Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
My main concern about a stomo in a coral nano tank is the amount of time MY HAND is in the tank! Nevermind the strombs and gobies :p

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Well the more interactive the species the greater the risk of being attacked by it when you put your hand in the tank...

I can leave my hand in my O.scyllarus tanks for a while (largest smashers I have) it will take them a few minutes to come out and closer investigate but, with some of my smaller smashers specifically my 3 G.graphurus, as soon as my hand enters, they charge out striking.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
The smithii's don't seem to be as aggressive although i do have to watch Sphinx-will swim out of nowhere and she's fast
got my hands in their tanks a lot but keep a watchful eye out

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
I will admit that all the times I have been hit, I have been 'lucky' in a sense that none of the stomatopods opened up there smashing hammers (exposing the sharp dagger) being hit by the dagger is far far worse...is the same force but the needle/dagger is being driven into the flesh the most likely outcome is it snapping off inside the flesh due to panic from both the stomatopod & the person struck, many species have inverted spines on their daggers to help them secure fleshy prey, this can make removing the snapped off dactyl/dagger from inside the flesh very difficult.

To make matters worse, stomatopods understand anatomy, if given the time (leave your hand in to long) they will 'assume' weak spots, on the hand for example this is the nails, the joints & the veins. I'm fortunate enough to of always been struck in a joint on one of my fingers, I did get hit on the finger tip once that scared the hell out of me cause if it hit my nail...god it would of hurt =X this anatomy behavior is extended from there day to day hunting activity, fingers resemble legs on other crustaceans, the joints are very similar which are swiftly targeted first as weak spots.

What helps to amplify all this is the mere fact that as humans we have many nerves in our hands in comparison to other parts this allows us to 'feel' better with this part of the body, this can be good & bad...

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
In the most recent FTS shot, to the right, is that a frogspawn ?

Love how it's perched up on the rock looks like a fluffy tree :D

The 'plate' coral/fungia is big :confused: all the 'mushroom/flower" type corals (corallimorphs/fungia) make me hungry :p they remind me of some sort of Donuts you would find on that planet Pandora in the movie Avatar, hanging off some trippy tree, in that hippy forest, nearly gave me a seizure watching it the first time :dead...
I also thought it looked like a tripped-out Bonsai :D

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Quick pic of 1 of my gobies who now has a lobster egg addiction and follows me around the tank waiting.

gb1.jpg

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
The lobster eggs are frozen variety by Ocean Nutrition. They must be small, I can't see any actual eggs but thats just with my crappy naked eye and no 10x.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
The lobster eggs are frozen variety by Ocean Nutrition. They must be small, I can't see any actual eggs but thats just with my crappy naked eye and no 10x.
My fish go nuts for these, I can see the eggs quite clearly in the tank haha. They also stay suspended in the water column so the fish get them all instead of the overflow.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
With just the 2 tiny fish I just cut a very small piece off a cube and thaw it in my fingers so maybe I'm squashing them :D

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
They just look like micro bubbles floating around the tank. I only give a quarter of a cube and that's plent for my 5 small fish.

naqua

Sep 22, 2012
Sandringham
I got my second Par38 from Naqua yesterday, given the state the package was in I would feel confident in saying these are tough mofos! The tank looks even better with the two lights (imo).

Aussie Posts finest footy efforts.
http://www.thereefuge.com.au/board/attachments/pack-jpg.9748/

The fts with the new light.
View attachment 9785
Now that's what I'm talking about. Looks awesome!! I see you moved to the lower shelf too, think that is a good height.

Glad it survived the treatment from those aus post bastards too.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Well things were going just a bit too smoothly, I now have a nice load of what I'm assuming is cyano on the bottom of the tank. There was a bit of algae forming the past 2 weeks but with the second lamp it went into overdrive!
I have no readable phosphate , nitrates barely register so very low so I am assuming its the excess light. The tank lights are on for between 8 and 9 hours so I will cut that back to 7 and see what happens. The tank is still very new of course so might just be part of the ongoing cycle. I change the floss in the hob filter daily and each morning it does have a fair bit of gunk in it, enough to turn it a light brown so its taking some shit out for sure. Was going to take a pic of the algae but we have all seen it before :).

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Since I had my hands in the tank for the acans and was taking some pics of them I figure why not do the nano as well :D. The frags on the bottom are going to be up for grabs once they have settled down properly, January or so.

This little goby really likes the rock with all the zoas on it.
king.jpg

The side shot. The xenia isn't buried it just looks that way the small rock is pushed in :rolleyes
side15dec.jpg

The mandatory fts.
fts15dec.jpg