Reef Discussion

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Great effort so far @MagicJ . keep it up.
I tried a few years back and failed . Mostly due to the fact I tried to feed them frozen rotties. I didn’t have the time/space to set up the min-lab to feed the little buggers.
Also I was catching them when they hatched and putting them in another tank ( they were in a community tank).
I think the shock of moving despite my best efforts to match the water parameters took its toll
Good Luck!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks @RobbieMVFC.

From what I understand the larvae will only react to live food - frozen foods will not be taken leading to starvation of the larvae and polluting of the water. It's worth a try but I haven't read of any success with this method.

My pair taking to the tile straight away was a bit of a surprise (although it was placed directly in front of where the last nest was laid ;)) so hopefully my carefully made plans continue to be successful.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
What's the G.O with this tile business? I'm assuming that you're able to remove the tile to a different tank, making transfer easy. But how does that work with
Water params
Exposure to air
And at what point to you remove them??
(sorry, I have no idea!!)

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
I will try and answer the question , but feel free to correct me anybody.
On a tile provides a clean surface , less likely to have parasites/ diseases.
Also easy to remove ( I wouldn’t let make contact with air ).
I.e place a container into the tank let it fill up with water. Then still in the tank move the tile into the container.
Water params must be identical and stable , less shock to the eggs.
On a tile you can remove them at the 7-8 day mark , If I remember right the hatch at 10 days (at night)
If you don’t remove them the parents will protect them for a few days . At some stage they will snap and say hang on I am running out of room here , time for a snack.......
As for making money , LFS wouldn’t offer you that much , it’s more a labour of love.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Yep, pretty much as @RobbieMVFC has mentioned.

Not sure about the 'clean surface' of the tile as I think the parents do a pretty good of cleaning the laying surface - hopefully, there aren't too many tiles out in the ocean :)

I plan to fill the larval tank with water from my display tank so the parameters will be identical. On the night of the expected hatch move the tile to the larval tank - if the hatch doesn't take place I have read that you should return the nest to the parents to look after for another day. Place another tile, which has been sitting in the sump, in the same position as the original one and the parents will never know what has happened.

That's the plan anyway :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
As expected, the majority of the nest hatched last night - it looks there are around 80 still to go.

Last night - day 10

Clownfish-27.jpg

Still a small amount of the egg sac remaining.

And tonight, day 11

Clownfish-28.jpg

They seem to have developed a lot in 24 hours with no egg sac visible but a lot more colour in the tail, mouth and gut area.

Some reading I have been doing suggested that there was often a significant reduction from the number of eggs laid to those that eventually fully develop - a reduction of around 25% had been mentioned.

I counted the developed eggs last night - 472 give or take a few. Given that I started with around 507 I don't think that is too bad - around 7% loss.

If this pair maintain their current cycle, I plan to attempt to raise the spawn due to be laid around 5/9/13 and hatch around 15/9/13 - they can practise for another 2 spawns :)

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Sounds great, MagicJ :D I'm really enjoying following your journey, and I envy you your patience!! What I would give to do something in slow, sequential order!! lol

Keep up the good work!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have ordered two airpumps and valves, a few small sponge filters and some airline - ebay + China is great for this stuff :). I went a bit overboard with the airline though - 100m for $26 delivered from China seemed too good to pass up :eek

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Quick update - the tile was clean this morning so the remaining eggs did hatch last night as expected.

Looking at pictures of the same thing gets a bit boring after a while so I won't bother with any more of the developing eggs.

Hopefully, the next pictures will show my larval rearing setup, complete with phyto, rots and my frag pool/grow out area.

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
So your plan is to grown the clowns out in your frag tub? Good plan, two birds and one stone :)

I also know where to go for air line too :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Yes Alan, lots of airline available if anyone wants some:)

The frag tub was a thought as a grow out spot for the clowns. I also have a 2 ft tank so that will do for a while...

I am actually also thinking of turning my display tank into a dedicated anemone tank complete with a small family of clownfish ?? But I have to raise some larvae first :)