Tank Journal Archive

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
I reckon a pair of Pygmy wrasse would be a nice addition man. Something really different which most people don't know about or have and are easy to keep. :)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I reckon a pair of Pygmy wrasse would be a nice addition man. Something really different which most people don't know about or have and are easy to keep. :)
are these reef safe? im wanting to keep some shrimp like cleaners and harlequins so i dont want anything that gets hungry

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
yeah i dont mind them, they fall in colourful category and i want a tank full of a lot of colour...but im not sure what my final list is yet.

any thoughts on the angels above?

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Yeah..they're got heaps of colour on them.

With the angels..from my own opinion..I'd prefer the gold flake or multi bar..they look better..but angels and corals is always a gamble..but I like the look of matured gold flake best.

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
I want a blackcap gramma one day!
I love my true Royal Gramma, of the fish I have owned in the last 15 years it is certainly my favorite, very striking and good temperament... Though not the cheapest fish for its size..

ai1294.photobucket.com_albums_b607_joele77_basslet_zps68ad08b8.jpg

Last edited:

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I love my true Royal Gramma, of the fish I have owned in the last 15 years it is certainly my favorite, very striking and good temperament... Though not the cheapest fish for its size..
do these do well in pairs? i was contemplating black cap grammas...did you find yours was aggressive to any of your other inhabitants?

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
do these do well in pairs? i was contemplating black cap grammas...did you find yours was aggressive to any of your other inhabitants?
I am not sure about pairs to be honest I have just one, it stays out in the open a fair bit but likes to be near caves so it can hide if needed, but generally stays out in open water the vast majority of the time...

I have it in with peppermint shrimp, lawnmower blenny, coral beauty and a small percula clown and none of them show any aggression other than the coral beauty who used to get annoyed at the lawnmower when he picked on algae, but that has settled down, I would say the Royal Gramma is the most timid of the lot (well other than the shrimp) but no one picks on it, just tends to be more shy than the others..

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Dr Schell has kept gramma's in pairs from memory. In fact I think he's bred them.

Cosby

May 14, 2013
If you want some colour, perhaps a Lineatus wrasse is up your alley. I added one a week or so ago( for my missus), and it's a beautiful fish to watch glide around.

gerkin.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
My royal gramma is very good in the tank..keeping them in pairs is fine from what I heard well only if they're female and male of course. Mine.,I'm not sure whether its a male or female thus I haven't yet gotten it a partner.. It's a rock dweller mine most of the time..besides when I turn feed mode on and feed than he eats like a pig. But you see th fella poking its head out through the rock work watching you.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I am not sure about pairs to be honest I have just one, it stays out in the open a fair bit but likes to be near caves so it can hide if needed, but generally stays out in open water the vast majority of the time...

I have it in with peppermint shrimp, lawnmower blenny, coral beauty and a small percula clown and none of them show any aggression other than the coral beauty who used to get annoyed at the lawnmower when he picked on algae, but that has settled down, I would say the Royal Gramma is the most timid of the lot (well other than the shrimp) but no one picks on it, just tends to be more shy than the others..
thanks for that info its on my mind :)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
My royal gramma is very good in the tank..keeping them in pairs is fine from what I heard well only if they're female and male of course. Mine.,I'm not sure whether its a male or female thus I haven't yet gotten it a partner.. It's a rock dweller mine most of the time..besides when I turn feed mode on and feed than he eats like a pig. But you see th fella poking its head out through the rock work watching you.
yeah id buy it in a pair if i bought i wanna keep most of the fish i get in pairs to keep everything happy

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone

ai1294.photobucket.com_albums_b607_joele77_basslet_zps68ad08b8.jpg
I like the colors of these fish but they always look, to me, like they are SERIOUSLY pissed about something LOL

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
Hi there Leo,

just went through this thread and just thought of throwing some suggestions your way :)
hope it helps

in terms of schooling fish, athias are usually more of a shoaling species (as you stated) ive heard dispars and lyretails are the closest you'll get to schooling. but having 4 borbs will limit numbers of anthias in the tank. bangaiis are supposedly good schooling fish if there are 5 or more. those would be my suggestions for schooling fish anyway. otherwise you can go blue/green chromis.

with tangs, you've got room. so use it ;) always loved the look of powder blue tangs, but thats just me. achilles tangs are awesome (if you dont mind the price tag). sohal tangs are nice but can be quite aggressive. you can probably have 2-3 tangs in your tank, but this will depend on what other fish you will have in the tank. also, to ease aggression between tangs, choose tangs with different body shapes. for example, if it were me, I'd buy a powder blue tang and have a purple tang or yellow tang in the tank with it.

with angelfish, there is always a risk with nipping. flame angels and coral beauties are your best bet. look up flameback angels, cherub angels and potters angels! beautiful dwarf species of angel!! I'm not sure if this is right (feel free to correct me if im wrong) but japanese swallowtail angels aren't as bad as other angels in terms of nipping. they're a larger dwarf species though.

and in your tank, i reckon a massive anemone with heaps of clowns and domino damsels would look awesome! they would all swim around the anemone! saw this while helmet diving in the Philippines. was soooo cool! only down side is that domino damsels are nasty as fuck haha

anyways, thats just my 2c :) hope some of it helped at least haha

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
only down side is that domino damsels are nasty as fuck haha
Yep, I've seen those in a tank with sharks. Had them before and they are a PITA to have with any other fish. But, have to agree with Daniel - they are a great schooling fish and are always active in your tank.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Yep, I've seen those in a tank with sharks. Had them before and they are a PITA to have with any other fish. But, have to agree with Daniel - they are a great schooling fish and are always active in your tank.
Yep, damsels of any type are extremely aggressive - and that includes clown fish. Clowns look great in their nem but don't forget that while they look interesting to us darting about the nem, they are actually guarding it and will drive off any other inhabitants (including your hand) if they come near. And they have sharp little teeth that can damage the fins of slower fish.
Probably the least aggressive of the schooling damsel species are the Blue-Green Chromis - they will work out a pecking order between themselves and bully each other, however - but that is their nature so if it bothers you, either ignore it because they'll work it out or just don't get them.
I agree about the Tangs - either just have the one or have two of vastly different appearance - they are aggressive to other members of their species because they eat algae/weed and will guard their "patch", regardless of how much food is actually available for them all.