Tank Journal Archive

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
jeez how much reading leo :D i like the idea of multiple cleaners they always add a nice amount of activity to the tank.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
If you want some colour, perhaps a Lineatus wrasse is up your alley. I added one a week or so ago( for my missus), and it's a beautiful fish to watch glide around.

View attachment 18664
Every time I see this shot I initially think the tang is the tail of the wrasse and go "OMGWOW" ... then I realise it's not and change that to "WOW".

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Every time I see this shot I initially think the tang is the tail of the wrasse and go "OMGWOW" ... then I realise it's not and change that to "WOW".
Like a real-life version of Cat-Dog, called Wrasse-tang.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
oh im just getting into sticks haha. actually got a really nice frag of a green polyped birds nest. its even better cos i got it for free. look, to be completely honest, growing "some" sps isn't that difficult. i did it for crying out loud haha. but i do stress the word "some". lot more care and maintanence required if going all out sps. but in your tank, fuck if it looks like the one in the picture, i reckon a mixed reef would look sick!!!
dont get me wrong i will strive to aim for steady quality parameters and with that i will attempt the easier to keep SPS that is bright trying to keep everything happy. i cant wait for this tank to come although i have a lot to learn/plan before it arrives lol

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
. this is why i have chosen not to add mandarins to my list which i absolutely love the colour and are really cheap but i know they can be a pain to get to eat
actually, Mandys have the rep of being difficult to feed simply because they were all wild caught and had to adjust themselves to eating the food we supply rather than the copepods they lived on in the wild. Their survival came down to the sturdiness of the individual fish and the determination of the keeper. Hence the "finnicky eaters" tag.
The good news is:
Mandys are bred in captivity now and raised on artificial foods from the start so are used to the aquarium environment (noise, movement outside, etc) and the foods supplied. This means they are far easier to keep than their wild-caught ancestors and live much longer. While the down side is that captive-bred Mandys are a bit more expensive to buy and a bit harder to source but this is far outweighed, I feel, by the fact that the fish is almost guaranteed to thrive and the fact that wild stocks aren't being depleted and dying unnecessarily.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
actually, Mandys have the rep of being difficult to feed simply because they were all wild caught and had to adjust themselves to eating the food we supply rather than the copepods they lived on in the wild. Their survival came down to the sturdiness of the individual fish and the determination of the keeper. Hence the "finnicky eaters" tag.
The good news is:
Mandys are bred in captivity now and raised on artificial foods from the start so are used to the aquarium environment (noise, movement outside, etc) and the foods supplied. This means they are far easier to keep than their wild-caught ancestors and live much longer. While the down side is that captive-bred Mandys are a bit more expensive to buy and a bit harder to source but this is far outweighed, I feel, by the fact that the fish is almost guaranteed to thrive and the fact that wild stocks aren't being depleted and dying unnecessarily.
they would still be considered slow eaters though wouldnt they?

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
they would still be considered slow eaters though wouldnt they?
yes, you're right, they wouldn't compete against the fast moving shoal fish and tangs. If you kept a supply of copepods - and I'm guessing your tank will be big enough to maintain a large population - the Mandys would look after themselves, I would imagine, and simply eat the flake/flesh food offered to supplement their own hunting efforts.
When I bought my 4' tank, it had two tangs in it and a Mandy, as well as some clowns and a rabbit fish. The bigger, faster fish gobbled the food but the Mandy just cruised about, minding her own biz, eating copepods and artificial food as she saw fit.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
yes, you're right, they wouldn't compete against the fast moving shoal fish and tangs. If you kept a supply of copepods - and I'm guessing your tank will be big enough to maintain a large population - the Mandys would look after themselves, I would imagine, and simply eat the flake/flesh food offered to supplement their own hunting efforts.
When I bought my 4' tank, it had two tangs in it and a Mandy, as well as some clowns and a rabbit fish. The bigger, faster fish gobbled the food but the Mandy just cruised about, minding her own biz, eating copepods and artificial food as she saw fit.
yeah i think for that reason is one i am probably not going to add them to my list although i wont rule them out for any future directions.