder for the ehiem feeder say 50mm above the ring. so the food drops into the ring but high enough to not suffer too much from condensation. Even printing the holder I still plan on using a small piece of clear acrylic tube.
Cheers! The printed mount for the eheim auto feeder is a good idea also ;)

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
@macca_75 Its not that I have not been printing, In fact Ive never printed soo much before but not Aquarium related. Its a Raspberrypi, wifi, vision equipped, coil gun tank. The firing coil running at 360VDC soon to be a 460VDC which shoots a 20mm x 6mm projectile. Its difficult to see the turret and coil in the pic but you get the idea. Its a father/son project.... and BTW tell your son it beats a Nerf bullet so watch out next time he's around :)

OK Im way off topic unless you want to fire Nori made bullets into our aquarium at about 15m/sec from across the room.

tank.JPG

I will get around to printing the ehiem feeder ring mounts for Reefuge members as I think it would be a great evolution of the feeding ring.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
astusshed.files.wordpress.com_2012_11_homer_drooling_large.png

speaking of 3d printers, got mine now - but having trouble dialling it in and learning how to use it. Keen for a tinker??? Will supply food and beer!

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
coming along nicely - I'm not telling him. Next time, remote it around the corner and get him in the head - HEADSHOT!!!

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
@muz_z Thanks for the comments, (although you had to agree that look good), you did pack them very well for shipping so thanks..

Found the setting on the slave light that allows me to bias down the RHS light 15~20% compared to my LHS. I have usually run the LHS brighter for the SPS side of the tank, although its hard to pick when looking at it.

Plugging the laptop in is a PITA will have to do a sewatec order and get the profilux interface card for my birthday or maybe Christmas..

@Sam Parker Moon light problem.
Although I should just plug my laptop back in and check, I am sure the Blue LED's were ticked for simulation, so I assumed I would get moon light as I can remember the moon time being set under the sim tab. Needless to say Moon phase is not working, all lights are off at night. I'll have to plug in and take another look at the settings, The current light program just sets everything to 0% when lighting period is over and the LED with sim ticked will just spring into life for the moon phase ? or do I have to leave the blue LED at a value greater than 0 overnight.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
You've answered your own question (or are just a step ahead of me!), need value higher than zero for moon sim to function. They say 5% is good as it allows for five different phases of moon for realism, but in my setup it was just way too bright. I just use the illumination from the touchpad as moonlighting, just doesn't do lunar phasing :p

Sam

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
yeah for me, just ordered the profilux plm-pwc card so i can control my lights from my profilux. Will end up as a late Birthday present :)

You can select each light as master or slave. If set to slave it just wirelessly follows whatever the master is doing. Now with the interface card in the profilux it looks like you set all lights to slave and they just follow what in fact is a virtual master light which just happens to be the wireless interface card in the profilux.

have I said before how much I luv my profilux haha.... hopefully this is the last piece, although never say never.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
@MTG Lights are set to low power mode and running at 80%. Have been slowly lowering the light frame since installed in parallel to managing a cyano outbreak which happened when i dropped my nitrate to 0.00. All good now though

I did thought my diy unit was full spectrum however since installing the lights my large green leather polyps are way more dense and a reasonable sized acro that was nuked by my RBTA 6 months ago ( no life at all) has started to come back.

Still to play with the program though running the great barrier reef program by rodney. the afternoon spectrum looks fantastic. When i get it onto my profilux it will be alot easier to tinker with as plugging in the laptop is a pita.

Aesthetics of the tank cabinet is important to me as its open top and in a small family room so these look very slick.

I do t know if i could justify the costs if purchasing new however i think myself very lucky to have picked these up 2nd hand. Your a champion @muz_z