Tank Journal Archive

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Hi there Leo,

just went through this thread and just thought of throwing some suggestions your way :)
hope it helps

in terms of schooling fish, athias are usually more of a shoaling species (as you stated) ive heard dispars and lyretails are the closest you'll get to schooling. but having 4 borbs will limit numbers of anthias in the tank. bangaiis are supposedly good schooling fish if there are 5 or more. those would be my suggestions for schooling fish anyway. otherwise you can go blue/green chromis.

with tangs, you've got room. so use it ;) always loved the look of powder blue tangs, but thats just me. achilles tangs are awesome (if you dont mind the price tag). sohal tangs are nice but can be quite aggressive. you can probably have 2-3 tangs in your tank, but this will depend on what other fish you will have in the tank. also, to ease aggression between tangs, choose tangs with different body shapes. for example, if it were me, I'd buy a powder blue tang and have a purple tang or yellow tang in the tank with it.

with angelfish, there is always a risk with nipping. flame angels and coral beauties are your best bet. look up flameback angels, cherub angels and potters angels! beautiful dwarf species of angel!! I'm not sure if this is right (feel free to correct me if im wrong) but japanese swallowtail angels aren't as bad as other angels in terms of nipping. they're a larger dwarf species though.

and in your tank, i reckon a massive anemone with heaps of clowns and domino damsels would look awesome! they would all swim around the anemone! saw this while helmet diving in the Philippines. was soooo cool! only down side is that domino damsels are nasty as fuck haha

anyways, thats just my 2c :) hope some of it helped at least haha
thanks so much for taking the time to put your thoughts in :)

i was thinking the exact same thing about the Borbs....the other thing i could do is go 2 borbs and 4-5 dispars as the ones i previously had were one of my favourite fish to watch they were just beautiful.

i quite like the look of the powder brown and powder blue and of course the achillies but i just feel i should be a bit cautious with adding any of those as i hear that family are all prone to ICH as all tangs are but them more so than the others. @NiCd has 3 yellow tangs roaming aroun his tank and tbh it looks amazing, i was thinking a little the same as you were just mentioning about mixing up the families of the tangs with throwing in one of these white tail bristletooth tangs i love the red in it or the tomini tang...something about both these fish really catch my eye but i would still want the 3 yellows with either of thse or one yellow and one each of these..what are your thoughts?

TominiTang.jpg
WhiteTailBristletoothTang.jpg

with angelfish i used to love flame angels until i realised there was potters and colini and golden lol and then theres interruptus i really dont mind the looks of the cherub angel i really wanna get all unique colors going, the flame to me is nice but i feel a little like its cliche, whichever angel i go for i would again like to keep in pairs so i could go for something like a cherub or rusty, the potters and most the others that i really love look like they will prove to be fairly fussy and the last thing i want is to sorta have something so difficult to keep, as much as i love the traits about the difficult fish i also would like to enjoy this tank as much as possible without the need to closely care for a specific fish in there (that may have come out wrong lol but you know what i mean?) a pair of potters would be cool but again most stories ive heard of people keeping them in the same experience level as myself (not advanced) havent had the greatest of luck
Japanese swallowtail angels may not nip but they certainly dont look like an angel to me lol they're like an overgrown chromis or damsel :P

a massive anemone with heaps of clowns now thats something ive seen, well a small one with like 20 clowns in it and i have to say it was probably one of the best sights ive seen it was amazing! thats on the cards depending on the rest of the stocking list.

id love to know your thoughts on the tangs ive chosen and the combination im thinking of, and if for instance i go the tang fleet as ive mentioned, would you think i should then cross off a larger angel off my list and just go dwarves to prevent aggression?

again thanks heaps for taking the time :)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Yep, I've seen those in a tank with sharks. Had them before and they are a PITA to have with any other fish. But, have to agree with Daniel - they are a great schooling fish and are always active in your tank.
yeah damsels look so cool but they are the Vinnie Jones of the fish tank world lol

VinnieDamsel.jpg

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Yep, damsels of any type are extremely aggressive - and that includes clown fish. Clowns look great in their nem but don't forget that while they look interesting to us darting about the nem, they are actually guarding it and will drive off any other inhabitants (including your hand) if they come near. And they have sharp little teeth that can damage the fins of slower fish.
Probably the least aggressive of the schooling damsel species are the Blue-Green Chromis - they will work out a pecking order between themselves and bully each other, however - but that is their nature so if it bothers you, either ignore it because they'll work it out or just don't get them.
I agree about the Tangs - either just have the one or have two of vastly different appearance - they are aggressive to other members of their species because they eat algae/weed and will guard their "patch", regardless of how much food is actually available for them all.
did you say how much food is actually available for all of them?

i_got_this.jpg

lol one day i think ill win an award for the amount i feed or maybe even get locked up for i lol

if i have tangs of different species i will have 2 seaweed clips on either end of the tank but if its the same species i will probably just let them graze and give the occasional seaweed clip.

i have read mixed things about the chromis i have too read they will get a pecking order between themselves although i heard they enforce it once they are comfortable in the tank and realise there is no threat from any other tank mates. but having said that ive seen a lot of people have a school of chromis for longer than a year or 2.

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
thanks so much for taking the time to put your thoughts in :)

i was thinking the exact same thing about the Borbs....the other thing i could do is go 2 borbs and 4-5 dispars as the ones i previously had were one of my favourite fish to watch they were just beautiful.

i quite like the look of the powder brown and powder blue and of course the achillies but i just feel i should be a bit cautious with adding any of those as i hear that family are all prone to ICH as all tangs are but them more so than the others. @NiCd has 3 yellow tangs roaming aroun his tank and tbh it looks amazing, i was thinking a little the same as you were just mentioning about mixing up the families of the tangs with throwing in one of these white tail bristletooth tangs i love the red in it or the tomini tang...something about both these fish really catch my eye but i would still want the 3 yellows with either of thse or one yellow and one each of these..what are your thoughts?

View attachment 18701 View attachment 18702

with angelfish i used to love flame angels until i realised there was potters and colini and golden lol and then theres interruptus i really dont mind the looks of the cherub angel i really wanna get all unique colors going, the flame to me is nice but i feel a little like its cliche, whichever angel i go for i would again like to keep in pairs so i could go for something like a cherub or rusty, the potters and most the others that i really love look like they will prove to be fairly fussy and the last thing i want is to sorta have something so difficult to keep, as much as i love the traits about the difficult fish i also would like to enjoy this tank as much as possible without the need to closely care for a specific fish in there (that may have come out wrong lol but you know what i mean?) a pair of potters would be cool but again most stories ive heard of people keeping them in the same experience level as myself (not advanced) havent had the greatest of luck
Japanese swallowtail angels may not nip but they certainly dont look like an angel to me lol they're like an overgrown chromis or damsel :p

a massive anemone with heaps of clowns now thats something ive seen, well a small one with like 20 clowns in it and i have to say it was probably one of the best sights ive seen it was amazing! thats on the cards depending on the rest of the stocking list.

i.d love to know your thoughts on the tangs ive chosen and the combination im thinking of, and if for instance i go the tang fleet as ive mentioned, would you think i should then cross off a larger angel off my list and just go dwarves to prevent aggression?

again thanks heaps for taking the time :)
i think the white tail bristletooth is a beautiful fish :) all tangs are susceptible to ICH (more so the larger species) a trio of yellow tangs would look awesome!! maybe even a trio of purple tangs! but thats only if you have a cool $700-$800 lying around :P mix that up with either a bristletooth or a yellow eye kole tang and you'd be laughing :)

giant anemone with clowns is definitely something to think about. carpet anemones are probably the way to go as they get BIG.

in terms of the angels, potters are a lot harder to care for because its a bit more difficult to get them eating. flamebacks are pretty cool! you could possibly get a pair of those, but they're quite expensive as they are very rare. Also, another thing to mention is that when purchasing it, be sure to check if it's a true african species. some places wont sell you true african flamebacks and still have the massive pricetag

Cosby

May 14, 2013
hmm yeah the only issue i might face is my tank is rimless and braceless and i dont really want to put a cover over my tank as i might take away the look..one thing im starting to think about whilst reading through these threads...amazing fish though...hmm
Yes, it's a major risk. I have a cade as well.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i think the white tail bristletooth is a beautiful fish :) all tangs are susceptible to ICH (more so the larger species) a trio of yellow tangs would look awesome!! maybe even a trio of purple tangs! but thats only if you have a cool $700-$800 lying around :p mix that up with either a bristletooth or a yellow eye kole tang and you'd be laughing :)

giant anemone with clowns is definitely something to think about. carpet anemones are probably the way to go as they get BIG.

in terms of the angels, potters are a lot harder to care for because its a bit more difficult to get them eating. flamebacks are pretty cool! you could possibly get a pair of those, but they're quite expensive as they are very rare. Also, another thing to mention is that when purchasing it, be sure to check if it's a true african species. some places wont sell you true african flamebacks and still have the massive pricetag
tbh purples dont really do it for me unless they're small, i wish there were white tangs without the rareness and price tag cos they absolutely beautiful.

so you think 3 yellows with an extra tang say the kole or white bristletooth wouldnt have an issue together?

flamebacks im not really a fan of :/ i havent been able to see their beauty as others see lol.

hmm yeah either a carpet or maybe a magnifica like the one @thepubenator has in his tank, that things beautiful

Cosby

May 14, 2013
does it hint or test your heart rate from time to time or is it generally fine?
Touch wood, it's not been very flighty in my tank. He's been very cool and calm. He finds a nice place in the rocks to hide should he feel alarmed at my hand entering the tank.

I have seen him at his best though, when getting it from the LFS. Quick is an understatement. It was darting from end to end of the tank like a multicoloured rocket.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
did you say how much food is actually available for all of them?

By "actually available" i meant the difference between what you provide and what the fish thinks is available. I wasn't suggesting you might starve your fish, only that the fish will not understand that there is plenty for all. ....because they're...y'know....fish...;)
In the wild, the algae and weed grows at a certain speed and can sustain only a certain number of creatures. This is why Tangs guard their patch from other creatures that eat the same food - to ensure their own food supply and thus ultimate survival. So regardless of whether you supply a kings smorgasbord buffet every day or a rabbits diet lunch, the tangs will still behave as they would in a wild setting.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
By "actually available" i meant the difference between what you provide and what the fish thinks is available. I wasn't suggesting you might starve your fish, only that the fish will not understand that there is plenty for all. ....because they're...y'know....fish...;)
In the wild, the algae and weed grows at a certain speed and can sustain only a certain number of creatures. This is why Tangs guard their patch from other creatures that eat the same food - to ensure their own food supply and thus ultimate survival. So regardless of whether you supply a kings smorgasbord buffet every day or a rabbits diet lunch, the tangs will still behave as they would in a wild setting.
lol yeh was only trying to be funny i wasnt thinking you were suggesting anything lol i just have 3 track records...producing more algae than anyone alive lol, over feeding, and over stocking :)

interesting i didn't know that about tangs, i mean i used to see my yellow tang fight off anything that came near its seaweed clip but thought that was just because he was like "wait till im done hombre"

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
So far my options are narrowed a little:

Schooling/Shoaling Fish:
Clowns, Dispars, Flame Cardials or Blue/Green Chromis

Tangs:
Yellow Tang x 3 and possibly a bristletooth or kole

Angel(s):
Pair of Multicolor Angels (Dwarf) or Flagfin Angel or Pair of Flame Angels (Dwarf) or Rock Beauty Angel or Gold Flake angel

Other Fish:
2-4 Borbonius Anthias
Pair of Black Cap Basslets
Pair of Helfrichi Firefish
Pair of Pygmy Wrasses or Pair of Lineatus Wrasses

While this list will change a bit this is what id like to achieve. for inverts i would like the following

3-5 Cleaner Shrimp
Pair of Harlequin Shrimp

it looks like a bit of a pricey fish list, i know this but this is the dream tank i am trying to achieve, i may not but id like to aim toward it. all fish purchased will be juvenile and i will aim to QT all before entering the tank, if a fish or pair is unavailable or unavailable as juvenile, i may change the list again.

i a also making this list based on the species i have seen/heard of i know there are so many that i dont even know of hence i havent considered so if you guys have any suggestions, im not going for the most expensive fish im going for those with exotic colours whilst being less aggressive and require less work so to speak, this is why i have chosen not to add mandarins to my list which i absolutely love the colour and are really cheap but i know they can be a pain to get to eat resulting in plenty of uneaten food.

again open to suggestions, list isnt final, would love your comments good or bad its all positive to me :)

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
tbh purples dont really do it for me unless they're small, i wish there were white tangs without the rareness and price tag cos they absolutely beautiful.

so you think 3 yellows with an extra tang say the kole or white bristletooth wouldnt have an issue together?

flamebacks im not really a fan of :/ i havent been able to see their beauty as others see lol.

hmm yeah either a carpet or maybe a magnifica like the one @thepubenator has in his tank, that things beautiful
I have a s.gigantea

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
depends on itssize, when it totes expands the base is brown but when it is slightly retracted (thanks to the clowns) its totes blue.

the difference is about $2000

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013

they shouldnt have an issue together. but if you were to go 4 tangs, that would obviously limit your other stock. but hey, you're into overstocking so go for your life :) i reckon it would look hella sweet!!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
they shouldnt have an issue together. but if you were to go 4 tangs, that would obviously limit your other stock. but hey, you're into overstocking so go for your life :) i reckon it would look hella sweet!!
lol yeah its probably inevitable :P

i wanted to try throw some sticks in there but thinking a nice LPS tank with nice fish like @parrdog 's tank would look schmick

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
oh im just getting into sticks haha. actually got a really nice frag of a green polyped birds nest. its even better cos i got it for free. look, to be completely honest, growing "some" sps isn't that difficult. i did it for crying out loud haha. but i do stress the word "some". lot more care and maintanence required if going all out sps. but in your tank, fuck if it looks like the one in the picture, i reckon a mixed reef would look sick!!!