Reef Discussion

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
Just a thought.... I see alot of people with large setups with timber stands and hoods.... I wonder if anyone would go for neat powdercoated aluminium frames? no rust or rot from salt water powdercoated in colour of choice. able to be customised to fit whatever gear needed. Welded with structural aluminium so heaps strong enough.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
most people do go that way. then they clad it with that kitchen door board in black or white costs more tho.

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
how much more are we talking. I run an aluminium and stainless steel fabrication shop.... We have a lot of scrap peices that are too small for use with what we make but perfect for stands. Maybe I'll get one made for a 4x2x2 and see what it looks like. can put doors and everything on it.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i would use steel tho not aluminium
3x2x2 or 4x2x2 is a good starting size. my tank is a 3x2x2 and its perfect.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
(the reason i like 3x2x2 rather then 4x2x2 is you can get away with one light rather then two)!

The RSM definetly do look good, but for $1700 od retail i dont see it myself, each to there own tho ;)

Another option is the aquanova cube, comes with everything except light, retun pump and skimmer. should be able to bargain down to the $1000 dollar mark, trust me the markup is there to do it so shop around. then for the extra cash a new rsm is worth you could get a Skimz skimmer, led light and decent reutn pump and you would have a larger, nicer (i prefer white over black) sumped LED tank with decent skimmer....

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
Why steel.... that would bump price up and would eventually rust.... ally - structural 3mm no rust and a nicer powdercoating finish

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
Well I bit the bullet..... Ordered my RSM 130D today in white. Pick it up next week. Wish I could of brought it home today.

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
Well I thought Id shop around a bit online and found that the sydney and canberra stores are much cheaper than up here. As I travel for work to sydney once a month I thought I'd just pick one up while im down there. I have asked one online store up in Brisbane to see if they can match but am just waiting to hear back.... otherwise Canberra it is. (Saves almost $600)

Jeso

Oct 26, 2011
Main Beach GC
ordered a white RSM130D with cabinet. still unsure about the starter kit tho. also ordered a ibox nano reef.
ended up $1260 for both.