Tank Journal Archive

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
No real update this weekend. The cbs has settled in very well and comes up to grab mysis from the turkey baster I use so very happy about that. I have had a couple of corals knocked off their perch by "something" a couple of the snails may be the culprit but I can't see it being the crab that is in there................its all of 1cm across. There is another possibility that could be a bit scarier, I might have a hitchiker that I haven't seen as "something" is diggin under one of the zoa rocks a real lot. I hear some clicking at night time but figured it was the cbs (still may be) but the other possibilities are a pistol shrimp or a small mantis, neither of which I would have had a problem with if I hadn't bought the cbs. I would have thought either of those two would be a threat to the cbs and it would have taken action but will be a wait and see game :)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
do u have any hermits?

in my old tank i thought i heard clicking but it was their shells bashing against glass or rock when they move lol

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Nope no hermits in this one. The cbs was off for a wander round the tank last night and some small clicking sounds again but they stopped after he dashed back to his hangout, not very loud clicks so might still be the cbs. I'm keeping an eye out on the excavation work so if it is a mantis or pistol I should eventually catch a glimpse. I did find a small pistol in part of the sump of the main tank and I know there is a bigger one I have had there from day one but never got a look at it. The new one is about 1.5cm long with its claws extended.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Tx Jonny, hoping to get a different hob filter for it in Jan and a 50w Hydor Theo heater that will fit in the filter so it is out of the way. Lol my gobies love sitting on the suction cups they will be devastated when I get rid of it :). I do like the idea of the refugium though!

Yeah it looks quite neat when you do it right! :) but really good Job so far mate. I'm going for the same look miniscal aqua scape. :) keep the updates rolling in

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Not a lot to report on the nano either, the cbs has had it's first moult............lol even though I know it happens I still wondered how I had 2 shrimps :). The cbs now expects a feed when I approach with the turkey baster and isn't content to let the mysis drop out, it now reaches through the small hole and takes it out!

The agression between the gobies is still minimal but keeping an eye on them. The zoas I got from MTG are multiplying nicely and the other zoas are doing well too.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Couple of quick snaps of a few zoas I'm waiting to get mounted onto some rocks. The green I have had for a while the other two I got from Buddy , beautiful specimens.

myzoa1.jpg

myzoa2.jpg

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Minor change, the biggest goby wouldn't leave the other one alone so while doing a water change today I netted it and its now in the main tank. Hopefully the smaller one comes out again like it used to for a feed, looking at getting a bi color blenny soon but can't see them having any issues.

Been thinking of getting a nice bright chalice but the params might not be stable enough, sun coral is on the next to get list and the extra feeds might add too much phos and nitrate for the chalice.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Hi David the colors are pretty much spot on. I use photoshop to resize the pics then adjust levels if needed followed by shadows/highlights as they sometimes need a tweak then finish off with sharpening.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Tx Luke, the bottom bits are a mess on the glass I can't reach that far down :) but I manage to keep the rest not too bad.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
While getting my ro at the lfs today I spotted this little red acan for $40 so I got it. There is a little bit of noticeable die off but it looks old so I figured it would come good again, as a bonus I have two other pale colored corals with green polyps, top left back right on the rock. Not really sure on what they are but my first thought is small leathers though the right hand one looks a little different to most leathers I have seen. Both the acans and the unknowns have opened up, the pic is only about 30 minutes after they were put in. To help it I gave the acan a feed and it seemed to love the mix, the feeders are still out a little in the pic and the polyps are starting to puff out like they should now.

redacan.jpg