Tank Journal Archive

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Well I think my red goni isn't going to make it. The membrane is about 2/3 of what it was and is barely extending now.
It's a shame the blenny decided to use it as a perch :( .
It was coming back really well until then. You never know I've had corals worse than that come back.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Hving a bit of a battle with Dictyota algae at the moment. I've been able remove some during vaccuuming but there is still a bit to get rid of.
May have to take each effected rock out and scrub them.
Anyone have an effective solution to this algae?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
There's plenty of info out there on it and your right it is hard to get rid of.
Apparently it's not bad water conditions that cause it, it thrives in excellent water.
Not much around that eats it.
I'm going to do a rock by rock scrubbing.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Thought I'd post a FTS - everything in the tank was looking really good this morning. :)
I picked up a couple of great coloured acan pieces and a mixed clump of zoas just to fill in a few spaces I had.
My Xenia managed to move from a rock onto the back wall of the tank and started to spread rapidly. It makes it really easy to keep it under control now. I just used a blade to get two clumps off without hurting it and attached them to a rock in the other tank.
I'm now running two nano 900 pumps that I alternate between to mix up the water circulation. It seems to be keeping the tank a lot cleaner and the corals seem to enjoy the change of movement.
The tank looks so much better since I got rid of the dictyota from the rocks, so far nothing has come back. :stop
FTS-6-5-13.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Thought I'd post a FTS - everything in the tank was looking really good this morning. :)
I picked up a couple of great coloured acan pieces and a mixed clump of zoas just to fill in a few spaces I had.
My Xenia managed to move from a rock onto the back wall of the tank and started to spread rapidly. It makes it really easy to keep it under control now. I just used a blade to get two clumps off without hurting it and attached them to a rock in the other tank.
I'm now running two nano 900 pumps that I alternate between to mix up the water circulation. It seems to be keeping the tank a lot cleaner and the corals seem to enjoy the change of movement.
The tank looks so much better since I got rid of the dictyota from the rocks, so far nothing has come back. :stop
View attachment 14515
Looks great. I don't see the goni in there ... assuming it didn't make it after all :(

Xenia attached to the back wall is cool!

Also how did you get rid of that algae in the end? Sounds like something worth documenting!

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
The red goni is still hanging on. It's down to about a third of what it was and is just extending and feeding. I put it in the other tank for a couple of weeks to give it a bit of peace and quiet. It's back in the main tank, just off to the side out of the way where the blenny doesn't sit. Fingers crossed the little patch that's left may just make it.

I posted how I got rid of the algae in another thread here somewhere. The short story is I took the effected rocks out and hit them with a pressure washer using salt water. They were only out of the tank for less than a minute each and put straight back in. I monitored the the tank very carefully and there was no spike what so ever.
I'm lucky I'm able to remove the corals from my rocks without any trouble. The algae was all over the rocks with the nice coraline on the left, it didn't effect the coraline at all.
Simple process but very effective.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
View attachment 14515
nice looking nano bud :D

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Here's a pic of my red goni hanging for dear life :(
View attachment 14550
Yikes, doesn't look too great. But hopefully if you keep that bit happy it will grow back in time. Still feeding reef roids?

Mine is looking much better finally, though still only extended 0.5-1cm whereas for that first week I had it, was extending 3-4cm. Hopefully it will get there.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Yikes, doesn't look too great. But hopefully if you keep that bit happy it will grow back in time. Still feeding reef roids?

Mine is looking much better finally, though still only extended 0.5-1cm whereas for that first week I had it, was extending 3-4cm. Hopefully it will get there.
Yep, feeding it every day. It didn't even look that good a couple of weeks ago. It's had a bit of a come-back again.
I wish it would take notes from my green goni (in the centre) it's gotten a lot bigger since I've had it.
Glad to hear yours is making some improvement. It's really satifying when you you can get them healthy again. :)