Reef Discussion

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Skimmers
Hi I am thinking of getting a new skimmer to see if that helps with my nitrate problem, what do you recommend that is not 2 pricey please

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
I have a fish street coral box. I think its a D500. The D700 would not have fit in my sump. The coral box skimmers are pretty big so just be careful to make sure whatever you buy will fit where you want to put it. I am very happy with mine and i am sure it was the turning point for me in beating my algae problem. There are a couple of things that annoy me. The skimmer cup fits very tight and is a bit difficult to remove particularly in the cramped space in my sump. Generally the skimmer is more difficult to clean than my old skimmer. Also my old skimmer was much less affected by changes in water height in the sump. If you have an ATO that shouldn't be an issue. I don't have an ATO so i either have to adjust the skimmer or the top up the water a lot to keep it skimming the way i want. My old skimmer had a stanpipe outlet that meant it was not affected much by water height changes. Anyway i still love the coral box. It skims like mad and i would recommend it.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
From advanced Aquarist, its a very long article.
Conclusions
Many factors contribute to the "value" of a skimmer to an aquarist, including quality of construction, size, footprint, noise level, ease of cleaning, energy efficiency of the pump, and of course, the ability to remove organic waste from aquarium water. Our data show that there are not compelling or remarkably large differences in measurable skimmer TOC removal metrics among the seven skimmers tested, although the Reef Octopus 150 consistently underperformed compared to the other skimmers. However, in the larger picture, it is equally apparent that if an aquarist runs a skimmer continuously (24/7), then any of the skimmers tested would perform adequately in terms of rate of TOC removal; the only practical differences might involve the frequency of skimmer cup cleaning. A perhaps more interesting observation to emerge from these skimmer studies involves not the rate of TOC removal, but rather the amount of TOC removed. None of the skimmers tested removed more than 35% of the extant TOC, leading to the conclusion that bubbles are really not a very effective medium for organic nutrient removal.

I really cannot defend my statement below however based on what I read :
If a skimmer only removes up to 20~35% of TOC from your aquarium getting a better skimmer only marginally improves the overall result which in fact may not have a measurable change, even if you end up changing the skimmer cup more frequently..... Could there be better places to spend our money.. ?

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I disagree.
I belive the skimmer is the most important filtration item you will buy. If your skimmer that allows you to remove 5/10% more DOC than a cheeper model that could be the difference between struggling with parameters or not.
In saying that just because a skimmer is more expensive doesn't mean its any better.
The better the skimmer and a good amount of live rock is a proven method of reducing nitrates & p04.
Therefore reducing the amount of WCs .
With a average skimmer you may need to do a 15 -20% WC to obtain good water quality. With a great skimmer you might get a way with a 5% WC weekly.
Just my experience and opinion.
Now to answer your question Susan i would wait and save up for a deltec 1355 @ $450-$500.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
i'll add my 2c .. coral box dc300 is what i use now and I had the dc500 before that. great cost/performace skimmer.
thanks coral box seems to be popular, is a 300 big enough for a heavily stocked 400lt? and can you get them in Australia?

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
for a 400ltr i'd go the dc700, all depends on the real estate you have in the sump .. a 300 no way in hell would i put that on a 400ltr, I have it on a 150ltr! my last tank was circa 300 and I had the dc500 ..

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
I highly recommend going for a skimmer rated at least double what your system volume is. Here's the new skimmer I ordered for my 400 litre system. :cum
Foam_Fractionator014.jpg

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
for a 400ltr i'd go the dc700, all depends on the real estate you have in the sump .. a 300 no way in hell would i put that on a 400ltr, I have it on a 150ltr! my last tank was circa 300 and I had the dc500 ..
not enough room in the sump by the looks of it