Tank Journal Archive

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Very nice looking tank mate. Love the ember blenny, I got one just last week as well. Mine is a little different though, alot more red in the face and dorsal, but on yours the fins are clamped so cant really see it all that well.

Love the hammers as well buddy!
Thanks mate :)
Mine changes body colours all the time. He goes from jet black to pale white, must be their moods.
He is only just starting to get some red along his dorsal fin and around his tail. I've had him for a few months now and he hasn't grown 1mm ;)

Looking Great!. Also like the hammers and the blenny. Yeah I think he is actually for camera. looks like a character.
Thanks mate :)
He always watches us when we walk past. I would never have another tank without one. Such big personality for such a small fish.

Hammers are great, just need a couple of gold and yellows to finish off the collection. They add movement and colour to any tank.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Haha, perhaps someday when I'm not working. Turns out the job at QUT turned into a full-time gig. I'm doing like 14-15 hours a day!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Where did you source the sand from? I need to buy some more. I have CaribSea Tahitian Moon but would like more black.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Haha, perhaps someday when I'm not working. Turns out the job at QUT turned into a full-time gig. I'm doing like 14-15 hours a day!
That's good news for you. Good work man. We'll have another cook up!

Where did you source the sand from? I need to buy some more. I have CaribSea Tahitian Moon but would like more black.
Hey Megan, the black gravel came from Aqua Blue in Brisbane. I think anywhere that you can normally get Carib Sea from. Even try Ben @ AOA, he has really good postage $7.50 I think :)

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Hi everyone.

Tank is going great guns, recently mixed up 2 x 20L of Cal and Alk for my dosing pumps.
That was a workout mixing them :D

I noticed a fan that was intermittently spinning on my ATI Powermodul so I investigated.
The fan was full of cat hair and did not work after a good clean.
After a search on eBay, I found a replacement in Poland :cool:
So I bought 8 as a backup.

ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_DSC_0020_1.jpg

Original on left, replacement on right.
ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_DSC_0021_1.jpg

Original on right, replacement on left.

It is the replacement fan. The third wire is a blue one and is used to measure spinning rates.
It is cut off the ATI's also.

2 minutes of unscrewing and fan is replaced :)

Now I have spares to play with.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
So not much has been happening with the tank.
It has been really hard trying to get hold of Clear Oceans for another water delivery. Been waiting over 1 month now!.

There was a horrid smell coming from my skimmer so I knew it was time to do what I don't enjoy doing at all.
Cleaning the skimmer head and cup :eek

I normally never let it get this full because of the smell. That's what I get for being lazy.

ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_CSC_0208.jpg

Here is the cup almost full next to a wine bottle for size reference.
Notice the head is clean? See how thin the middle part is - compared to all the gunk in the first pic!
ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_CSC_0209.jpg

I have had the skimmer for almost 2 years now and it continues to pull this amount of skim out consistently.

The smell was horrible and it left the whole house smelling. Luckily no-one was home ;)

All cleaned and ready to go another few months before I have to do this horrible task again.
ai990.photobucket.com_albums_af21_Lutjanus_82_CSC_0211.jpg

Normally I just drain the cup every couple of days so it doesn't collect and thicken like this :rolleyes

I will happily recommend RE skimmers to anybody looking for a high performance skimmer.

Attachments

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
He sent me half of one yesterday, at least I think it was that... hard to tell, iPhone pics aren't much chop :P nice to see the Swabbie doing its job!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Great looking tank and set up, you clearly know what you are doing! I look forward to the new FTS this weekend as promised ... (no pressure).

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Hi everyone.
Life has been crazy for the past 2 weeks.

I ended up moving house !

Relocated the tank with the help of 2 friends and have it going in the new house with just water, a heater and the return pump.

The new house is almost twice as big as the old place and I have put the tank at the entrance way of the house. Of course the tiles weren't level :) after spending some time getting everything done and ready I went about designing a new sump.

The old sump measured 3ft x 15in x 18in high with a running height of approx 9in.

The new one measures 2.5ft x 2ft x 18in high with a running height of approx 9in also. The better use of space will allow me to place the 20lt dosing containers of Alk and Cal behind the tank.

I like to be prepared for tank moves and setting up along with the issues of space for removal and maintenance of pumps/skimmers/heaters in the future.

The first issue I had was modifying the stand to suit the new sump. It fits inside, but I had to adjust the legs on the front so the middle support was offset to allow the 700mm sump to slide in.

This was easy to do. I added 2 more horizontal supports and two more vertical supports to strengthen the open side of the stand. I also offset the rear leg in the other direction to balance the load. The stand is very strong and I am happy with how it turned out - simple and effective.

Along with the dramas associated with house moves, the energy company stuffed up so we had no power from Friday until Tuesday afternoon :(

Luckily I had a plan to hold the fish and rock at my parents place during the move.

I had 1000L of NSW ready to go after finding a new supplier. The last supplier was hopeless and left 3 unanswered emails and request ls for water over the past 3 months. No thanks. I'll go somewhere else :) you just lost yourself a long time customer.

I ended up donating all my corals to a friend that has helped me heaps in the past and they are sitting in his second system all doing very well.

Plans for this tank at the moment - Fish only while everything stabilizes.

I will be getting smaller lights to put over the tank, yes they will be T5's as I have over 20 new bulbs left over.

Hopefully we stay at this new place for a while. I think we will.

This morning I checked the temp and it read 21 degrees. Slowly heating and should be done by the time I get home.

Can't wait to pick up the rock and get the fish into their new home :)

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Great looking tank and set up, you clearly know what you are doing! I look forward to the new FTS this weekend as promised ... (no pressure).
Thanks
I just copy what I have seen others do :)

I didn't get a chance to take any photos recently. I probably should have before I took the tank down for the move.