Tank Journal Archive

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
Are the ati units available yet? Can I ask how much it is?
They should be avaialable in the next week or so, re pricing I pre-ordered in October so was cheaper but TBH i cant remember what I paid for it, I went with a 4bulb 4ft fixture

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
Really? "Just" sand fillers?
Even they have some awesome colours.
That chalice is soooo nice it makes me drool!

Nice tank
The main focus on this tank is SPS and exotic fish, the zoos and LPS and even clams are just finishing touches for overall aesthetics

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
I find it funny that in aquariums SPS and zoas have such different parameters. Most places I have dived you will find some zoas (although not the best coloured ones) around the bases of many an acro.
Still..... love the tank! One day I will get there

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
They should be avaialable in the next week or so, re pricing I pre-ordered in October so was cheaper but TBH i cant remember what I paid for it, I went with a 4bulb 4ft fixture
Cool no worries :)

I assume 4 foot is the smallest? Do you expect it will light up the full width and length of your tank? Or is that the idea to keep it further away from the waters surface to reduce heat etc? On a 120x60 do you think the 4 foot model would be to much for it?

Sorry for all the questions.

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
They come from 2 ft to 5 ft, you should google it you might find some interesting info on them from the manufacturer and reviews from people who have actually seen them.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
If t5 didn't need to be replaced often and didn't have the heating effect and power consumption it would be awesome

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
If t5 didn't need to be replaced often and didn't have the heating effect and power consumption it would be awesome
T5 is awesome cause it heats my water so heaters don't go on so much... It never ceases to amaze me ppl forget we need to HEAT our tanks more than we need to cool them in the southern states.

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
So to put in perspective chiller comes on 10-15 days per year but heaters are on 200+ days per year, does it not make sense on finding more efficient ways of heating thru by product than cooling? It just simple mathematics and logic, I don't know why ppl use the heat of a light as a reason for an overly expensive light unit, I think this argue net for Using led should be dismissed in southern states.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
So to put in perspective chiller comes on 10-15 days per year but heaters are on 200+ days per year, does it not make sense on finding more efficient ways of heating thru by product than cooling? It just simple mathematics and logic, I don't know why ppl use the heat of a light as a reason for an overly expensive light unit, I think this argue net for Using led should be dismissed in southern states.
Actually never thought of I like that..

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Could not agree more, my 4 tube t5 unit on my frag tank keeps the heaters from hardly coming on.

On my 8 footer the heaters are constantly pumping due to the Leds, thats 600w of heaters pumping most days + 800w of Leds :(.

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
Actually never thought of I like that..
I know right ppl are caught up in the heating hype, I guess they need to justify a big ticket purchase.

Also re the bulb replacement cost - my tank is similar size to the great and infamous reef in the sky, his is a bit longer mine a bit shorter, he require 2 x eco lamps kr93sp on his tank which is a cost of over $5000, my unit was under $2000 and with bulb changes of $100-200 per year it going to take best case 15 years repayment on the unit for bulb exchange... You think anyone is going to keep the same unit for 15 years?

Also these 2lights equate to 640w against 440w of the ati hybrid....

So basically what I am saying is buy the light that you like/want don't try to justify it with nonsense like heat, power etc cause it is just that nonsense.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Well for my tank LED Seems like the best solution but I guess come my 4ft if I ever get my own place I will take the ATI LED into consideration I guess I didn't give it much or a chance to justify an excuse to get the mitras or Radion lol but yeah good reading that was..thanks :) I hear t5s are quite up there growth-wise too so a lot of pros than cons

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
Well for my tank LED Seems like the best solution but I guess come my 4ft if I ever get my own place I will take the ATI LED into consideration I guess I didn't give it much or a chance to justify an excuse to get the mitras or Radion lol but yeah good reading that was..thanks :) I hear t5s are quite up there growth-wise too so a lot of pros than cons
T5 are proven for the best growth as they carry more par and spectrum than led and mh alike at this current led tech. In 3 years led or something else will overtake no doubt

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Lmao fair enough...I think that's the one part of me that I haven't changed I'm into the pretty colors lmao

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
They come from 2 ft to 5 ft, you should google it you might find some interesting info on them from the manufacturer and reviews from people who have actually seen them.
Plan to just have to wait till the weekend so I can use the laptop lol instead of the phone. I looked up a few threads and a vid so ill check it out.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Back to the heating out of lights comment.

Isn't heat from a light unit just a waste of energy. Sure some of it heats the tank, but Watt for Watt a heater is more efficient at heating a tank.

For what it's worth my 2 x MH can raise the temp of my tank up to 2 degrees during the day - makes it kind of hard to maintain temp with a chiller (and if I had one it would be running constantly battling the lights).

But you are right about the payback costs of top end LED units today - it takes a long time for them to become cheaper and a better investment.