Tank Journal Archive

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Bit of bad news, found the smaller coral goby on the kitchen floor last night :(. Pretty sure it was the cbs scaring it as I hadn't been to the kitchen for hours and the cat only goes there when I do. Silly bugger liked hanging out near the cbs when the bigger goby was in there as it didn't like the shrimp.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Tx guys was a real let down, I was hand feeding it after the bigger one got moved so it definitely wasn't scared of me or the cat. Will have a re think about fish for it, with the cbs more shrimp are a no go (lol I hand feed the cbs too). A blenny would be nice but bicolors seem scarce at the moment according to the shop in town, not sure if others would do ok in a 2 foot x 1 foot x 1 foot. I had even thought of a bangai but they can be a bit boring and more than 1 chromis/damoiselle wouldn't work.................tank might also be way too small for these guys as well.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
A tiger or red spot blenny would go well in there - Reeflections has had them in on and off the last couple of months. There were some bicolours around a few months back (Bunarong had them too) but haven't seen them recently.

A Banggai can be a bit dull ... we have one and it's pretty, feisty (the first there when I feed), but mostly just floats around haha. A few chromis would be okay too ... as would a damsel (not sure about 3 of those). The wife was trying to persuade me to get a domino this weekend from Mentone ...but gave in when I said she would have to give up her Banggai to get it.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Will have a squiz at Deer park and Williamstown next payday and see what they have. Lol I want the bacteria to keep going so still feeding as if a fish was in the tank, the shrimp might be getting enough though and it feels silly to feed a fishless tank. having said that I am now feeding the corals every couple of days anyway so that should be more than enough for the bacteria to enjoy.

Tas

Jan 29, 2013
Yep I really like the look of the par38 lights, already sent email to naqua

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Got 2 new inmates for the nano, Talbot's damsels. According to the shop they were from a private tank and have been together for a while so hopefully no deaths. If size is anything to go by it will be 1M and 1F, the pic is of the biggest which I assume to be male but with fish that might be the wrong assumption :D

talbots.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
That's really pretty! There are quite a few nice looking damsels, they get a bad rep though haha. Maybe I'll do a damsel tank one day.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Got 2 new inmates for the nano, Talbot's damsels. According to the shop they were from a private tank and have been together for a while so hopefully no deaths. If size is anything to go by it will be 1M and 1F, the pic is of the biggest which I assume to be male but with fish that might be the wrong assumption :D

View attachment 11661
my first ever marine fish and always will be my favourite fish...although had him on his own at the beginning for 2 weeks and anything i put in he killed so had to get rid of him :( pepito

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
In the case of the damsels I'm keeping an eye on any agro and if it gets too serious I will take 1 of them back to the shop, not going to risk putting any in the main tank just in case.

I got my aquaclear 50 today and unfortunately I'm not very impressed with it. It puts out the same flow rate as the aquaone that I already have and if I'm being generous its 2/3 the size for matrix. Nobody down here sells them so I never got to see them in person and pics never really show scale. The next size up would have given me better flow but probably no gain in space. I should have got the circ pump or the hydor heater as it would easily fit in the aquaone but at least I have a spare hob filter if needed :).

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
In the case of the damsels I'm keeping an eye on any agro and if it gets too serious I will take 1 of them back to the shop, not going to risk putting any in the main tank just in case.

I got my aquaclear 50 today and unfortunately I'm not very impressed with it. It puts out the same flow rate as the aquaone that I already have and if I'm being generous its 2/3 the size for matrix. Nobody down here sells them so I never got to see them in person and pics never really show scale. The next size up would have given me better flow but probably no gain in space. I should have got the circ pump or the hydor heater as it would easily fit in the aquaone but at least I have a spare hob filter if needed :).
Bugger - but yes, I am sure it will come in useful at some point.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Already has, I got a new 3 footer as a qt so I have it filled and the aquaclear is up and running. The flow rate is a lot less than aquaone but boy is it quiet! The aquaone is very quiet but the aquaclear I can't hear at all. Lol to top it off the shop now has aquaclear 50 since I mentioned I was going to get one. They always give me a good discount but it was still cheaper from AoA including postage.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
hey i seen in another thread you added a skimmer...what type is it? planing to update with it in here?

:poidh :)

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Hi Leo, yep I have added in a Red Sea Prizm hob skimmer to the nano. For a while the nano ws just a big frag rack but now I can start to work on it again, the bottom was covered in zoa plugs that I was keeping for people or swapping. In another thread I have listed my tanks and possible changes to them etc. including a possible closure of this tank but won't be for a while if I head in that direction.

I added the skimmer today and it doesn't look quite as bad as I had thought and after a bit of tweaking I have it skimming properly and no micro bubbles from it. I still need a circulation pump but this is a step forward :)

The fts shot with the bubbles, will take a better pic later now that it has settled a bit.