Tank Journal Archive

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Feb 3, 2013

What's going on here? I've never seen this before.
2013-02-03 (1).JPG

Hitchhikers:
2013-02-03 (2).JPG
2013-02-03 (3).JPG

...and more shots in situ.
2013-02-03 (5).JPG
2013-02-03 (6).JPG
2013-02-03 (7).JPG
2013-02-03 (8).JPG
2013-02-03 (9).JPG
2013-02-03 (10).JPG

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
First pic - looks like they are expelling waste, or 'pooping'. I've never been sure if this is a bad thing or a warning sign ...

The 'majano' does look like a small rock anemone as the doc said.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
First pic - looks like they are expelling waste, or 'pooping'. I've never been sure if this is a bad thing or a warning sign ...

The 'majano' does look like a small rock anemone as the doc said.
Yes I'm of similar thinking. I had target fed them the day before & I had just adjusted the return, resulting in bubbles everywhere about an hour before so it's hard to say. You hit the nail on the head though, "is it good or bad".:reading

I'm taking the Doc's decision on the critters too. He's clearly very well versed. Have you seen his work on mudskippers? (I love mudskippers) It's really ground breaking.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Yes I'm of similar thinking. I had target fed them the day before & I had just adjusted the return, resulting in bubbles everywhere about an hour before so it's hard to say. You hit the nail on the head though, "is it good or bad".:reading

I'm taking the Doc's decision on the critters too. He's clearly very well versed. Have you seen his work on mudskippers? (I love mudskippers) It's really ground breaking.
Hah yep, if we still had Tank of the Quarter/Month/Year I would be nominating that ;)

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Having a real issue with microbubbles in tank. The return pump is sucking just the occasional bit of air, enough to piss me off.:banghead I'm definately going to have to decommission the sump and reduce the baffle height between the first and second chambers.

Actually I'm considering buying (saving for) this skimmer. It's a self contained external hang on model, if I do I can remove the first baffle altogether. The other skimmer I'm looking at is this one.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Feb 5 2013
Sorry about crappy photos. Taken with phone as I can't find the camera charger.

@chimaera - This is our little cochlear coral and it's worm carting it around, it was just introduced into the DT after living in Donna's tank for a while. There'll be a "discussion" about whose tank it stays in. I'm offering 10-1 odds that I lose that discussion.

You can see the trail left as it moves through the substrate. It covered this distance in about 10 minutes. Excuse the diatoms, I'm doing a vacuum water change this weekend.
2013-02-05 Cochler.JPG

Duncan I bought from @Miller, immediately before & after target feeding each polyp. After they reopened they looked even better.:D The reason they look lifeless before feeding is that all water circulation had been off for 15 minutes prior to feeding.
2013-02-05 (2).JPG

2013-02-05 Duncans after target feeding..JPG

Hammer after target feeding.
2013-02-05 Hammer after target feeding.JPG

More tank shots on the phone.:rolleyes
2013-02-05 (1).JPG

2013-02-05 (3).JPG

2013-02-05 (4).JPG

NOTE: My rockscape looks a little different at the moment as I've got extra live rock in there seeding my tank. Since introducing I can watch the flea circus (amphipods) every day. They are hilarious to watch. I swear they look like they're playing "chasie". Probably the sexual kind.:cool:

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Introduction: My intro is best read in my first post but since I never really supplied all these details, I thought I might do them now that the tanks is running. As much for myself as anything. To understand why some things are done the way they are, you need to read my first post in this journal.​
Reefing Since: 2008​
System Objectives: Primary objective is to be able to sit back with a cuppa and enjoy an interesting & attractive system. Interesting to me means a diverse biosystem & interesting textures, movement, colour & behaviour.​
Type of reef: Mixed Reef.​
Display System:
Initial Fill Date: 10/1/2013 (Sump 4 weeks earlier).​
Display Tank Dimensions: 4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft Bay Tank.​
Display Lighting: Generic 6 x 39w T5 & Fishbowl Innovations Moonlight System.​
Stand: 2 Door pine Bay Front.​
Hood or Rimless: Hood.​
Sump Design: 2ft 3 stage - (intake, filter sock &DSB) (refugium) (outlet).​
Filtration: Filter sock, live rock, dsb, refugium containing rock rubble, Dragon Tongue algae, Chaeto (american spaghetti algae), Caulerpa brachypus algae & an unidentified red macro algae. Also experimenting with sponges in DT. A small hitchhiker hairy crab cleans up larger particles in the refugium.​
Support systems:
NSW or ASW: NSW locally collected.​
Display Water circulation: 3500lph return/s & 2 x 3000lph cheapo Koralia copies. About 12x flow.​
Return Pump: 3900lph SunSun​
Skimmer:
Evaporation Top Up: Manual - treated river water.​
Chemical additions:
Calcium Addition: Calcium Up​
Alkilinity Addition:This tank has always sat at about 12dkh without additives.
Magnesium Addition:
Prodibiotics Addition:
Coral Food Addition: 100% Reef Safe amino acids, Reefroids, fine mince of marinara mix, mysis shrimp & brine shrimp. Fed every 3 - 5 days.
Livestock
Introduced Clean Up Crew: 2x Black Nerite snails, 3x Turbo Snails, 2x Brittlestars, 3x Bristleworms, multiple Stomatella (paper snails).
WANTED: Mini Sea Hares, Mysis Shrimp, Tropical Abalone.​
Hitchhikers: Bristleworms, fan worms, amphipods. Also a hairy crab banished to the sump.​
Fish: Nil
Coralloids: Assorted mushrooms - bright red, purple, toxic green, various zoanthids & palythoa.​
**Note these details are kept updated & current. Last edit 14/2/13.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Feb 5 2013
Sorry about crappy photos. Taken with phone as I can't find the camera charger.

@chimaera - This is our little cochlear coral and it's worm carting it around, it was just introduced into the DT after living in Donna's tank for a while. There'll be a "discussion" about whose tank it stays in. I'm offering 10-1 odds that I lose that discussion.

You can see the trail left as it moves through the substrate. It covered this distance in about 10 minutes. Excuse the diatoms, I'm doing a vacuum water change this weekend.
View attachment 11694
That is so cool. Love it.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Both those skimmers look good to me, I haven't heard of the hob one but the rlss name sounds familiar so must have read about them on one of the forums. Wouldn't have been anything negative as I would have taken note :).

I like the coral shots, I don't target feed my ones just the euphyllia, lobos, bubble, fungia and acans the rest get some that floats away though but must not get enough to close up. Will have to try it next wc which is when mine get their feeds.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Everyone's raving about the RLSS over on the other forum. I operate on a really tight budget so I'm looking at bang for buck & the so called serious skimmers are not only beyond my reach, but frankly given that they are blow moulded plastic with a pump, I think they're a ripoff! I understand research costs, return on investment, capital earning & economy of scale but even so......I mean some of those things are thousands.

I'm not a fan of external skimmers, too risky for me, but I like the way that hang on is encased in it's own mini tank. That would give me the ability to modify my sump and grow my various macros in different compartments.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Thats probably where I have seen them mentioned too, no pun intended I skim the equipment forums as I don't know enough about things most talk about as I just have the stock that came with the tank. If its a good month I might have $200 "spare" to get anything marine related, couple of books to read or an album off itunes but manage to keep everything chugging along with the marines and the cat fed and healthy which are the most important to me.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
I just sold 1 lot (ebay for $20 including express post) to partly recover what I paid out getting it over and sent a big lump off to @chimaera. Actually right this minute he's probably going to have some for harvest before me as I only kept a small lump to regrow.

In response to your question, I "think" there was one other that asked for some so you could be next after that. I'll have to check my TJ. Might have to start a thread for people to put their names down. I'm not sure how Peter's going to share his out, maybe at the get togethers. Not sure but the aim is to make it more readily available withing the reefuge community so that prices are kept down if people are selling it.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Mine has only been in the tank for a week but seems to be doing okay. I'll definitely share a few bags out for Reefuge members when it's grown some more.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Guys I don't want this to clutter up my TJ too much as I can see it will be popular. I've created a new thread here.

@Ethan123 please go to that thread. I've taken the liberty of putting your name down and copying your last post there.

cc: @chimaera @ethana123

Kim Deglaitis

Jul 21, 2012
Werribee
Use a sheet of paper instead of the rubber band. If the sheet of paper has a straight edge, wrap it around the pipe and line up the edges of the paper. Guaranteed straight edge!
guys when you have a reef tank it seems we are constantly plumbing things up with PVC believe me to make your life really easy go to an electrical store and buy a conduit cutter they are about 30 dollars but believe me the stress they eliminate in cutting PVC is well worth every cent and every cut is perfectly straight.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
guys when you have a reef tank it seems we are constantly plumbing things up with PVC believe me to make your life really easy go to an electrical store and buy a conduit cutter they are about 30 dollars but believe me the stress they eliminate in cutting PVC is well worth every cent and every cut is perfectly straight.
I am a plumber and have about 10 options to cut pipe. For some reason I always end up with a hacksaw though...

:welcome by the way!