Tank Journal Archive

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
yes, im in the process of breaking up the old led frame and makeing it into a bar to hang them off, hopefully i can get that done this week sometime haha.
I also start building my new cabinet and hood on wednesday.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
added an awesome little green manderin today, he is going great, has realy coloured up nicely and is by far the biggest showoff I've ever seen haha.
Hopeing to get some pics shortly as hes a camera shy guy haha.
Updates on the LED's all going good, has created noticeable growth of the birdsnest and all morphs, has defenatly increased the omph of the colours in my eagle eye zoas (pics to come), im very much likeing the combonation of the colours.
Increase however in slime algea, but decrease of hair algea, good or bad??.
Looking at getting the custom tank built soon so i have the ability to design my hoods internal frame to fit it.
Does anyone know of any corals that like to grow up instead of out??
Cheers

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Well my water change to get rid of algea process, didn't work, infact made it worse, im having a hard time trying to keep ontop of the amount of slime algea growing in my tank

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
im not sure if the rock is leaching phos, and just dumped it back into the system after the change and its created a rapid growth.
The bit that has me worried is that is all slime algea now, not hair algea.
It may also be one of the colours i just added, i will test by blocking out different colours for a few days at a time and see what happens

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Mixed news from the tank, all corals doing amazingly well huge growth, but there is also huge amounts of alge still growing

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
well an update.
things arnt going too well im afraid, with school cracking down, and a new born in the house, tank time is getting hard to find. I've run out of water to top it up with, algea is growing everywhere, the birdsnes frag is bleaching, fish arnt getting fed as much (perhaps a good thing). however the tank isnt looking at all well.
Thaughts of starting again are at the fore front of my mind right now, but we will have to see if i can get time to do anything this week.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
xenia's are going nuts, as is the duncan (I've seen 3 new heads growing), frogspawn and hammer are alive but they are not as full as they used to be. Zoa's are growing and multiplying like crazy, as are the fluffy morphs. The nem, is not as fully extended as it used to be, perhaps why its started moving, it is also closing up and going quite deflated every couple of days.
I really need to get another light for the tank, just to add some omph to the middle section of the tank. Hopefully tomorrow i will be able to get some water, and enough food to last a long while, untill exams finish would be good.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
well decided to give a good clean and rescape now im on holidays (pics to come).
Pulled out about 1kg of green hair algea out and about 5kg of rock, hoping the new scape will make the fish more visable and open, perhaps even make room for a couple of coral catfish or chromis or something thats gonna stay in the open abit more

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Could light duration be a factor in the slime algae? My experience with algae is in fresh water and was a combo of excess nutrients (aka overfeeding :)) and having the lights on too long.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
I only have the stock lights on the tank and its all 4 t5's on or off at once , I manually turn them on at 12 and off at 8pm. I was thinking lately that maybe mine aren't on long enough but everything seems to be going well so not going to mess with it.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
fair enough, mine are on from about 830am to 830-9pm, as im not home all day and no-one wants to turn them on for me, so its either i turn them on or i get a timer

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
I'm still new to marine so not sure how long would be too long really so mine is just what I have been doing. I had looked at timers as well but the last digital I got screwed up in 2 days with the time jumping all over the place and lights going on in the middle of the night so haven't got another, then I read a few horror stories of the old style ones with the pins oveheating and starting fires so I figured I'd do it manually. Lol I think I'm just getting paranoid with age as I never had a problem with the pin types when I used to use them.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
haha, yea, things used to be alot better quality though.
Im thinking of getting a typhoon controller or similar, as i do have diy LED's, so haha, we will see what funds are provided in the future haha

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Did a water change, yesterday, today and another qued up for tomorrow, hopefully about a 100% change, salinity is a little low at 1.022, and I think the lights are playing up, the whites dont seam.as strong as usual.
Hopefully the water change helps as alot of the hard.corals dont look healthy, plate are bleaching

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Your tank is still quite new. Keep doing those regular water changes. Everyone goes thru those algea stages when they first start.

Just keep siphoning it out and do regular water changes.