Tank Journal Archive

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Nanoo Nano
Introduction: After seeing all the tj's and then seeing a couple of great nanos in person (tx Chimaera!) I got this little one to see how I go with them.

Reefing Since: July 2012

System Objectives: To have a good looking little tank

Type of reef: Softies and lps

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: 6th November 2012

Display Tank Dimensions: 24x12x12

Display Lighting: TBA , 35w Halogen.

Stand: None

Hood or Rimless: rimless

Sump Design: None

Filtration: HOB Aquaone 750lph, temporary.

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: NSW

Display Water circulation: TBA

Return Pump: None

Skimmer: None

Evaporation Top Up: Manual​
Please note the lack of scape but I do have the design aid ready to go near the tank.​
nan1.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Awesome! haha I knew it wouldn't take long. Are you planning an AquaClear unit in place of the one you have? If so look at the Hydor Theo 50W as it fits in the HOB, and I would also recommend an InTank media basket ... though you can also DIY one from the AquaClear basket.

You just need a full spectrum PAR38 and clamp and you're set!

What stocking plans do you have?

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Tx! Was going to just go for a couple of small internal circ pumps and not have the hob after that but it does a good flow rate so not sure yet. The heater in there is a 300w aquaone, overkill I know but figured it will do the job and I can get smaller later. If I keep a hob filter it would have to go in the same spot as the one I have now so will check the aquaclear range.

I have noticed the PAR38 mentioned a lot lately and had a look on Guppy's, not a bad price. I also looked at their 75w led unit.

Stocking will be the acans and zoas from the big tank initially after that more acans and maybe a chalice on top of a rock but thats as far as I have planned for corals. Fish wise I think I have to get a coral goby and a blenny, a bicolor would look cool, not too sure on other small fish as subs or additional. I would like a coral banded shrimp although that crab you got is so stunning!

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Tx guys, I hadn't even heard of par38 till a week ago when someone mentioned them for their nano. They look like great solution.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Will keep an eye out for pricing on the combo, read the link and it sounds like a great idea with lots of options for colors.

The par38 sounds like a good option for now, will have to be end of the month for it though, the funds are sparse till then. Lol then its a toss up of serviving the car or getting more stuff for the tanks :D

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Had a look at the Aquaclear range on AoA, which one do you reccomend that would hold the Theo 50w heater?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
The one you saw on my tank is an AC70 which would be a good option for this size tank, though I believe the Theo fits in an AC50 also.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Tx! Will check them out again tomorrow, just took a few shots of the 400 and the eyes don't want to focus :confused:

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Also don't discount the HOB you have now - as long as it pushes water through some filter floss, carbon, or whatever else you need ... then it probably does its job. The AquaClears are better, but for the sake of cycling etc then the one you have might well be fine (or even beyond cycle, could do you just fine).

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
For the first time in its working life its a bit noisy, but its also the smallest tank I have had in on. It will do fine till I can upgrade it especially during cycling.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Was going to get the usual 2mm coral sand but figured I would try something different for me. Not sure how long if any cycle will take place as some of the live rock is out of the sump in the main tank but no rush to put anything in it. There is a very small crab and a couple of 5mm snails in the rock already visible.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
I barely got any ammonia or nitrite as I used mostly rock from my sump so went ahead and added a couple of morphs to see how they go. Atm there is zero ammonia and nitrite but the spikes barely registered when they did happen.

I have my first hitchikers, a small snail that could be a whelk or small turbo and a crab that is a massive 5mm :)

naqua

Sep 22, 2012
Sandringham
Awesome! Really like the colour (though always hard to tell via a camera of course). Clamping to that shelf is a cool idea though yes, need to sort out how to make the wire look neat! The shelf is solid though, right? Wouldn't want the lot to end up in the tank because of a loose shelf ...

Spread is really good too, almost surprised at how well it covers the entire tank. A little shading on the sides so two would be optimal, but one is certainly pretty good.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
For normal pics I use the auto wb setting so its pretty much how it looks in rl, maybe a slight more blue in the shadows. I have put a five kilo fossil skull on the shelf so no chance of the light taking it down . Shit! What was that splash.......................... :p

Light spread is a lot larger than I expected too but two bulbs will be even better for it. Not sure if its a bit too high but the lower shelf is a bit too low so think it will be fine. The corals all opened up , the acans even more so than in the big tank.