Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Had a quick look tonight - there appears to be a white haze over the main bunch of eggs :( Would appear to be a fungus but not sure how bad it needs to be before it effects the eggs/larvae - @Dr. Schell any ideas. Some around the outer perimeter appear to be OK but time will tell I guess.

First lesson learnt - if you do remove the nest and they don't hatch return it to the parents until the next night.

Also, one of my two buckets of rotifers has crashed - the other is going strong so not sure what happened.

And everything was going so well too .... :rolleyes

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have some larvae :)

I didn't want to shine the torch on the nest so I am not sure what has hatched or what is dead but there might have been 10 - 15 that I could see. Not ideal but at least it is a start.

Put some nanno and rots in the tank so that should be enough to keep them going until I get home tomorrow night.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
fungus is usually lethal to the egg, but as you have seen, some can survive. indicates low water movement around the eggs

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
fungus is usually lethal to the egg, but as you have seen, some can survive. indicates low water movement around the eggs
Yes, I should have put the tile back in the DT last night with the parents - I won't make that mistake again. I suspect it is the ones on the outer edges that have hatched.

As you have said before @Dr. Schell

expect the first few attempts to be an exercise in learning, and use it as a time to refine and develop a methodology that works for your situation.
Cheers

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
How have you set up your hatching tank? What equipment?
I still need to tidy a few things up, but this is what I have setup now

Fish-Room-2.jpg

Standard 2ft tank on the left - I was going to use some corflute to black out the tank but didn't get a chance to buy any. Settled on polystyrene covered in black garbage bags which seems to be doing the job. On the left is my nanno cultures - I will be putting together a light frame on the weekend using some cheap neutral white LED's which should work well.

The transformer is for the MH light which is currently over the pond - I hope to replace this light with my new multi-chip LED on the weekend. In the corner I have my airpump which is now nicely snuggled up to a hot water bottle (this was a great idea @Dr. Schell, thanks :))

Fish-Room-1.jpg

I have 2 more bottles of nanno in the pond together with 2 x 20l buckets for the rots - I wanted to keep some a bit warmer so that they reproduced quicker. It will definitely be easier when the weather warms up a bit.

I also have lots of buckets, a 70l garbage bin filled with water with a SG of 1.020 (used for the nanno and rots) and a bottle of mixed Aquasol for feeding the nanno.

I think that's about it :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
A quick look this morning - there appears to be around 40 live larvae so all is not lost. I removed the tile with the remaining eggs as the fungus looked to be worse and I didn't want to risk the ones that have hatched.

I also need to get better organised at enriching the rots etc as I don't have a lot of time in the morning :rolleyes

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
I guess 40 odd is a good number for a first batch to see how things go and refine your methods. Hope it goes well.
How's that second bucket of rots looking now?
After we move and settle in I could always get some nanno and rots going to have some as a backup.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@Brekel - I would love to have a few other people maintain some cultures.

The second bucket has crashed - I will be setting up two new buckets tonight so hopefully I will not lose then all.

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
(not saying that i did any better) I got about 3-4 months i think from mine... But then again, maybe it was all just green water :)