Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I'll certainly start posting some pics as soon as some more stuff arrives to connect.
At the moment all I have is a work table of bits and pieces in experimental phase waiting for the major components.
I want one of those clocks!!!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I am still waiting :p
Dave seems to have gone a bit quiet on this one :p

'vspec' - the Arduino only outputs a 5v PWM however the Meanwell drivers require a 10v voltage to operate the dimming circuit. The circuit which Dave has shown above is simple transistor switching circuit - hook up a seperate 10v source to the collector side of the transistor and, as if by magic, you have a 10v PWM control voltage coming out the other side - there are a couple of pull-up resistors added in just to make it look nice.

Any questions, ask Dave.

V

'vspec'

Fair enough, as if by magic you say.. :)
. Thanks Dave:confused:

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Dave seems to have gone a bit quiet on this one :p

'vspec' - the Arduino only outputs a 5v PWM however the Meanwell drivers require a 10v voltage to operate the dimming circuit. The circuit which Dave has shown above is simple transistor switching circuit - hook up a seperate 10v source to the collector side of the transistor and, as if by magic, you have a 10v PWM control voltage coming out the other side - there are a couple of pull-up resistors added in just to make it look nice.

Any questions, ask Dave.
Thanks Magic, you can explain it better than me.
One question - did you put a fuse between each LED string and their contoller? I thought I saw a diagram on a website that showed fuses.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I'm now looking for a different return pump, the Yasha one didn't work as I wanted with the new plumbing.
I guess I'm looking at something around the 1000lpm (the new tank is 70 L).
Any suggestions of a quality (quiet) pump that will do the job?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks Magic, you can explain it better than me.
One question - did you put a fuse between each LED string and their contoller? I thought I saw a diagram on a website that showed fuses.
Not required when you are only using series strings, like you are. If one of the led's burns out for whatever reason, the whole string will not operate and thus there will be no damage to the remaining led's or the driver.

Parallel strings are a different animal and I would recommend a fuse if you were going down this track, which you are not ;)

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Thought I'd better put some pics up to show some progress.​
Found some really neat tubing at Bunnings for the lights support.​
pic-1.jpg
Should have the black acrylic divider here on monday.​
I built a drawer in the cabinet I'm using for all the controls. It will an LCD screen and control button in the black panel on the front.​
pic-2.jpg
The draw has all the plugs for all the controls.The powerboard on the left will have the plug-ins for the skimmer, return pump, circulation pump, heater - all easily switched on/off. The powerboard on the right has the switchable power for the white & blue drivers, the arduino and the circuit board.​
The timer is for the UV Purple driver. The black box is the circuit board with the arduino and RTC next to it.​
Just behind the the left hand side powerboard is the plug-in for the lights and fan.​
There is still a lot of wiring to do - the LEDs and drivers should be here next week, so I'll post more pics then.​
pic-3.jpg
This is so much more interesting than just opening a box and plugging it in :)​

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
LEDs, drivers and heatsink arrived this morning from RapidLED. I'll get some more progress shots up tomorrow. It's all coming together nicely.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Okay . . Okay!
I've wired up the lights. They still need a little tidying up but all connected up fine.
I've hung the heat sink (nice hanging kit they sell) Not quite sure about the height above the water yet, I'll see how it all looks when it's turned on. Currently it's 200mm. May go to 2 fans yet, although the heatsink is quite big and shouldn't require too much cooling.
lights-1.jpg

lights-2.jpg

The control box has only a couple of things to go in and the wiring finished. Then hand it over to my programmer (son). Ended up nice and tidy.
control-1.jpg

So now I'm waiting on the guys who are cutting the acrylic back panel, they did it once and screwed up the measurements - so they're doing it again. (Doh)
I've sorted out my return pump situation. Plenty of adjustable flow.
pump.jpg

Getting there - As soon as I get the acrylic back panel I can put all the hardware in and fill the tank. I'll take the rocks from the Yasha and try for a decent aquascape. Hopefully up and running by next weekend.

V

'vspec'

getting there dude, looking good.

Q: Do you plan on putting a cover plate on your LED panel?
Looking at your pump barb, will it blow off the elbow piece?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Thanks.
The heatsink came with a 3mm clear acrylic panel that slides in to protect the LEDs.
No the elbow won't come off, it's got a plastic washer inside that as tight as a nun's. I've tested it at full blast and it's fine.
Good to keep me on my toes though ;)