Tank Journal Archive

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
i have an ammonia spike out of no where, things didn't seem right, temp fine, salinity fine, ammonia 1.0 Faaaaarrrrrkkkkk

i hope my tank mates are going to be ok, no losses yet, but is the damage done?
i havent been home for 2 days so i dont know how long things have been this bad.

Im thinking its the change to live worms that have thrown things out, its the only change, and two new fish.

im so pissed :rage and sad :cry

when we move i was going to put in a seneye, its only two weeks away!!! FFFAAAAAARRRRKKKK!:(

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
If you have had no losses yet and can get to the tank to do a water change then no damage has been done. I've been testing some products lately and a few products work well. In case of mini-cycles AmQuel Plus is good to have in the cupboard. Even better is a bottle of Dr Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria (has an expiry date). Both can be purchased online.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
What Agent M said, you can quickly dilute ammonia to non toxic levels, done it MANY times. It sounds to me like something died in the tank. Check for something dead, black spots in the live rock to indicate that a worm or a clam of some sort died.

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
What Agent M said, you can quickly dilute ammonia to non toxic levels, done it MANY times. It sounds to me like something died in the tank. Check for something dead, black spots in the live rock to indicate that a worm or a clam of some sort died.
@Agent M @ReeferRob

I Immediatley used all nsw I had to do a water change, approx 120L, this Immediatley purked the fish up, they all ate 30min after water change, very little feeding though atm till I see what's going to happen.

All creatures are accounted for atm in the tank, I have had fish die in the tank in the past and it has never been an issue with ammonia.

I am going to get another load of Nsw today and do another 140L water change tonight.

I'm hoping it's not a mini cycle but we will see, Ive never had to deal with one before.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Don't limit feeding for the fish - maybe target feed them a bit more so food isn't going to waste.

I get ammonia in my QT tank from uneaten food going into the filter - I have to rinse out the sponges 1-2 times a week to prevent it while I'm in the first stages of getting the fish to eat prepared foods. I would give all equipment a check over and a rinse out if needed, get a powerhead in your hand and blast out the rocks, see if anything nasty dislodges.

Another location could be the sandbed but don't do too much stirring there if there is a build up of anything, better done more gradually.

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
Don't limit feeding for the fish - maybe target feed them a bit more so food isn't going to waste.

I get ammonia in my QT tank from uneaten food going into the filter - I have to rinse out the sponges 1-2 times a week to prevent it while I'm in the first stages of getting the fish to eat prepared foods. I would give all equipment a check over and a rinse out if needed, get a powerhead in your hand and blast out the rocks, see if anything nasty dislodges.

Another location could be the sandbed but don't do too much stirring there if there is a build up of anything, better done more gradually.
I am feeding, just a bit less than normal atm till I see what is happening with the tank. I'm going to do another param check when I get home tonight to see how the ammonia is after the water change last night. I also replaced my filter wool last night also.

I also stir my sand bed 3 times a week and have been doing this for about 6 months. Every water change I power head all my LR and siphon, water changes occur once a week to once every two weeks however, my tank has gone a month without water changes before without issue, due to working 90-110hrs a week at the time.

Last night I siphoned some sand out with my water change, didn't stir, just straight siphon, needed to do this for the move coming up anyway

@ReeferRob 12 months old.

I think the only cause could be the live worms, also I have beefed up feeding the fish to prepare them For the move, combination of both? I'm assuming the left over worms that go uneaten really have made the water bad, does live foods when left to die and go uneaten let off more waste than frozen or pellets?

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
So I went to the LFS and brought home another 140L of NSW, I checked on the tank and things are looking better, fish are alive and active, will put this nsw in as soon as I get home, and hopefully that's the end of it, but am I that lucky.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I think the only cause could be the live worms, also I have beefed up feeding the fish to prepare them For the move, combination of both? I'm assuming the left over worms that go uneaten really have made the water bad, does live foods when left to die and go uneaten let off more waste than frozen or pellets?
They don't let off more waste than the other foods, but if they are dying in the tank and nothing is eating them PLUS/COMBINED WITH the subsequent die off is more than your filtration can handle then yes, that will cause ammonia.

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
water params(first one done since tank cycled almost a year ago)

Salinity= 1.026

Temp=27

checked twice - ammonia= 0

Nitrate= 0

nitrite= 0

phosphate= 0 (that even suprised me, not bad for fresh water top ups with tap water, i use prime to age it, i have an ro unit but no where to run it at the inlaws)

dKH= 7

Magnesium= 1320

Calcium and ph have been packed for the move.

Having no nitrate bothers me, other than that happy, i think ill hold off on tonights water change and keep an eye on my, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
You suck, those are perfect and I'm jealous ;)

Forget about the nitrates, the tank will be producing them but it sounds like everything is in balance and your filtration is taking care of it. Unless you are having problems with your coral because of it I won't hear any whinging about your zero readings!

The 0 phosphates will be from the Prime.

Mr.Reeefer

my name is Brock
Jul 8, 2014
You suck, those are perfect and I'm jealous ;)

Forget about the nitrates, the tank will be producing them but it sounds like everything is in balance and your filtration is taking care of it. Unless you are having problems with your coral because of it I won't hear any whinging about your zero readings!

The 0 phosphates will be from the Prime.
Thanks agent, it was quite unexpected to see these parameters after last nights episode.

I have thought things have been going fine, but the ammonia spike caught me by surprise and had me thinking the worst.

hopefully no more surprises:)