Tank Journal Archive

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
I got 20v in the 6055, and 15v in the 6095. Tell me is 30% of the the voltage plug you are using?? If that is the case then I could put the 12v and run it at 30%, that would drop the power more.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
That it what I was going to suggest - not sure what the actual change will be but it would seem logical that the water volume generated at 24v would be double that at 12v. Maybe not entirely correct but you get the idea.

See how you go at 12v and 30%.

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
That it what I was going to suggest - not sure what the actual change will be but it would seem logical that the water volume generated at 24v would be double that at 12v. Maybe not entirely correct but you get the idea.

See how you go at 12v and 30%.
Well guess what. It made a difference! Thanks for the tip, I didn't even think of it.

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Hi Guys.
Been a looong time since my last update so here goes. Added a few across, trying to get some colour outta them. Been reading lots about Zeo but still a little confused?
Got a sea hare for try rid the tank of algae but he only cleaned the back wall, won't touch the macro....As you can see I still haven't got that side of things under control yet.
And a beautiful Kole Tang.
And My little six line has gone missing..Just disappeared :confused: Don't know what happened to him. Even though he was a bully and used to pick on everyone in the tank still kinda bummed about it. He is my first loss. Don't know what I'll replace him with yet. Lotsa pic's.
Any tips on colouring up the Acro's would be greatly appreciated!!

IMG_1184.jpg
IMG_1186.jpg
IMG_1202.jpg
IMG_1219.jpg
IMG_2634.jpg
IMG_2636.jpg
IMG_2640.jpg
IMG_2651.jpg
IMG_2653.jpg
IMG_2633.jpg

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Bummer about the macro everywhere but it is still a damn fine looking tank!! You'll get it under control soon enough I am sure!!

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Bummer about the macro everywhere but it is still a damn fine looking tank!! You'll get it under control soon enough I am sure!!
Thanks. As far as getting the macro under control, I might have to pull the rocks from the tank and give em a good scrub.

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Ok, so a bit of an update. Unfortunately not so good news this time round.
So my Midas Blenny jumped, which I was devistaed tind him dead on the floor:(. He was my favorite.
Still haven't got the algae issue under control (alot better but still there).
And since adding the Kole tang he has broken out in spots and scratching:mad: Hasn't been a good month. But all a learning curve I guess.
Ran out and bought a tank to set up to Quarantine. will do the hypo thing. Just wondering, the tang definately needs to go in, I have nitoced trhe gramma flashing/scratching but the clowns seem unnafected. Should I still put them all in quarantine?? Just after a bit of advice.
Thanks

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Hey mate,
Your tank looks like it is running silky smooth.
Think you are doing a great job, personally I dont mind a bit of macro in the tank and I think it adds a little flavour to the set up, I am sure that as your Phosphate levels reach absolute zero the macro growth will slow down a lot.
With the zeo stuff, it is the PIF that brings out the blues the most, other usefull suppliments are B balance and K balance for the other colours.
I think that a touch of Iron might help with your green acro too, but use it sparingly(1-2 drops every three days and wait for results) as iron contributes to algea too.
Iron is also usefull for your other corals zooxanthellae production.
The zeovit system is easy once you break it into parts, you have your basic four that are to do with water quality and chasing the ULN state ( Bac, Carbon, Zeolites and Start)
The Start is your food for the Bacteria.......The rest of the zeo range is for tweaking the colours- simple as that !!!!!!!

In saying that getting the colours requires your full attention to detail, regular skimmer cup/ neck cleans, reg water changes, reg filter sock changes,keeping tip top water params..........:mad: but then again it seems to come too easy for others.
;) Mate just like me , we become a slave to the freaking fishtank !!!!!

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Man that sucks! Sorry to hear about the blenny. Is it white spot, if so the clowns may already have the parasite they can live in the gills if i'm not mistaken and not even show up on the outside of the fish. Someone with more knowledge on this might be able to help. White spot is one thing I hope I never have to deal with!

Good luck!

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Thanks for all the encouragement guys!!
Hey Nils, I was only thinking a couple of supplements to enhance colours so thanks keeps for the tips. Will look into it once the QT prior is over. I was thinking maybe Xtra and coral vitaliser.
Yeah Sarg, pretty sure it is the dreaded white spot. The clowns are showing no symptoms, but the tang definitely is and the gramma has started scratching, so fingers crossed that they all pull through!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Reefroids will substitute for Coral vitaliser.
Brightwell chemicals can be an excellent substitute for the zeo elements.
I have been experimenting like crazy on my tank recently , it is great to get feedback from your coral!

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Reefroids will substitute for Coral vitaliser.
Brightwell chemicals can be an excellent substitute for the zeo elements.
I have been experimenting like crazy on my tank recently , it is great to get feedback from your coral!
Thanks Nils! Been using the roids already;)
When the time is right will start experimenting as well.

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Well, not good news guys, lost the Kole. Passed the first night in QT. I think a combo of the white spot and getting REALLY stressed from the move. Poor guy, always sucks losing one. The gramma has been laying on the bottom, hiding between the pipes since the move as well, hoping she'll come good, but on a lighter note the clowns are acting as if nothing even happened. swimming around the tank, eating, so happy about that. Anyway main tank is now empty apart from the snails and shrimp, and will stay that way for at least another 6 weeks. Any new addition will now definitely go into QT before going in main tank. Really a big learning curve!!!!

tonyf

Oct 21, 2011
Bexley, Sydney
Thanks guys!!
Well a bit of good news, the gramma has perked up and is now swimming around the tank and even ate a few pellets. Must have got some relief from the low salinity treatment. All 3 fish are doing well so far.
What a learning curve this has been. NO fish will go straight in the tank EVER again. Tank looks so bare with nothing swimming it.