News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Profile Levels & Staff
Hello everyone,

I would like to share with all of you what user profiles will be like in the near future. But first, I would like you all to welcome @Priscacara and @aussieant32 to The Reefuge Team. They are new staff members in new positions here at The Reefuge.

@Priscacara and @aussieant32 will be here for new users of The Reefuge. They are in charge of welcoming new members and making them feel at home, as well as the go-to people for technical support of our new website. The new website will be laid out simply, but it will have powerful features and users will be able to make the website behave the way they want it to. If users have questions or need live support, these staff members will be there to help.

Now, onto user profiles and how they are going to change. Currently, user profiles are unlimited in everything they can do. With the exception of a few features, most members have a free, unlimited service.

This is going to slightly change. Before I go on, I would like to stress that no member account will be limited to information on The Reefuge. ALL information will still be able to be accessed by the public and ANY profile level alike.

The Reefuge user profiles are going to act more like a game. There will be achievements and features to unlock. The more active you are in the community, the more powerful your user profile becomes. This is to help raise activity within The Reefuge community and to help with running costs. However, we have also catered for the lazy or the people with no time to unlock these features. For those who do not want to wait for features to be unlocked, or have no interest in posting but would like certain features, they will be able to buy them.

This is in a primitive state, and we would like all users to suggest what features should be a default and what features can be worked towards. This is the basic list right now. Prices and actions are not yet absolute, they are simply ideas at the moment.

• Larger Inbox - All accounts will have a 100 message limit on their inbox. Users must make at least 250 posts to gain unlimited access. Alternatively, they can pay a once-off $10 purchase fee.
  • Signature - Users must make at least 200 posts to have a signature. Alternatively, they can pay a once-off $10 purchase fee.
  • Animated Avatar - Users must make at least 500 posts to have an animated avatar. Alternatively, they can pay a once-off $20 purchase fee.
Currently, they are the only features in mind, but we welcome user feedback.

Thanks.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
I've probably got enough posts so it won't effect me much, but limiting signatures is limiting the normal way for people to show links to their TJ. That in turn will likely be a disincentive for newer & busy people to even bother with TJ's.:(

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Good idea... I am lazy but have enough posts to get everything already... Unless you are going to make me work for it!

Maybe access to the state forums and classifieds can be done in this way.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I might of been ? ... What details ?
I just assumed you couldn't see your own ?

Id be interested in how long i was away .... That's how long i went without a water change :(

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
In your profile you can update your details to include your tank journal etc. Then the bar magically appears above all of your posts...

Usaually paying for things like that doesn't go down so well. It's kinda a nuisance.... Why not just have a donation box I mean I'd be happy to pop in a couple of bucks a week and other too I'm sure. I reckon a weekly article on a subject would be awesome like a write up on something Intresting with links and pics and vids. Also a news board for new equipment discoverys and stuff announced :)

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Usaually paying for things like that doesn't go down so well. It's kinda a nuisance....
+1 to that.
More concerning when you start having "paid" features is that when newbies to the forum aren't used to it or need to start looking around to work out why they can't do something that they can do elsewhere without any bother, you start to put them off.[/quote]

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I am not that sure that they will. Alot of forums have post restrictions to get certain things, it isn't some new idea, just a way around waiting and it can help fund a bit of the site. Making people contribute to the site if they want features IMO is a good thing

Thank you :)

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
Paying for features will put potential members off. Donations are a great idea but it usually ends up been the same small pool of committed members shelling out. I believe you need to make it an "access all areas" rewards system based on contributions to the forum. We can limit usability/functionality of certain sections like we do now with the State Groups. Possibly extend this to the Classifieds (view "on", post "off") and maybe even 18+ (post "off",view "off'). That way, we can encourage new people to contribute without restricting access to core information which I believe is the keystone of this forum. The question remains however, how do we continue to ensure that the site maintains financial viability? I must declare my ignorance here, I don't even know who pays to keep this site running.