Tank Journal Archive

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
HI guys,
just a quick shot. Got all the plumbing work finished as water is coming tomorrow morning:)
Excuse the glue work (first time plumbing)
Plumbing.jpg

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Nothing wrong with that glue work. I've just done my second round of tank plumbing, and made a far bigger mess than that :D
Looks damn tidy. Nice work.

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Thanks David!
Today it gets filled.
I am thinking of heading to the LFS today also to get some live rock. I checked out the tank that they hold the rock in and looks pretty good. What are your guys thoughts using cured rock.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Cured vs fresh is a good debate....... Cured your mess likely to get pests (read LESS likely not WON'T) and a slightly smaller cycle where as fresh your more likely to get nicer hitchhikers along with it and the bigger cycle will set you up with a better bacterial filter in the long run

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I'm using a mixture I've stuff I cured with some fresh stuff. The local equivalent of "premium live rock" is base rock that's been sitting in a fairly poor excuse for a marine system with no real signs of life beyond a bit of brownish algae, so I padded out the real live stuff I could get with a bit of base rock. I managed to get more life on base rock in 3 months of curing in a kiddie pool than the LFS has on pieces of rock it's had in its system for years (it admits it rarely sells the stuff).

That said, I'm a fan of a bit of both. I started a nano with above said "premium live rock" and for the entire time I could barely get the cycle to finish, and had no useful critters to help clean (worms, fan worms, a million other weird things), and no sign of coralline. Added a bit of fresh live rock, and the tank took off. A few annoying hitchhikers, but you're gonna get them one day anyway.

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Hi Guys, tank now filled:) and rock added.
Did a quick check on water yesterday (well gotta get in the routine)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0.25
Phosphate .02
Ph 8.3

Gunnie

Dec 13, 2011
awesome tony, glue work is much neater than mine!!!
going to need to come check it out :)

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Looks good Tony. Whats the plan from here on ?
Plan? Nobody told told me i need a plan:p Just kidding.
Sit and wat till it cycles, been testing water, and amonia and nitrite is still 0, but nitrate has spiked from .25ppm to 1 in a matter of days. Also noticed that the rocks are starting to turn brown. Will probably do a WC rthis weekend and test again. really want to see that ammonia. But The rock I bought was cured (apparently).
As far as the tank is concerned I will start with a few softies and only want to have a handfull of fish.
Fish list will probably be a pair of clowns, blenny, firefish, maybe a flamehahk and a wrasse, maybe fairy. I think they are great looking fish. Tossing up about a yellow tang, but the the tank might be a bit small, so still undecided. And then just watch it grow.
Would love love to go the acros but this being my first tank will worry abut evrything else first, like keeping everything alive!

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
How you liking the Illumagics Tony?
Loving them!! It's the blaze model. Gives a great over the tank. I think almost too bright. Will have to get into it and do some manual adjustments.
I would highly recommend them. Matt also speaks really high highly of them and he has been using them a bit longer than I have.