Tank Journal Archive

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Stocking Brainstorm..
As everyone here knows...I love to stock lol sometimes considered overstocking but I think they're purely allegations :p

I now finally will have a tank that will be large enough to house my 2 favourite types of fish...tangs and angels.

I'll also be looking to add:

*2-4 Borbonius Anthias
*Maybe some Wrasse's
*Some schooling fish like some Clowns
*3 Tangs
*2-4 Dwarf Angels

I just want a nice active tank lots of fish but I would like them all to be comfortable nothing that will outgrow the tank.

In terms of corals ill probably stay mostly LPS and Softies but I would like to get a few pastel SPS in there like some dallas and other species with the same type of single tone color

I really would love to have a cross between @NiCd s tank and @thepubenator s tank

MultiBarAngel.jpg

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
something a bit different and just throwing it out there have you thought about a school of orchid dottybacks? They normally dont school but but Ben breeds them and it seems when they are tank raised they school together quiet happily. He has about 300 in a tank and whilst that number looks over the top its all pretty cool

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
ive always been told that the dottybacks are really aggressive...is that the same with grammas because I was thinking of maybe adding some blackcap grammas

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
you forgot to mention what size tank and budget
this is a subthread to my TJ the tank is an Elos System 120 XL (120x80x50)

budget...depends really im happy to spend a bit of money on fish I feel are worth the price, the Borbs I feel are well worth the money and a few Dwarf angels and tangs I feel are worth the money except a few but that is just my personal opinion, like a conspic angel id pay money for and same with the colini but the jocular or the gem im not sure id spend that money on them, love the fish but personally couldn't justify that price.
id spend money on gladiator clowns or Picasso a-grades but they'd need to be juvie for me to justify it....something tells me im asking too much lol

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Dottybacks are aggressive with the exception of the orchid, grammas are only aggressive towards other grammas you when you mix them in together. Pairs of grammas seem ok, they are all bark no bite

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Dottybacks are aggressive with the exception of the orchid, grammas are only aggressive towards other grammas you when you mix them in together. Pairs of grammas seem ok, they are all bark no bite
So a school of orchids should be safe?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
only place ive seen it done is in bens set ups, i was planning n trying it myself is my grammas ever pass on

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
What other types of schooling fish are there that are unique..i don't think anything really beats a school of tangs or clowns

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
t, like a conspic angel i.d pay money for and same with the colini but the jocular or the gem im not sure i.d spend that money on them, love the fish but personally couldn't justify that price.
thanks for dissing my fish list :p
FWIW the last conspics here went for over $5k (although when exported and retailed OS sell for $2.5K :banghead) and they gonna eat all your LPS anyways. How about a Bandit angel, stunning fish, pics of them dont do them justice, they have this shine to them which is unreal

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
thanks for dissing my fish list :p
FWIW the last conspics here went for over $5k (although when exported and retailed OS sell for $2.5K :banghead) and they gonna eat all your LPS anyways. How about a Bandit angel, stunning fish, pics of them dont do them justice, they have this shine to them which is unreal
lol as I was typing it I was like damn this sounds rude...but im not saying they don't look nice your tank is something I would dream for and wish I could achieve, I love the fish im just saying how my mind works in justifying what id spend money...the borbs IMO are way under priced lol I know they're still expensive but they're so much nicer than most expensive fish

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
No website, he is a somebody who supplies wholesalers who then supplies fish shops, not sure if it still stands but I believe he is the only person who has tackled breeding them?

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
No website, he is a somebody who supplies wholesalers who then supplies fish shops, not sure if it still stands but I believe he is the only person who has tackled breeding them?
Saltydog from MASA used to breed them also about 5 years back