Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Day 6

Clownfish-6.jpg

Day 7 - wasn't home last night unfortunately

Day 8 - starting to take on a shinier appearance. Mouth formed together some development of the gut. Not sure if these will hatch tonight or tomorrow night??

Clownfish-7.jpg

And, a photo of the nest tonight

Clownfish-8.jpg

Cheers

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Well, I was wrong :rolleyes Hatch did not occur last night, so I guess it will be tonight. I have read that they will not hatch if there is any visible light - I had the wood heater going last night so maybe that put them off.

Tonight - Day 10

Clownfish-10.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Most of the eggs hatched 23/6/13 although there were still some (probably around 30) remaining the following morning

Clownfish-11.jpg

As I understand it, the eggs normally hatch in 7 - 10 days, depending on water temperature. These were 10/11 days and whilst not necessarily a major problem these are some things that I suspect may have contributed to the slightly delayed hatching:
  • My display tank is located in a room which is not heated overnight - I checked yesterday and the water temperature had reduced to 23 degrees overnight (normally at 25-26 degrees)
  • I have the standard moonlight connected to my Tunze controller. My latest reading suggests that no light should be allowed to enter the tank on hatch night or it can delay the hatch.
In the next few days I need to cut some ceramic tiles and place in the tank - hopefully this won't disrupt the parents too much and the next batch of eggs will be laid within the next fortnight.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Learning by watching/reading your experiences. Hopefully it might prove useful down the track if mine breed.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Lots of cleaning happening tonight so I suspect another spawn soon, maybe tomorrow afternoon.

And, the really good news is that they are cleaning the tile I put in for them a few weeks ago :D

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
fantastic, larval collection will not be that much easier for you. Keep the tile in there with them (have several so you can rotate them) and they will continue to use it.
Already have another tile sitting in the sump :)

Awesome, great read so far. Good luck mate.
Thanks. Now that they are laying on the tile there is not much more that the fish need to do. I have purchased a couple of tanks and need to get a few other things together to prepare for a September attempt at raising them.

Hopefully the fish will keep spawning until then :)