Tank Journal Archive

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
The Ultimate Multi Mantis System...
Hello all :D

After going to my LFS today to discuss more about my plans with this large setup I have in mind, I got the all clear from there head of marine staff there that what I have planned shouldn't be a problem and it will look amazing in the end, which just further more boosted my confidence in the system altogether, I described everything in detail in order to ensure that nothing was missed, everything is good to go! I'll describe things here as best I can, this system is what I like to call a MOWLR (Mantis Only With Live Rock) to help maximize space (more display tanks) and minimize overall mechanical equipment usage.

There are 3 stands aptly named....Stand 'A', Stand 'B' & Stand 'C' total volume of all 3 stands is roughly 860L. Now in order to maximize space I am not using a sump having said that there isn't going to be anything special in the tanks beyond sand / rock & the mantis. Each stand is a single system in order to get away with certain filtration requirements (protein skimmer for example), by doing this Stand 'A' holds 220L while Stand 'B' holds 350L and Stand 'C' holds 290L. Each stand is filtered via a large external canister filter, the fluval FX5 (after personal use with this canister...I'm officially in love with it). The FX5 also acts as the source of flow for each stand with the inlet to the canister being positioned in the bottom tank of each stand and the outlet of the canister in the top tank of each stand, plumbing is going to be exact to match the flow of the FX5.

Stand 'A' is going to house the smallest of Mantis shrimp species (50mm - 100mm) and also be able to hold the most amount (total of 7-8), the stand holds 4 tanks, the top 3 are 600mm L x 300mm W x 350mm H each of the top 3 tanks are halved via a black drilled acrylic sheet, I intend to keep breeding pairs in these 2 foot tanks, with each mantis occupying its own foot, I have constructed a DIY door made from the very divider that is used, where I can lift it and expose about a 10cm X 10cm gap so the breeding pair can interact for a bit. The forth tank or bottom tank of Stand 'A' is going to be slightly taller for exactly what you guessed...system failures, the bottom tank is the same width and length however it is 450mm H and will still be filled to the same height as the tanks above, it just has the air space for when power failures happen. Each compartment in the halved tanks holds roughly 25L each/per mantis.

Stand 'B' will house the medium sized Mantis shrimp species (100mm-200mm) it will be capable of holding 5-6 of them, there are 3 tanks on this stand the top 2 tanks are 900mm L x 300mm W x 450mm H once again the bottom tank is slightly taller to account for power failures etc so its 600mm H. Each tank is halved again in this stand via the dividers I create along with the DIY doors that are on them. The volume for each of the compartments within this stand is 50L each/per mantis.

Stand 'C' is going to house the largest of the mantis shrimp most likely the big L.maculata spearers. There are 3 tanks in this stand and It will be capable of holding 3-6 Large spearers depending on if they pair up or not. I like to refer to this stand as the "Mantis Farm" an underwater large ant farm look-a-like, your probably wondering where I am going with this......the dimensions for the top 2 tanks on this stand are 1500mm L x 450mm H whilst the bottom tank is 1500mm L x 600mm H here is where it becomes the "underwater ant farm thing..." each tank is only.....150mm wide that is 15cm! Sounds crazy I know but after speaking with the Professor in California (Dr. Caldwell) about it personally, it is the same dimensions of HIS large spearer tanks. Essentially each tanks is filled 3/4 with sand leaving a small open water space above. Hence the "Ant Farm Look a Like" being such a thin tank it will make the mantis dig 1 way and also provide much greater chances at getting windows into his lair under ground like an ant farm.

All up the systems can hold a total of 15 - 20 mantis shrimps, spearers and smashers accommodated as required.

Here is the overall short of what it should look like.
aimg831.imageshack.us_img831_906_multimantissetup03.png

Earlier design (abandoned now) smaller but shows the plumbing which will remain the same
[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9688/multimantissetup.png[/URL]

More to come as it gets built, I have been informed that even though there are 10 tanks in total it will only take 1 week (2 tops) to actually have them built!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
DIVIDERS/BREEDING DOORS

Hello all followers/viewers! :D

Today I started to talk to a local acrylic fabricator about having him make me some acrylic dividers specifically for the cause I seek since each of these dividers will be more then mere dividers, each divider is also going to have an easy access breeding door, where for the sake of breeding stomatopods I can lift the sliding doors up for a while and let them interact together for a while, whilst keeping them completely safe from each other in a neat and tidy setting.

I haven't provided dimensions yet on these because I am still awaiting on my tanks to return then I can measure there insides etc and send them to the acrylic fabricator.

Although the color is grey in the image made the dividers will be black. There will be a total of 7 dividers used.
aimg837.imageshack.us_img837_3912_tankdividers.png

More to come as it comes :D

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
thangs can be "ugly as hell" and still be vey practicle and provide the animals with the best possible conditions :-)

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Well I know there all happy as none have shown signs of stress or discomfort, there all out active and inter-active.

On a completely unrelated matter yet still on topic, for each of the small compartments I planned on having a large piece of LR perhaps just that piece if it were nice enough and large enough. (If you can remember...think 3 times the size of the G.graphurus pairs Live Rocks that you had them in and I am keeping them in).

Where can I get nice Large premium looking Live Rock more nice/encrusted then your avg Live Rock ?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
you can get "dead" rock of suitable size, and buy a small piece of "premium" rock. In time, the inverts/algae will colonise the availible space. All things take time, and within a year, given suitable lighting/conditions, etc, you should have fantastic coloraline and macro algae growth.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
the only problem with the time (which is something I don't have an issue with) is the fact that there is going to be a "hopefully short period of time" where my mantis shrimp are moved from there current system to a smaller system (smaller for the large spearers but same size and conditions for current smashers) there in this smaller system because I need to dismantle my current one in order to get the new one in place.

My aim is to keep them in this "temporary system" as I refer to it for as little time as possible (hopefully just the amount of time it takes for the new large systems to be fully cycled and ready to support life a.k.a month or two.

EDIT: I plan on using everything (water, sand & LR) from my current system in my temporary system so there will be no cycling just transferring.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
there wull always be a "cycle"however, it will be significantly shortened by useing your existing materials. MAy only take 1 week or so.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Lighting is proving to be a bit of a Bit*h rite now as I am a bit torn between what I can and what I should use.....any ideas would be great =) I need to cover a length of 7.5mtrs total....the tanks are only going to hold LR sand and each mantis....so there won't be that dire need of high quality lighting that a normal reef would need.

My aim was to use flexible, waterproof, strip lights they often come in rolls of 5m,10m,15m I aimed on getting around 15-30mtrs of strip lighting all up and 2 colors, pure white and deep blue, by getting 15mtrs of each color I can have 2 lengths of each color above each tank if I go 30mtrs then I can have 4lengths of each color above each tank.

Problem is power etc I am to new to the understandings of LED's...I hear that 5050 LED's are the best and brightest so I am leaning towards them, its just that to get T5 fixtures for all these tanks would cost well over $2000...whilst the LED strips even 30mtrs of it will only cost me $500....I am more incline to go with the 5050's and then use a dimmer if there too bright.

This is what I am looking at
Blue - http://www.onlinelighting.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=60_179&products_id=12069
White - http://www.onlinelighting.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=60_179&products_id=12072

Also depending on how many lengths I would need above each tank of the basic blue and white colors I may be able to fit other colors in as well like green and red just because overall its SOOOOOO much cheaper the T5 fixture lights.

Red - http://www.onlinelighting.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=60_179&products_id=12071
Green - http://www.onlinelighting.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=60_179&products_id=12070

Any help or pointers would be really appreciative!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Lights Dumped....back to drawing board for them -_-

EDIT: Was going to need something like 12.5mtrs of 14.4 watt per mtr of LED Strip lights....and at over $100 per 5m's well you do the math..oh by the way thats 12.5 mtrs for just 1! 2foot tank.....

TOO THE DRAWING BOARD!!!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
LoL thought this thread got deleted there for a while didn't know where it went :confused:

Anyway I hope people are still curious about this build as I have a small update.

Today I went about purchasing the filtration and the lighting for the tanks, I finally came down to a lighting setup that I not only like but will be plenty for what I need it will give each tank between 1.1watts min - 3watts max per gal.

One FX5 per stand and One LED light fixture per tank!
[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/850/p1010540og.jpg[/URL]