Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Starting a New Nano
Well I guess it was only a matter of time, but I've decided to double my nano tank to give my corals and fish some more room.
I'm getting a 60 x 40 x 30 tank built and will use the existing mechanics from the Yasha. The skimmer and return pump will be more than enough to run the new tank.
I'll be building a custom LED setup for the new tank (with thanks for advice from MagicJ).
I'm getting a black acrylic panel cut to match the style of the Yasha, so it will virtually look like a 60cm wide Yasha.
I have a couple of subjects that I would like some suggestions/advice on.
1. The current return pump is a great performer but a pain in the arse to position properly. If it's placed in a normal straight position (as the manufacturer probably thinks it should be) it sucks too much water out of it's compartment and blows heaps of air into the tank, it has to be tilted right down as in the photo below to stop this happening, which in turn gives poor current flow through the tank.
If the pump is laid on it's side it seems to be OK, but there isn't enough sideways space to do so.
So I would like to come up with a better return setup. I was thinking of a pump sitting in the bottom of the compartment with piping going through the (black) wall and returning the water through two flexible outlets. Thoughts??
2. With the water volume being doubled should the venting on the (black) wall be increased and by what percentage?
I'm also going to redesign the compartments in the back so as to give me a seperate area to easily access my purigen and biopearls (and anything else that will benefit the tank) rather than have then jammed under the return pump.
I'll post some drawings next for people to pick apart.

I'll keep posting more as things develop (plus more questions)

pump.jpg

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
BTW the Yasha isn't going to die. I'm going to turn it into a frag tank or maybe something small and special, but it will live on.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
gonna look good if it ends up like the yasha

I was thinking of a pump sitting in the bottom of the compartment with piping going through the (black) wall and returning the water through two flexible outlets. Thoughts??

This is exactly what I am currently setting up with my new tank. Have drilled a hole through the back section with a "bulkhead" kinda setup which I made from random hose parts from bunnings. This has a barbed fitting coming off the back. Then going to just have a standard return pump sitting at the bottom of the section with flexi hose up to a T-piece with one connection going to rowaphos reactor and the other going through a tap then returned to the bulkhead. Then the tap can be adjusted so I can regulate the flow through the reactor. Just have to work out how big I need the pump

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
gonna look good if it ends up like the yasha

This is exactly what I am currently setting up with my new tank. Have drilled a hole through the back section with a "bulkhead" kinda setup which I made from random hose parts from bunnings. This has a barbed fitting coming off the back. Then going to just have a standard return pump sitting at the bottom of the section with flexi hose up to a T-piece with one connection going to rowaphos reactor and the other going through a tap then returned to the bulkhead. Then the tap can be adjusted so I can regulate the flow through the reactor. Just have to work out how big I need the pump
Got any pics of what you've done so far - it sounds exactly like what I had in mind.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
This how I intend to setup the back of the new tank.
Dividers A and B are the same as in the original tank (except they are 25mm apart so like A and C).
I’ll just be moving them further apart to give me a new area in between.
C is a proposed new divider I was thinking of putting in to create a bubble trap (I currently have some filter wool in that area which works well as a bubble trap).
What I need is some suggestions as to what to put into the X area. I was thinking of putting in the bags of biopearls, phosguard and purigen (which are currently jammed under the return pump) Now making them easy to access.
Hopefully the Nanoprop 5000 will work OK in a vertical position so I can plumb as shown.
The vents are going to be increased to allow more flow, hopefully this will allow a better water level in the return pump area.
I would certainly appreciate any advice on this build.

drawing.jpg

V

'vspec'

I'm not familiar with the yashi's, so the first question is, would you change anything in its design? Or are you happy with layout and happy to replicate it in the new build.

Using your pump like that, and routing it into your twin return tubing, how much flow do you lose?
I was under the impression these nano5000's are like stick on wave generators, which at most, you add extension tips to focus output.

Like any pump that is sucking the compartment clean, a plumb back off the feed is the logical choice, followed by actual sump design.
You could get all technical with trying to work out starvation values with algebra, but seriously, its easier to just give yourself some more vents.
They are quite deep though, how does the system handle detritus?

If this was mine, (in your free section) I would just build strong egg create stand legs creating a table top,so your holding cage for your chosen media sits on top.
Makes it easy to grab in one "cell" as it were, whilst still allowing free flow through the media and unimpeded to the RP section.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I think the Yasha design is fine and works well, that's what gave me the idea to duplicate it.
I will make a bigger flow through the intake vents to help the RP section.
The flow from the pump will be fine because it's only on its lowest setting now and has plenty more power left. I'm testing that now with some piping I've made up. The plastic "basket" in the free section sounds good, easy to maintain.
I'll have some filter material in place before the RP section to handle the detritus, I have some there in the current setup and it handles any crap coming through.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Will have some pics soon - the tank should be built by the end of this week then I'll be getting the acrylic divider laser cut.
I've started the wiring for the arduino control (thanks to MagicJ). Just waiting now for parts to arrive. The LEDs, controllers and heatsink should be well on their way. Just about to build the box to put all the controls into so that it's all neat and tidy.
Have to do some adjustments to the stand I'll be using to take the extra weight. I found some great tubing to make the bracket to hang the new lights from - I'll put that together next.
All good - all fun.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I hope it works :rolleyes

Not sure if it is just me but everytime I look at the photo of the new tank I get this strange optical illusion - it looks like the right side of the tank has all different funny angles :confused:
Isn't it weird, I saw it too, it freaked me out.

V

'vspec'

so is this the acrylic bonded to glass trick?

Expand on the switch gear dude, nice fancy box that powers the lights one would assume, but you want to go more in depth with its config?