Tank Journal Archive

Miller

Dec 4, 2012
traralgon
hey hows the leather piece i gave you? mines recovered fast since i cut the chunk off
tanks looking great keep up the good work :)

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Thanks Brendan. @Miller

In Donna's tank, under the MH it was showing good polyp extension & has increased in size by a few mm I think. I've now moved into my tank which has far lower nutrients (cleaner) & 6x39w T5 lighting. It hasn't shown polyp extension since I moved it but it's been less than a week so it's probably still adapting to the new conditions.

I love the colour of the polyps. Thanks for dropping that in. I've just started fragging some stuff so as it progresses I'll let you know. How's your tank planning coming along? Going to start a new TJ for it?

Miller

Dec 4, 2012
traralgon
yeh i thought u would like the colors of the polyps on it as soon as i grabbed it i thought i should cut this up hahaha

im still running the old tank u seen as i had some major problems with the 4x2x2 i bought second hand (has a few giant chips in the joins) so i dont trust it to hold water so back to my original plan of 4x2 1/2x2 getting built as we speak should be ready by next week so i can drill the holes and get things started already
frags did y say :D haha keep me in the loop buddy :)

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
That nem I got off you @Miller - I had to break the rock it was in as I just couldn't make it work in my scape. Since then it has just kept moving and has this week, finally settled of all places in the sand bed at the side of the tank under a rock. But it gets a lot of light from the MH light on the next tank so all good.

Shit I just realised how long since I've done an update. I'll take some pics this weekend.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
I'm having a bit of trouble with moisture inside my cabinet/stand & I want to install one, or maybe two, extraction fans. Does anyone have any thoughts on this - detailed thoughts I mean. I'm thinking that I could install PC fans but then I have to do wiring, get a power supply that's safe in a corrosive environment etc.

If I install a 240v fan from say Bunnings will it be too loud and again it's a corrosive environment. Any input please?

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
If I remember right the pc fans from computers can do a good job as well but never tried anything as mine is all open at the back.

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
WARNING
I got away with this by the skin of my teeth but please learn from my mistake. When deciding where to put your holes, do it with not only all your bulkhead bits on, but if you are installing more than one valve (tap) put that in place too! If you are only using one ball valve you can probably disregard this.

You can see in the pictures below, that once I started to mock up my plumbing there almost wasn't enough room for the taps to turn without hitting each other when closed.
ai1075.photobucket.com_albums_w433_ijg3956_Aquaria_Ians_20DT_plumbing2_zpsdd67e642.jpg
ai1075.photobucket.com_albums_w433_ijg3956_Aquaria_Ians_20DT_plumbing1_zpscc4de0ec.jpg

I got way with it mainly because one outlet is 32mm while the other is 25mm so they are offset a bit, in other words one pipe sits further out than the others.

Now normally these taps will be open with the full siphon partially closed BUT if you are fitting taps/valves to the other lines and then can't close them, you've just wasted a lot of money and effort on them. So double check your spacing allowing for all plumbing.

Please like this if you found it useful, so I know I'm not waiting my time.:)
**************************************************************************​
Note: Any areas shown in this colour are links that can be clicked on for more detailed info.
Fantastic information and a great idea to share that tool you buy and never use again.. :)

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Wow it's been a while. Amazing how time gets away.

Today I took delivery of a package from Guppy's. A skimmer, a weir comb, some Chemiclean & a Salifert Test Kit. What a bloody drama.:mad:

I don't use Guppys a lot as their communication on orders is terrible in my experience, although he'll quickly jump on the forums to try to sell you something. Also his delivery costs are just too high. I paid $40 to have it couriered to my house by Fastway as that's the only way he delivers. The parcel did NOT get delivered to me, it was sent by ePost & dumped at a post office in a town 12 km away. Keep in mind that I live right next to the post office in my town and I paid for courier so there's just no logic to it. Andries from Guppys said it's my problem.

As some of you know, I'm mobility impaired and my car has been off the road for some time plus I wrote off my wife's car a few days ago when a kangaroo jumped onto my bonnet - literally, while I was doing 80kph (in a 100kph zone). So getting the package from the next town proved costly and very troublesome. It seems to me that Guppy's don't give a shit once they've got your order, although I'm sure others have had better experiences. I will avoid them in future.

The skimmer is a Marine Sources SDP-750 rated for 750 litres. My system is about 350 litres including sump so it gives me some breathing room and fits into my 60cm sump. As I speak it's running in a diluted vinegar bath in the kitchen sink & even there it's getting some skimmate. I got the skimmer for $195 delivered and I quite like the look of it. I'm afraid I can't see how they justify the thousands they charge for some skimmers, they are after all a motor and bit's of acrylic, nothing more.

The weir comb I got because I'm having a small problem with macro getting back into the display. The Chemiclean was recommended to me to help with a mild cynobacteria outbreak in my tank and a more serious red slime outbreak in Donna's tank. I had ordered some Revive also but despite it showing as in stock on the Guppys website, they could not supply it.:(

MS_SDP-750_skimmer.jpgMS_PVC_Comb.jpgchemi-clean-group.jpg
I also have an order on the way from Age of Aquariums & I use them a lot. They are a touch deatrer for product but the $7.00 flat delivery fee more than makes up for it and when cost of delivery is calculated, they're generally cheaper than Guppys and I always get great service and great communication from them. From them I've ordered 2 x cheapish 300w heaters. One as a redundancy unit in my DT weir and one for pre-warming my NSW before water changes. Also an API nitrate test kit and a heater guard.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Guppys screwed me to. The guy is an absolute joke and pretty much just a lowlife C**T of a person!
Glad to see you actually got your stuff in the end and didn't end up losing your money like I did.
AoA will usually price match, they are good like that :)
Hopefully you get that cyano under control!

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Right... guppies of my bookmarked list... good feedback mate, sorry you had such trouble and hope it goes well from here.. good luck with the car too.

ethana123

Nov 30, 2012
gladstone
I've heard lots of bad stories about guppys but he seems to be the first person to say that they're service is great and criticize other sites

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
You have certainly had a hard time of it getting your gear , hope your ok after hitting the roo and it ws just the car that was damaged!

I have only had 1 purchase from Guppies and it made it ok but when I can I get things from Ben at AoA. Very happy to talk to you about gear on the phone to make sure your getting the right thing required and can't beat the $7 delivery fee.

Looks like a nice neat skimmer and by the sounds it is going to work great in the tank!

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Skimmer is still of course breaking in but very happy with how it seems to be going and it is producing a wet skim already, without any adjustment. At this stage the skimmer outlet is flowing back into the skimmer chamber & that's inefficient so next week I'll plumb it to take the clean output straight into the refugium.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Hope everything is all ok after the roo incident. I had on jump into the rear back quarter panel of my ute, with a cab on. The force was enought to push me off the road sideways!
I too have had issues with guppies. FOUR MONTHS to get reef foundations ABC and a wave maker!! All of which were in stock at the time!!

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
I'm good thanks. Assessor was here yesterday & the car will almost certainly be a write off. Bit of a nuisance but nobody was hurt (except the roo :eek ) and we are insured.

Obviously people who sent me private messages about Guppys don't want to be made public but I can say that I've now had more than a dozen private messages from two forums and it is sadly a common theme, to varying degrees. I prefer to use AOA but they don't stock the brand of skimmer I wanted.

At least here at the Reefuge we don't get censored for having these discussions. Elsewhere my very carefully worded post was removed but obviously, not before a number of people saw it.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
Two of the lights in my 6x39w T5 fitting stopped working. I've put into the local electronics repair store but they are having all sorts of problems finding replacement baton fittings. In the meantime I've taken the 150w MH clamp-on from Donna's tank and put it on mine plus transferred her corals over.

So I may be looking for a new light, preferably not too costly. So if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. They will have to fit inside my tank hood & I will fit some heat extraction fans to the hood at the same time.