Tank Journal Archive

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
tonyf's first tank
Well while waiting for my tank thought i'd throw a bit of a journal together.

Introduction:
Reefing Since: Just new!​
System Objectives: To keep everything alive​
Type of reef: probably mixed but we'll see​
Display System:
Initial Fill Date: hopefully before Xmas​
Display Tank Dimensions: 3 x 2 x 1.5 external bean animal setup.​
Display Lighting: Illumagic LED (ThanksNils)​
Stand: Custom 950 high​
Hood or Rimless: Rimless​
Sump Design: 2 x 1.5x1.5​
Filtration: Live rock, probaby going with uncured live at this stage, (unless I change my mind:confused:)​
Support systems:
NSW or ASW: NSW​
Display Water circulation: Tunze 6055 and 6095​
Return Pump : Eheim 1260​
Skimmer: Skimz 181​
Evaporation Top Up: Hopefully Tunze ATO​
Chemical additions:
Calcium Addition: ?​
Alkilinity Addition: ?​
Magnesium Addition: ?​
Prodibiotics Addition: ?​
Coral Food Addition: ?
Fish list;​
pair of occy clowns​
Probably Bi colour Blenny​
Maybe Firefish, but unsure as I have read they like to jump and tank is braceless rimless so a bit more research on that one. Anyone have any experience with these guys?​
Anyway stay tuned, any suggestions more than welcome!!

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
What about a small angel Tony? Looks good one paper, can't wait to see it wet :)
Like maybe a flame? I do like them, but every time i see something, I knda like it. mTrying to be really selective as I want to keep the tank quite sparse, maybe a handful of fish (heheheh yeah i know easy to say), so trying to be selective as I also want it to be a really passive tank too!
thanks for the suggestion.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Like maybe a flame? I do like them, but every time i see something, I knda like it. mTrying to be really selective as I want to keep the tank quite sparse, maybe a handful of fish (heheheh yeah i know easy to say), so trying to be selective as I also want it to be a really passive tank too!
thanks for the suggestion.
Yeah like a flame or CB or similar, you could also look at say a royal gramma or orchid dottyback too... :D

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Just spoke to the tank builder and he said it might be ready for pickup this weekend. Woohoo! Fingers crossed. Will check out tank tomorrow, make sure everything is where it should be. I'll take some shots and post up when I get home.
Starting to get excited.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
If you havnt already brought it may I suggest going with something else other than skimz, everything else you have got is reliabile and smick but skimz still have some bugs to iron out. If you dont believe it ill sell you mine thats been sitting in my laundry for 3 months waiting for parts

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
If you havnt already brought it may I suggest going with something else other than skimz, everything else you have got is reliabile and smick but skimz still have some bugs to iron out. If you dont believe it ill sell you mine thats been sitting in my laundry for 3 months waiting for parts
LOL, thanks for the offer.
Thanks for the heads up, but I have already purchased it. I bought off someone that said they got the the upgraded pump with the new impeller. Fingers crossed and hopefully it will work out:confused:.
Have you tried getting the new impeller for the pump?. There was a huge post on mass about them. If it doesn't work out I'll just have to try something else. In the rush to get everything sorted, I probably rushed in without enough research, but I kinda trust the person I purchased it off. Thanks NiCd, Just have to wait and see.

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Still a a few things left to sort out, IBC for water storage, get a few test kits, then if it does turn up this weekend set up in garage and get plumbing sorted and do the water test. Fingers crossed .

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
If it has the replacement impeller already and thats running it should all be good, everyone seems happy with the new ones.

I got the replacement impellor and it ended up causing more issues and now it requires a replacement pump, It took over two months for the impellor and Im up to a month for the pump- somehow I think ill be hiding easter eggs in it still. Certainly glad I have a spare skimmer.

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
If it has the replacement impeller already and thats running it should all be good, everyone seems happy with the new ones.

I got the replacement impellor and it ended up causing more issues and now it requires a replacement pump, It took over two months for the impellor and Im up to a month for the pump- somehow I think ill be hiding easter eggs in it still. Certainly glad I have a spare skimmer.
Man that's frustrating!
just outa curiosity what did you replace it with?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I had a RO 500 classic skimmer sitting around that was what I used before "upgrading" to the skimz, so ive gone back to using that for the time being, its only a 90l tanks so even thats still overkill, but im still working out what im going to do moving forward.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
:eekskimz has been nothing but disappointing IMO . nice quality on the skimmer bodys but after sales support has been hideous