Tank Journal Archive

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
The invert seems to be Stomatellid to me
Thanks @malau ! I googled their diet and it seems they eat microalgae - lets hope thats the case for all the species. Now I'm disappointed I only have one, could have had a new population of critters on my clean up crew!

malau

Oct 13, 2011
Thanks @malau ! I googled their diet and it seems they eat microalgae - lets hope thats the case for all the species. Now I'm disappointed I only have one, could have had a new population of critters on my clean up crew!
Hope it carry eggs and hatch :) Normally they hide during day time IME

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Does the coral look like it is encrusting or does it have its own skeleton ?
I've had it suggested this coral could be an Alveopora sp. What do you think? New info: I counted the tentacles per polyp and there are 12.

Hope it carry eggs and hatch :) Normally they hide during day time IME
Funny you should say that as here is the latest thing I would like an ID on - eggs! A couple of hours old, discovered them after lights out on the glass. I'm used to seeing turbo eggs all the time but this is new.

eggs.jpg

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
New brittle star - not sure if this little guy is reef safe or not but not too concerned as I can put him in a separate tank if he's not. He's actually maroon coloured but the camera didn't pick it up.

malau

Oct 13, 2011
It will come out from your tank and eat you like those giant squid at night while you are sleeping then back to the tank.....

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
urbanratt84 :eek

He should be fine - some of the large, green ones will catch and eat fish but most of the brittle stars are detrivores.
He disappeared for ages but I've located him living in one of my rocks. He reaches out and touches the fish when they come too close but they get away pretty easy. Not sure if I should be nervous about that or not.

Here is something new to ID - a lilac coloured macro of some kind. I hope it survives and grows because its not one I've come across before and very beautiful!

purple macro.jpg

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
10620523_10152999391864273_1281175353084219752_n.jpg

Found this when I was dismantling the tank (creeepy, I didn't want to touch it as you can see). Its been ID'd as a 'Little Chiton' by Alison Kuiter. This particular one doesn't have a very big shell and I found a second one the same, I'd love to know if its just a natural variation or if there is a reason for it, lack of calcium or something?

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
View attachment 47595

Found this when I was dismantling the tank (creeepy, I didn't want to touch it as you can see). Its been ID'd as a 'Little Chiton' by Alison Kuiter. This particular one doesn't have a very big shell and I found a second one the same, I'd love to know if its just a natural variation or if there is a reason for it, lack of calcium or something?
Looks like a Dr just b4 he is going to check .......oh wait you mean that invert........
lol

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
What's happening with the tank?
The tank wasn't the same after the heatwave we had where my air con failed. I've decided to upgrade.

New air con has been installed. Plans are getting drawn up this weekend to be given to the tank builder. It's going to be nice having all new things! :)

My corals and fish are in a 100L tank. The maroon brittle star has been an absolute trooper through all of this, and even in a much smaller tank I still have no clue what he eats.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
="Agent M, post: 156736, member: 245"]I hope he offers you a gummy bear afterwards!! :p[/QUOTE]

He should take me out to dinner first.

suta42

Aug 13, 2011
sydney
Hi M, :)

Not sure if it's the kind of thing you do but I have two large brittle stars. Every second day or so, using long forceps I give them about a quarter of a cube of frozen mysis, as this kind of food gets the best feeding response out of them. They grab the food with a leg quickly curling it up towards the stomach. Pretty impressive.

As an indicator one is maybe a foot across, the other a bit bigger. Only started feeding as I worried if they didn't get enough food they might take on one of my snack sized fish / small shrimp. Might add there's no evidence these guys would, just didn't want to find out they were really hungry the hard way! :eek

HTH

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I will feed him if he has his legs out and I know where he is but its rare to see him. I don't know if he is scavenging food that has been added to the tank or if he finds his own.

Even in the smaller tank with 2 rocks and a bunch of frags its hard to find him. Just when I think he may have died I find him again.