Tank Journal Archive

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
haha, sorry macca, thats the tank I've downsized too.
Need the anemonie to be sold guys, i dont have the lighting to keep it in tip top shape, or even alive for long.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
with thanks to Buddy i have collated a larger range of tests, not the reasults i was hoping.
Phos- 2.5+ on a hanna checker
mag-1500+
kh-11
ph-8.1
calc-500+
salinity-1.034 on a refractometer, my hydrometer was reading 1.028
copper, iodine and silicate all returned 0 readings

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Bad params. Just remember the corals are already pretty shocked so nothing drastic. Slow and steady (but constant) changes.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
true true, will go out and get a couple of buckets tomorrow i think, ill do so plain water changes to start with and sometime, perhaps next week do about a 10L change with ro to bring the salinity down.
Hopeing to get it under control before i go away on the 5th dec, as the fish will get fed, but thats it

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
You are also going to have to shell out for a couple of accurate testing bits, namely a refractometer, alk and Ca kit (or else how else can you measure the changes and where you are at)?

Phos can probably wait.

Ph is important but should "self adjust" if you get Alk and Ca balanced.

Making changes without measuring is almost as bad as no changes IMO.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Yup the calcium, phosphate and magnesium were out of the range that my hanna and salifert kits could test for. Definately needs some aggressive water changes and I think NSW is the better option. Its cheaper and will slowly bring all the levels back to where they should be. Well now we know why your hammer ejected it self from the skeleton on to the sand! At least the Xenia is loving it haha.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Honestly I would do a 100% water change with NSW. Or just shut the tank down as you seem to be planning anyway ...

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Would that shock the tank too much? There is a fish and a few corals in there.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Stick with no more than 25% changes IMO, but you can do them either daily or every second day. If you shock the corals, you will probably lose most of them. Nothing good ever happens fast.

And they aren't in Toxic conditions, just far less than ideal. There is nothing toxic or deadly, you just need to gets the levels back to where they should be..

Pull 25% out, put about 15% NSW and 10% RO back in.

Check the levels.

Repeat the process every day or every second day. Things will be back to where they should be within a week or 2 at most.

Whatever you do, good luck.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Ok guys, after discussing with the missus, the best course of action is to sell up.
If I can get the right price I will start afresh in 2x2x2.
Looking to keep the lights only off this tank.
Thanks guys

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
well now, im getting a 2x2x2 with sump and ready to go this comming weekend, hopefully it all goes smoothly and works well when i get the chance to set it up