Reef Discussion

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
4 weeks.

Because i had them in the office, water changes were a real pain.

The last ones (the 4 week olds) get flodded out of the tank. I left the tap on filling the tank, they got washed over the top :(

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
And here I was about to reply, only to find that you've been well and truly answered :D Awesome stuff, guys!!

Sounds fantastic, @MagicJ! I'm really impressed with this thread! You're so methodical - a trait I'm jealous of ;)

May I ask where you've ordered your mesh from? We used a place in the states last time. I'm guessing the 20x20cm one was from Reef Culture, but not sure on the other one.

When siphoning out our rots, we don't turn off the pump - found that it left all of the rots to come up and float on the surface where we couldn't siphon them. Instead we just leave the pump running but siphon from the upper levels of the buckets. Don't get much rubbish at all. *shrug* Maybe it's just luck, but it works for us. (And we usually have some on hand if you get stuck. I'm also going to get off my bum and set up @Dr. Schell 's "back up" bucket at some point, so hopefully it will safeguard us too :D

E

ezza

This is an extraordinary thread. I'm learning so much here, it's utterly amazing to see. A couple of noob questions..

What are rotifers? I see they're some kind of thing that comes from green water and yeast?... Kind of confuzzled. Just answered own question. Phytoplankton. Cool.

If your clowns spawn and you don't remove the eggs from the tank... Do they just eat them all? Will they stop spawning if the eggs are never removed?

Last edited by a moderator:

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
Rots are a micro animal, green water aka photo plankton is what they eat. Fry eat the rots.

The clown fish don't care after they hatch the baby's. They get sucked into filters and skimmers. Some will get eaten too if other fish are awake.

Fish spawn 10 months of the year, one if my pairs are on their 14th month.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@ezza - pleased that you are enjoying the thread :)

Rotifers are microscopic aquatic animals - the larval fish require very small foods and rotifers are ideal as they are the right size, can be easily fed, and breed readily. However, they are not very nutritious on their own. This is where the greenwater, or algae, comes in - the rotifers are effectively gut loaded with the algae which are then fed to the fish larvae.

I should have some algae and rotifer cultures delievered next week and I will provide more info and pictures when I get everything setup.

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
are you trialing moving them to another tank yet? Even if you release back onto the main tank as feed after :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
are you trialing moving them to another tank yet? Even if you release back onto the main tank as feed after :)
No Alan.

I managed to clear some space in the shed to put up the frag pool over the weekend. Unfortunately, some of the stuff I moved ended up on my bench :)

I need some more time to clean everything up so I have room to set everything up properly.

Hopefully next time :rolleyes

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Somewhat unexpectantly my clowns laid another nest yesterday - this was not expected until later this week. The weather has generally been a bit milder over the past week or so and I suspect that overnight temperatures may have been maintained a little higher - that's my best guess anyway.

This is the nest tonight

Clownfish-40.jpg

It looks to number around 554 so up about 10% on the last nest.

@Dr. Schell kindly sent me some starter nanno and rotifer cultures a week or so ago. The nanno seems to be going OK - I was able to split it into 2 x 2l bottles last night :) The rotifers 'appear' to be alive, it's just that there doesn't seem to be very many of them although I have never had them before and am not quite sure what I should be seeing :p

I am planning to have my first attempt at raising the larvae with this nest and I am afraid that my rots are just not going to be enough.

Some of you may know of Seahorse World based at Beauty Point in Northern Tasmania. They also sell rotifers so I am hoping to get a delivery from them later this week which should see me through until I can get my own up to the required numbers.

Time will tell if my planning will mean anything - I suspect not :rolleyes

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The more "How To" articles that I read, the more the old adage "If it works for you..." seems to come into play.

Some people advocate 24 hour light from hatch until met, others reduced light until day 4 - some advocate using water from the parents tank whilst others only use ASW to reduce the possibility of contamination.

I have selected a program which I plan to initially follow - we will just have to see how it goes :confused:

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Be interested to see the rotifers under the USB Microscope to get an idea of how it goes on smaller things.

The last couple of nights my pair of occelaris have had spells of madly picking at a section of rock near where they sleep. I hadn't noticed this behaviour before. Is this possibly a sign that they're preparing to nest? Or am I being overly hopefull?