Tank Journal Archive

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
I plan on detailing everything, from the painting of the back & sides of each tank black to the way each compartment will be layed out in the look I choose, I do want to aim for visual pleasure so I can take good photos whilst still maintaining an almost natural look in each compartments layout.

I am setting up a smaller system that will utilize my current sump its a 1mtr long sump so I'll get a 1mtr long tank to match but it will JUST HOUSE the live fish intended as food =) rather then dumping 6-12-18+ in the spearers tanks all in one hit which made it virtually impossible to capture them on camera taking live prey.

With individual feedings of live fish it will be MUCH more predictable and easier hence better shots of them taking live prey =D.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
FINALLY THE TANKS HAVE ARRIVED!! :D:D

The professionalism & the ease at which the whole process went down with the manufacturer & seller was a really smooth process that and they didn't question me about anything other then wanting to make sure my end product did work as intended they were more interested in what I had going into the tanks and how it will look in the end, I can't really speak to highly of the other (primary) place I went to and USE to go to, to get all my aquarium stuff and originally they were going to do it but after being berated about it being a 'fruitless' endeavour to keep what is essentially pests...well you get the picture and my response to them was "So after 14yrs of coming here this is what I get...." needless to say they lost a very damn good customer I spent on avg 5,000-10,000 dollars annually at this old LFS I USE to go to now this new one gained me :D.

All 8 Tanks lined up in my garage taking up a good half of the garage...they will remain here for the next 1-2weeks whilst I paint the back and sides of the tanks (black) and build the steel frames at work since I am a decent welder :D + I can get all the steel I need through work saving a lot on money and there is a lot of steel (about 60mtrs....).
[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/8315/dscn0514fy.jpg[/URL]

The Spearers tanks, the tank behind the one closest to the camera is a little harder to see but its design is the same, they are both 1200mm long whilst one is 700mm high and its slightly smaller brother is 600mm High, the unique part is there both just 150mm wide! YES that is just 15cm! The glass they used on these 2 tanks alone is.... "TANK!" it is....15mm thick as opposed to the glass.
[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/8377/dscn0515z.jpg[/URL]

A couple of random tanks, the one most furthest back is a 600mm long tank while the one infront is a 900mm tank, I LOVE the lid design that the manufacturer used, its a little hard to describe but there not your "typical" (lift off tank style) lids, rather then being split width ways to halve the lids they have been split length ways creating 2 really long but then panes of glass for the lid, one of these sit slightly raised at the rear of the tank, whilst the one at the front sits slightly lower, to access inside each tank you need only push the front pane of glass (lid) back making it slide under the rear one! A.K.A You never need to actually lift and remove the glass (although you can).
[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/6664/dscn0516p.jpg[/URL]
[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1731/dscn0517o.jpg[/URL]

Here is what makes the tanks extra special, the dividers, there so damn good and I can instantly tell they will DEF hold up against the force of the smashers! They are done so well and so neat that its just damn sexy :p I kind of expecting there to be a god awful mess of silicon involved with the dividers but at first glance you can't even SEE the glue used, you really need to look for it and there and solid as the tanks sides!
[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1735/dscn0518g.jpg[/URL]

So all I need to do now is basically paint the tanks (which I am a little paranoid about as everything I read conflicts with the next thing....) then make the stands and get them all nice looking since that is what myself and other viewers will be seeing (the tanks will be encased within the stands the only visible part of the tanks will be the front of the tank), then after a lil' plumbin I'll be good too GO!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Thats a lot of tanks, Looking awesome though, can't wait to see them all setup
Notice the last picture I provided in my latest post, note the newspaper beneath it and the large bold title on the newspaper for the article on the front cover...."LETS GET TO WORK!" kind of fitting :D

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Can't wait for this thing to get done. It is going to look so sweet!
I agree completely and share your enthusiasm, thanks for stopping in to check :)

Now hurry up and put your mantii in there!
Many things need to be done still before the system is operational... I need to modify the FX5 output hose (the hose that pushes water out of the canister and into the tanks) because if you can imagine a standard FX5 outlet being in a 30x30x30cm space = tornado! I am going to do one of the submerged PVC spray bars there are hundreads of FIY threads on the net for FX5 DIY nozzles.

Have to commend your builders as well. Those are awesome looking tanks for pests.
The tanks are really flawless they look exceptionally nice and I love the lid design! Rather then being typical tank lids that are split down the width into halves then are just lifted off the tanks when required....instead they split the lids length wise creating 2 long rectangle lids for each tank, 1 sit at the back of the tank and the other at the front! The rear lid sits slightly higher then the lid at the front so when you need to access inside the tank the front lid easily and effortlessly slide under the rear lid of the tank meaning you don't need to remove the lids to access the tank! great design!

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Looking awesome!!! You know you can name the shop you got it all from if you like I'm sure they will like the advertisement ;) they have done a good job.

Are you painting the backs black? I have painted the last two tanks I had (6 and 4 footers) black using the cheap cans from bunnings and it turned out perfect both times. First coat do really thin like really thin so you can still see through it. Once your ready for the second make it a bit heavier and after you should still be able to just see through it in parts, then do two full coats and it will look a treat. The only reason that I may not do it with my new tank is if I have to put a tunze magnet on the back. The paint if done properly is harder to scratch than people will tell you BUT those damn magnets are strong and will probably scratch it. You can also get a product from work called esp I think which is a clear primer solution that wipes onto glass etc and then will allow paint to stick to difficult surfaces. I never tested it to see wether it left any kind of smudge or make on the glass but they claim it to be completely clear. It easy don't worry about it ;) try it on an old lid first.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Looking awesome!!! You know you can name the shop you got it all from if you like I'm sure they will like the advertisement ;) they have done a good job.

Are you painting the backs black? I have painted the last two tanks I had (6 and 4 footers) black using the cheap cans from bunnings and it turned out perfect both times. First coat do really thin like really thin so you can still see through it. Once your ready for the second make it a bit heavier and after you should still be able to just see through it in parts, then do two full coats and it will look a treat. The only reason that I may not do it with my new tank is if I have to put a tunze magnet on the back. The paint if done properly is harder to scratch than people will tell you BUT those damn magnets are strong and will probably scratch it. You can also get a product from work called esp I think which is a clear primer solution that wipes onto glass etc and then will allow paint to stick to difficult surfaces. I never tested it to see wether it left any kind of smudge or make on the glass but they claim it to be completely clear. It easy don't worry about it ;) try it on an old lid first.
Thank you for the kind words of wisdom!

I am not 110% positive who exactly made the tanks as the LFS I went to was the middle man / organizer however the LFS I went through is...

Nielsen's Marine Mates - Ian & Ben

Nielsen's Marine Mates are a very good aquarium store everything is very impressive in there shop when I first went into the shop it felt like stepping into a Holden/Ford car center what I mean by this is...everything was absolutely SPOTLESS so clean it was just really weird it was a comfortable place to be in, then there was the staff amazing people, I delt with Ian mostly with my tanks but also spoke to Ben a few times and I think it was Ben whom delivered the tanks, they wanted to make sure 110% that what I had in mind was going to work, they did all the hard work =) as I got frequent msgs/emails asking me questions about various parts of the systems and to make things just that much better =) they seem to be more excited about this build then I do you ever seen a 40-50yr old man act like a 10-15yr old kid (Sorry Ian no offence) well yeah they were just so excited to hear about such an interesting build it only boosted my confidence through the roof =). However my "Old LFS" try to actually sway me away from my design and not only the design but what I should keep within it they couldn't justify such a large aquarium for such a small and I quote "Insignificant creature".....it was at that point they lost me as a life long customer previously I spent between $5,000-$10,000 a year at this "Old LFS" now Nielsen's Marine Mates are my go to guys! Ian at Nielsen's Marine Mates is so interested in the build that he has requested to have detailed pics of everything that way he can put them on display in the shop for everyone to see because he himself understands how misunderstood the stomatopods are.

Now as far as painting the tanks go I am definitely doing this just because I love the uniform look and it should help to bring out the tanks inhabitants more that and make the mantis shrimp feel more comfortable (even the most hardy surface dwelling mantis shrimp prefer the dark when its achievable) as far as the magnets and paint goes, well first off there will be NO magnets/powerheads on these systems, there just aint enough room or real need for them BUT if I do have to use them I will do what I did with my current Tunze magnet powerhead, inside the box of the Tunze comes a "cut to size" piece of styrofoam that is separating the magnets in the box, I utilize it inbetween the magnet on the outside and the glass it would rest on its been like that for months with no signs of lack of strength + it prevents the magnet on the outside from damaging the glass/paint I would just do this again IF powerheads will be needed (but I seriously doubt I need them).

My biggest issue rite now has been painting but reading what you wrote has put my mind at ease quite a bit =) I have already purchased the paint to use for the tanks and its in cans which I will use a roller wheel to paint the tanks with, I also got some primer for the glass prior to applying the paint, the 2 main reasons I didn't want to use a spray can is because (A) I kept reading conflicting reports about how it just strips rite of (B) Kept reading about how difficult it was to get a really even layer and have no see through parts. So I thought a Thick paint used with a roller I thought would be the best bet to get an even finish look.

I also need to fashion 2 DIY spray bars for 2 of the FX5's as the flow from the factory nozzle will be too much for the 2foot and 3foot INITIAL tank (INITIAL a.k.a the tank where the actually FX5's output nozzle sits in) so to slow it down and even it out I'll make 2 spray bars as wide as the tanks there going in and run each from the back to the front on one side of the tank.

EDIT: I just hope I can get all the PVC parts I need for the DIY spraybars in Black so that it matches and kinda gets hidden with the painted black sides and rear of the tanks they will be in

Cheers
Much More to come - Stay Tuned!

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Go to bunnings and in the irrigation ilse they have the poly fittings for irrigation which are black. Get the risers that are solid tube with threads on each end. All the bits and pieces will be there to make s spray bar up. I made on one of my old six footers but that was fresh I don't think the plastic would have any phosphate issues. One tip make sure the holes are all dead straight lol and clean the drill holes to get any little burs out as it tends to send water all over the place if they are not ;)

Paint should be a good with the roller I didn't have a thin spot or two using the can but you could only see it if there was light behind it.

Sounds like you new lfs is the go!!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Go to bunnings and in the irrigation ilse they have the poly fittings for irrigation which are black. Get the risers that are solid tube with threads on each end. All the bits and pieces will be there to make s spray bar up. I made on one of my old six footers but that was fresh I don't think the plastic would have any phosphate issues. One tip make sure the holes are all dead straight lol and clean the drill holes to get any little burs out as it tends to send water all over the place if they are not ;)

Paint should be a good with the roller I didn't have a thin spot or two using the can but you could only see it if there was light behind it.

Sounds like you new lfs is the go!!
Ahh yes I know the stuff but I suppose the BEST part about this irrigation stuff is that they do come threaded on the ends will make for less glue I have been doing some reading about DIY Spray Bars for FX5's and this keeps coming up "I did not cement any of the parts that were below the water line in the tank." so how is the actual "straight bar with holes in it" and the "end cap on the straight bar" stay in place is it just jammed in togehter and it can hold ? No Idea....however like you said, the irrigation stuff comes with threaded ends making this problem nil.

If I could... If I could... If I could...I would breed mantis shrimps and sell them out but as far as raising them from hatching...its VERY VERY difficult.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Here is a "rough" image of how I would like this Spray Bar too look.

Fairly simple plan, to note although I have drawn it in side view, once the tank is up and running you won't be able to see through the sides of the tanks due to them also being black but its the side view that gives the most details of how it will look even though its just a rough idea of how it will look in the end.[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9942/fx5diyspraybar.png[/URL]

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
PVC pipes will seal pretty well without glue. Most of my plumbing is just help together with faith, hope and gravity! Any fittings that are outside the tank boundarys are glued. This means that the fittings that are not glued, if they do leak, will only drip into the tank anyway!

The problem with the irrigation fittings is that they are much bulkier than the PVC equivalents this may or may not be a problem for you. Go and have a look and see what you think.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Also if you need the rigid risers to be cut and threaded to a different length most plumbers will have a tool to do so and will probably do it for a 6 pack if you ask nicely!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
One of my main concerns lay with the fact that I have limited space mixed with the fact that lets put it, most spray bars are fugly :D there big, clunky and take up space BUT they do a good job at reducing powerful flow, the space I have to work within each "compartment" is 30Lx30Wx30H cm & 45Lx30Wx30H cm since I would prefer to run the spray bars along the sides of the tank rather then along the back it gives me the same size for both needed which is around 20-25cm long most of the DIY spray bars I read of that are attached to these powerful filters are around 45-60cm long....

I have thought of another 3 possible ways to help reduce the flow futher, along with reading about these other DIY FX5 spray bars I read a lot about how there holes for the final portion of the bar itself are drilled out at 3/8inch I planned on increasing this to 7/16inch or 1/2inch at max not sure if that would further help reduce the flow though...

Not sure if this way would help however I had thought about increasing the diameter of the final part of the spray bar (the part water exits) for example, lets say the total diameter of the output hose is 20mm then keeping it at 20mm diameter rite through the DIY of the spray bar until I get to the spray bar itself (the part water exits) making this slightly larger at around 25-30mm in the hopes that it will further reduce the flow coming from the powerful filter).

To take things a step further and as a last resort almost lol...I have thought about making a large "L" shape or 'Dogs Leg' where by the the FX5's output hose is connected to a 90degree sort of bend where I can connect 2 end parts of a spray bar having one running along the back of the tank and the other (due to it being 90degrees) running along the side of the tank.

By not doing the above....that first chamber.... where the FX5's output sits...would be a maelstrom for any living creature....a giant whirlpool!

One way or another though :D it WILL work!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
70mtrs of 35mmx35mmx3gage steel has been ordered and will be delivered today to make the stands this saturday =)

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Steel just arrived :D

Since I ordered the steel through my company for "use within the company ;)" I got it at trade discounts which cut it back a LOT in overall costs was going to be around $750 but cost me $440 and to top it off FREE delivery :D now transporting 8mtr lengths (what they come in) is to cumbersome for any of our vehicles and to have them cut it shorter was not an option since they charge a lot for doing that.

Lots going to happen this weekend, I really hope to get all 3 stands done since I have more then the tools and workspace required!