Reef Discussion

Phil

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
Radion 110v
hi guys im wondering if a couple of 110v units can be run here in aus with just the normal travel adapter thing we get for non australian plugs. Or is there something else i should know before i try.. i dont want to damage them :/

has anyone had any experience with this issue?
cheers in advance, Phil

Phil

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
Thanks a lot :) now to work out which one i need haha .. Something about how many watts or amps it draws
2 radions will mean 2 converters I'm guessing

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Might be better off getting them from Europe if you want to import. Or is there another reason you want to get them from the US?

Phil

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
Might be better off getting them from Europe if you want to import. Or is there another reason you want to get them from the US?
Only real reason is the cost .. 650 each shipped.. I'd rather buy locally buy icant find them for less than 850 each :(

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I thought about doing the same, but they are one of those lights that aren't so easy to use over here. I bought mine second hand instead (from vpreef as it happens!) - love it though, great lights!

Phil

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
I thought about doing the same, but they are one of those lights that aren't so easy to use over here. I bought mine second hand instead (from vpreef as it happens!) - love it though, great lights!
Lucky you :)
It's a shame suppliers have to charge so much here ., I did see on 'another' forum that an online supplier was offering a 10percent discount for forum members a little while ago but not sure if they still give it .

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Phil, just remember that if anything goes wrong with it wty will be a pain in the ass.

Personally id rather pay a little more and get them from here, especially Led light's as there have been reports of failures.

When i bought my 3 i think i was only going to save around $110 if i bought them from O/S. Thats taking into account the shipping and import tax i would have had to pay.

Phil

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
thanks for the input everyone :) i did some research and contacted some sellers and was offered a 10percent off 859 so its all good .. ill make the order tomorrow :) cant wait for these babies now !!

the warranty issues and such wouldve been something id be worried about being electrical and pricey so this way is better i think all round

is one unit enough for a tank thats 48 x 21 x 13 inches approx. im doing a tank upgrade in the next few weeks to a 4x2x2 and was thinking of getting a second one when i do that.. or do i need both for this one now ?

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
depends on what corals your keeping. imo lps you will be fine but sps id grab a second.

Phil

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
i havent kept any corals in this tank yet :/ thats the plan for the new tank though . in this tank the lighting and water flow wasnt ideal .

Phil

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
i think ill grab one radion and an mp40w to get me going then just get the second radion when i do the upgrade

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Lucky you :)
It's a shame suppliers have to charge so much here ., I did see on 'another' forum that an online supplier was offering a 10percent discount for forum members a little while ago but not sure if they still give it .
if you quote your username with Age of Aquariums they will give you 10% off

id say buy here or at least buy one with 220v not worth the hassle and you wont get warranty here if you buy internationally and if need a simple fan replacement, buying overseas your down time will be say 3-10 business days and then the cost will be X amount, and to do it here, postage $20 back the next day and you're back up and running, for the upfront savings...not worth the long term issues

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
also keep in mind what matty said you will only need one for a 2ft cube and if it were me id be using a cheapy t5 unit or halide for now and then wait for the new pro to come out, either to buy it or to score yourself a bargain....its really only like 2-4 months away, sounds like a lot but if you're happy to wait im sure youll have a happier wallet

Phil

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
also keep in mind what matty said you will only need one for a 2ft cube and if it were me i.d be using a cheapy t5 unit or halide for now and then wait for the new pro to come out, either to buy it or to score yourself a bargain....its really only like 2-4 months away, sounds like a lot but if you're happy to wait im sure youll have a happier wallet
you read my mind:) ill wait for the pro .. hopefully therell be some launch promo or something from age of aquariums who to they're credit did offer me a 10percent discount after a price match . they had one in august from the supplier where they were doing a radion with a free hanging kit for 750 for 1 day .. ill have to keep my eye out when the pro hits the market. ill get a mp40w for now which the kids in the tank will benefit from instantly

thanks again for all the input.. oh my wallet says thanks too ...for now !

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Lol I have a 2 ft cube with 3 mp10s you can buy my Radion when the pro comes out because ill be updating lol wanna trade the mp40 for 2 10s