Reef Discussion

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Lol coming from an old led preacher, funny all the ppl who preach about led have never owned a t5 (mtg etc) the second they get one they never look back.
thats not true, i used to run dual 150w MH with t5 supplement 4x54w tubes with the halides over a 4x2x2, then i also had a 8 bulb t5 unit , ended up going led to cut down bulb replacement costs and power costs. only have t5 now due to it coming with my tank i have thought about replacing it but then again why replace whats not broken all the different lightings serve a purpose and i never had issues with LED t5 or MH,
MH i found to hot, T5 at the time was replacement costs, LED has awesome shimmer and colour redinition but so does any of the decent t5 units with a good bulb combo. just have to weight up what you want, If i was going SPS only t5 would be my choice. LPS and softys tho wouldnt think twice about LED.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
at the end of the day, no matter what system you use, if you buy quality - you will probably be happy. They each of very good benefits and probably some cons, really the only reason why hybrids exist.
At the time when I was spruiking LED there were a lot of firsts at least for me and the led industry we see today.
At that time before commercial led units existed we were experimenting and trialling the use and feasibility of using led.
Back then we used old t8/t5 frames and installed very crude low watt led. They were indeed very exciting times when the first prototype led units came out. Imagine the satisfaction of seeing an idea come to life and prove that it can work. My motivator was proving LEDs do grow coral...

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
tubes are cheap if you buy at the right time. I did an unusual trip to williamstown the other day (don't normally go there, but was passing by) and picked up 4 80w ATI tubes for $38 a piece ;)
Jesus, Mary and Joseph man!! $38 per tube? I hope they at least took you out to dinner before doing unspeakable acts to you like that!! :D

Like slin, I've run the gamut of lighting from 12 T8 tubes over my 240 to metal halides and some quartz abomination of an outdoor flood that made ritteris jump with joy but would boil water if you got them too damn close. I'm really eager to see what this T5/ LED hybrid brings.

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
Jesus, Mary and Joseph man!! $38 per tube? I hope they at least took you out to dinner before doing unspeakable acts to you like that!! .
that is cheap for a 80W bulb is aus, typically they are $60ish

We get overcharged for everything here.for example we can purchase TUNZE RETAIL from Europe less than we can WHOLESALE locally.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I just paid 69c a L for diesel and M got gas for 68c a L. It's been falling for the better part of a month over here. When I buy at the refinery, I could probably get diesel for 60c a L.

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
My favourite thing is that it's cheaper to buy an Australian made car in the usa than it is in Australia

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I just paid 69c a L for diesel and M got gas for 68c a L. It's been falling for the better part of a month over here. When I buy at the refinery, I could probably get diesel for 60c a L.
out of interest whats the average wage in america?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Just to bring this thread back :) As I'm not upgrading tank I'm still upgrading the lights so my choices are over my 2ft cube, either a 4 bulb hybrid unit or an 8 bulb hybrid unit???
No one makes a 6 lol leds cluster will be singular regardless and around 80w. Would love some opinions!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Just make sure you get something before Reef Stock, otherwise someone will bring out something new and you'll have light envy and end up waiting a year for them to arrive, at which point the next new thing will have been announced :banghead

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Best bang for the buck on an LED system? Typhon or Storm controller. I've run them both and love them both. If you're adept at all things electrical, you could probably make one yourself.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Cerebra tank controller anyone??? LOL
How many years has that been coming now? About 7 hahaha

@ReeferRob I definitely agree with you on the typhoon, I was originally set to get a Steve's led and typhoon controller for an RSM130D but that fell through, I got the cade and sold the led conversion to Sam, who still runs it?? lol

@chimaera I'm going to make sure I don't hold out that long for that to happen :p because I would wait another year only to have it happen again haha I'm set on some ATI lights or the nice new Pac Suns ;)